SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mauser Type 98 question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Type 98 question Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I was approached today about buying a Type 98 Mauser. I know nothing about them other than they are, well, a Mauser. Does anyone have any information about what to look for, what increase or decreases the value, problem areas, pricing guides, etc.?

I seem to remember that a few years ago, you could buy them from some dealer online for a not too much. Like anything else though, I’m sure that has changed.

Finally, I’m trying to get pictures but my BIL (who reached out to me for his friend who owns it) told me that it has German markings on it that sound like they are either Imperial German or Nazi. Are there differences between early and older Mauser or is the Type 98 the older one????

Thanks.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I had one, but my FIL has it now. It was a Yugoslav version. I can’t recall much besides that the Nazi stamped ones and the Israeli reworked ones were the collectible ones…

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There’s a wide, wide, wide range when it comes to Mauser 98….

There’s the Gewehr 98, a full length rifle, the 98 az, a shortened version from the First World War Imperial German service, then you get the Kar 98K for WWII.

Bunch of different German manufacturers each of which makes a difference in value, and a ton more foreign makers, again, each affecting value. Plus contract rifles….

Oh, and sporterized or all original?

I am guessing that Rouge will be along with photos in a minute, he knows his stuff on these!

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There are hundreds of different variations and configurations of Mauser 98s.

So we're going to need a lot more info, and preferably some photos, to be able to comment with any amount of detail on it.

(Currently, this is a bit like "I have the chance to buy a Sig pistol... What can you tell me about Sig pistols?" It's just too broad of a question to comment. Wink)

But if you can get some additional information and photos, I'd be happy to help. This is, as the kids say, my jam.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I guess we can ask, over or under $1k? I don’t think many exist below 1k, if legitimate.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I guess we can ask, over or under $1k? I don’t think many exist below 1k, if legitimate.

There are a number of types of Mausers still available for under $1k.

Especially if sporterized or in lesser condition.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a ‘Norwegian surrender’ K-98. There were a few 100k rifles left in Norway after the War. In the early 50’s the Norwegian military took a bunch & rebarreled them to 30-06, hence the name. Somehow it ended up in the USA.

It’s in fine shape, just over $1k.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
No way to help without more info. Photos, including closeups of receiver and barrel markings are necessary to begin answering your question.

Sourdough44, I picked up my Norwegian m/K98kF1 back when they were imported in the early 90’s. It’s a 1938 S/27, production code for Erfuter Maschinenfabrik (ERMA). One of my keepers.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post