SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Benelli M4...any cons?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benelli M4...any cons? Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Disregarding price, any reason not to go with the "best"

Been using an old 870 police for the past 15+ years. Cost 150$ used and has never not worked. But I think it's time to upgrade.

I am very much in the buy once camp so the M4 is top of my list at the moment.

Am I missing any drawbacks?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6294 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I've owned my M4 since +/- 2009 and I absolutely love it. I'd never sell it. Some people think it's heavy but I think the heft helps offset the recoil. I find it to be very handy and easy to shoot.

A lot of people report cycling issues with lighter loads, specifically during "break in". I experienced this on a few shells of light bird but lubed the gun and never looked back.

Just do it. I've never lusted for another big bore after buying my M4.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9682 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they are very good, especially if the price doesn’t bother you. I was fortunate to get one of the LE versions that came with the extension to get the full 7 rounds in the mag and functional collapsing stock. That said, I like my Beretta 1301 tactical a little better.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I think they are very good, especially if the price doesn’t bother you. I was fortunate to get one of the LE versions that came with the extension to get the full 7 rounds in the mag and functional collapsing stock. That said, I like my Beretta 1301 tactical a little better.

Can you expand on why? Weight? Controls?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6294 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Why not save money and get the M2.

Money to burn is not in my wheel house. So budget is a big factor on whatever I do.

I understand that might not be your case. But in mine, burning money for something that does nothing things that cost significantly less, makes no sense.

You could shot 1000 rds through the M4 and a half dozen other quality shotguns costing a fraction of what the M4 costs and it will not preform any better than the others.

ymmv

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
My only two complaints with the Benelli M4 were I just didn't like the stock, and what aftermarket support there is is limited and somewhat expensive. I should have kept it but my Beretta 1301 is almost as good.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
The biggest "con", IMO, is 922r compliance, if you're into that, to get full sized magazine capacity.

There's a decent enough aftermarket to make it easy to do, just adds more cost to an expensive gun (and I got mine long before they got quite so expensive).

A one piece titanium 7 round mag tube actually saves weight over the factory 5 round tube.

The Mesa Tactical short stock is far superior to the original Italian unit. No idea who the hell they think has arms that long, nor do I know why the rollover on the comb is so sharp.

Aside from replacing parts for import reasons, the lack of a non pistol grip stock is my only real gripe with the gun.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I'm the guy that length of pull was designed for, I just didn't like how cheap it felt. I much prefer the modularity of the Magpul stock on my 1301.

quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
The Mesa Tactical short stock is far superior to the original Italian unit. No idea who the hell they think has arms that long, nor do I know why the rollover on the comb is so sharp.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It is a heavy little pig.

I'd buy one if they were only expensive. They're beyond that now into silly. A couple years back when they were much cheaper, I got close. Bought two more used M2's for several hundred less than one M4. Still like to own one to check that box off, sure don't need it.

Posts: 21088 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
I'm the guy that length of pull was designed for, I just didn't like how cheap it felt. I much prefer the modularity of the Magpul stock on my 1301.

quote:

Are you part gorilla? Wink

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too, wanted an M4 and also was interested in an M2. Luckily on the same day, at three different gun shops, I was able to hold an M2, M3 and M4. I ended up with the M3. The M4 was just too heavy when compared to the others.

Worked out well as the next week the NC State Highway Patrol traded in their Beretta 1301 Tactical shotguns to a law enforcement supply business. I was able to buy two, barely ever fired for $700 each plus tax or $1500 OTD.

Posts: 230 | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd still like to have one, but I just wouldn't shoot it enough to justify it. 7-8 years ago I was standing in a shop with both an M2 and M4 on the counter. Money wasn't a huge concern, but I just couldn't put the M2 down. The value, to me anyway, was and is in the M2.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

quote:

Are you part gorilla? Wink

6'3" with a 37" dress shirt sleeve. Razz

Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
The M4 is a heavy beast. I did not like shooting it for that reason though it was well built and you could beat someone to death if you ran out of shells.

I sold the M4 and bought the 1301. It is much easier for me to handle and it is fast. Great shotgun.

Posts: 1358 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had mine for eight or nine years.

It’s never hiccuped and I love it.

Guess I never noticed the weight.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
My only complaint on my M4 is the lack of ability to add a light.

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1301 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I want to like my factory M4 SBS a lot. I'm forcing myself to because I paid the stamp and have it. It shoots full power buck and all slugs plenty fine. It won't run a tube of reduced recoil buck, much less the other low power stuff at all.

I'd trade for my 90's era M1 if I could. That said, I still like it......kinda....

Posts: 821 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

Can you expand on why? Weight? Controls?

Weight, LOP (although I have the stock in the mid position, which helps with that). I think the recoil of the Beretta is a bit nicer, and it will easily run with reduced recoil rounds.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I love mine, but the LE versions were unobtainable when I was shopping. By the time I was through upgrading and making it 922(r) compliant it gets super pricey. Mine has eaten everything we threw at it including target birdshot. Light options are not the best if you think that is necessary. IMO, the folding stock looks cool but I didn’t find it comfortable to shoot and the factory pistol grip is way too long. The MesaTac stock fixes that and completely changes the way the gun handles. It’s definitely heavy too, but I’d buy it again in a heartbeat.

Posts: 2945 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Just for reference , my M2 eats low recoil buck, full power buck, and birdshot all day long. Not a single jam ever. Bunny fart loads are fine.

Finest combat shotgun I’ve ever had in my hands.

Almost everyone in 3 gun uses them, or at least did, several years ago.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post