SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Gevar M/96 1000 yard practical accuracy test
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gevar M/96 1000 yard practical accuracy test Login/Join 
posted
The guys at 9 hole finally take a swing at their test with one of my two favorite rifles and favorite caliber.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Great video DS. I've watched a few of his rifle shooting vids. I owned a very nice Swede which I never fired. Along with it I hung a AG42B Ljungman auto in the same 6.5. I had ammo for them which the bullets were nickle jacket. There was also a short rifle model of the M96 but I cannot recall the Model.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M 38 if i am not mistaken. I have a Husqvarna m/38 that i hunt with.

I have two m/96's and am caring for another.
If you have some picks post them up

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DSgrouse,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Othias's rundown on the Gevar m/96

https://youtu.be/hmsB8yfEwzE

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I didn't get to see the 2nd vid DS. I have been watching Iraqveteran8888 shooting the AG42B with sniper ammo out to 440 yards. Quite often banging a 8" steel popper. I never shot my 96 or Ljungman and both were fine examples. I sold off a bunch of mil surps to a guy about 40 miles away. The AG42B was on the clinton import ban list, (screw him), and when I acquired mine there were 2 in the rack, one with a stock crack. Its nice to see one being shot and they've nothing but high praise for the rifle. I never liked the later Hakim as the 8mm round is a pig. I am not sure if the SVT40 was a copy or if Sweden had the Ljungman first and the Soviets copied it. Never really cared much for the Russian round either. Besides, the Ljungman is long like the M96 but a elegant service rifle none the less. The AG42B and MAS autos never get a single mention in the mil surps topic or the rifle room. I had the bolt fed MAS in 7.5 and never found the auto version.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny how they figured out 6.5mm had a lot of accuracy potential more than 100 years before the Creedmoor.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Great video DS. I've watched a few of his rifle shooting vids. I owned a very nice Swede which I never fired. Along with it I hung a AG42B Ljungman auto in the same 6.5. I had ammo for them which the bullets were nickle jacket. There was also a short rifle model of the M96 but I cannot recall the Model.

The M38. Almost forgot the earlier M1894/14 as well.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
9-Hole Reviews is an interesting channel and it’s a little amazing that they can examine so many different weapons. I have learned any number of interesting facts from their discussions.

It’s important, though, to keep the value of their “practical” accuracy results in perspective. The sample sizes in their methods are very small and there are many significant variables that are different from one test to another. For example, they make a big deal of the fact that this rifle outperformed the previous “king” of iron sighted military rifles, the Finnish M39 Mosin Nagant, and yet the two tests weren’t even conducted on the same range with the same targets.

Thanks for the link. I’m always learning something new.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post