SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    Barrel relining. Who have you used, who do you like?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Barrel relining. Who have you used, who do you like? Login/Join 
Member
posted
Starting to investigate the process and the folks that can do the job. Anyone have any recommendations? The barrel in question is .30 caliber.

Thanks.
 
Posts: 1129 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'm curious why you would do this because I typically considered barrels as consumables. Is replacing the barrel on this particular weapon impractical or more expensive for some reason? Is it a collectability issue?


________________________________________

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
 
Posts: 18838 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Fair question. Serviceable replacements are pretty much nonexistent for this rifle. I'm only aware of one current manufacturer of replacment barrels and their barrels are in the white, don't have the front sight base mounted requiring it to be unsoldered from the original bad barrel and installed on the new one, and are threaded for rear sight screws that are a different thread than the originals requiring new screws to be made. For my specific application some machine work will also be needed on the breech end and likely will need to be finish reamed as well.

So rather than having to buy a $300+ barrel and have the breech machined, headspaced, front sight base moved over, rear sight screws made and the barrel blued before reinstallation, I figured I'd at least look into the feasibility of relining this 127 year old barrel.

Might not be possible or practical but you don't know unless you ask!
 
Posts: 1129 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Swedish Mauser?


Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com
 
Posts: 6035 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
M1899 Krag-Jorgensen Carbine.
 
Posts: 1129 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I don't know of anybody relining relatively high pressure smokeless barrels like a Krag.
JES will rebore to .35 Krag, might do .338 Krag.
Or are you going for a USGI restoration?

http://35caliber.com/8.html
 
Posts: 3515 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure it is doable either which is why I started looking around and asking questions. I have a link saved at home for a shop that would do a .30 cal liner, but their website was scant on details.

I've seen several references online to a fellow named Bobby Hoyt in PA that seems to reline all manner of things and I will try and give him a call. A friend that is big into schutzen rifles and the ASSRA also pointed me that way.

There were a couple of other names that came up as possibilities in the OR or WA area but those are at home roo.

Not a bad idea but I don't want to rebore, I want this to stay stock appearing and in the stock caliber.
 
Posts: 1129 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    Barrel relining. Who have you used, who do you like?

© SIGforum 2026