SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    An introduction to the AR15
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
An introduction to the AR15 Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I notice a particular post was deleted from this thread, which I find odd, since it was the author of the post who deleted it.
 
Posts: 98890 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
That might do the trick. My OCD makes me think lead could meander into the gas port and beyond which was a huge driver to me to get a full blown 22 upper. After the first one it just became normal to pick up another if the price was right. It’s not all roses mine are Spikes Tactical and I did have to play with the components to get it 100% or so. Mainly springs.

Glad to hear he was a good student of small arms. That’s not always the case. Sounds like it was a good day.

Edited to add: now you got us curious boss, what did we miss? lol
 
Posts: 5426 | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'll let them pipe up if they want, but I'm curious because one of my posts in this thread addressed their post, and then, their post was gone. If there's a problem, I'd like to know what it is. I don't see anything wrong with my response.
 
Posts: 98890 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
All good stuff here.

One other thought is that when you do start with the AR15 is to put an empty mag in the gun, and only allow one round loaded through the gate at a time.

Helps w the semi-auto risks


That's what I've done with new shooters, except I've loaded a "Barney Mag" with a single round. I don't want them to panic, drop it, turn around with a big grin on their face or anything else with a live round already chambered.
 
Posts: 8678 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:

...

The young man impressed me yesterday with a willingness to listen to safety rules and how a firearm operates. His accuracy was very good for a 1st time shooter also. A 22 rifle on a bench helps I'm sure. No recoil, easy handling and a 50 yard target.

I did zero my Aimpoint too and told him that a few more visits with the 22 rifle and then he can shoot the AR.


Nicely done! Now you have a student to teach and, over time, you can build a rapport with him while building up trust and hopefully increasing both his skill and interest in shooting. You get to see how he handles instruction as the shooting lessons progress. Sounds like a win to me.
 
Posts: 6940 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'll let them pipe up if they want, but I'm curious because one of my posts in this thread addressed their post, and then, their post was gone. If there's a problem, I'd like to know what it is. I don't see anything wrong with my response.


I didn't delete any post and I welcome anyone's ideas, thoughts or comments.
I just re-read this thread and I don't see anything missing.???


I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.
 
Posts: 3362 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Recoil is of no concern. A nine year old girl can shoot an AR15.

Shake the new shooter out of their trance for the magical, powerful, evil AR15 that kills on its own and have them focus on the basics of marksmanship and handling a rifle, by having them first shoot an anemic, boring rimfire fifle.


Now I got it. I had to go through it again and remember who posted.
Para's response was to another member talking about some people being recoil sensitive.
I didn't delete that comment but I do remember it.


I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.
 
Posts: 3362 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Remembering this thread, I dug out an AR A2 and the Colt .22rimfire conversion kit it came with.
Found some Aguila Super Extra High Speed .22's and went to have some fun at the indoor range.
The rifle is modified with a handguard free float adaptor, upgraded trigger, Smith Vortex flash hider and C-More red dot sight.

I fired a couple boxes of 50 rounds and only had one misfeed.

This group is at 50 feet, offhand using the C-More red dot. Its more accurate than I remembered.



_____________________
 
Posts: 14384 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Remembering this thread, I dug out an AR A2 and the Colt .22rimfire conversion kit it came with.
Found some Aguila Super Extra High Speed .22's and went to have some fun at the indoor range.
The rifle is modified with a handguard free float adaptor, upgraded trigger, Smith Vortex flash hider and C-More red dot sight.

I fired a couple boxes of 50 rounds and only had one misfeed.

This group is at 50 feet, offhand using the C-More red dot. Its more accurate than I remembered.



Nice.
My daughter and her boyfriend are coming for supper tonight and they want to shoot again. It's raining right now but maybe it'll stop this afternoon.
He will still get a 22 caliber rifle but I think he'll get the M&P 22 AR as opposed to the Marlin.
They are a blast to shoot for sure and good shooting Richard.


I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.
 
Posts: 3362 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Recoil is of no concern. A nine year old girl can shoot an AR15.

Shake the new shooter out of their trance for the magical, powerful, evil AR15 that kills on its own and have them focus on the basics of marksmanship and handling a rifle, by having them first shoot an anemic, boring rimfire fifle.


I shot M1 match rifles and 3006 bolt rifles at 9 years old. But I started shot 22 rifles at 6-7 yo



SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished
 
Posts: 5928 | Location: Duckburg, OR | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    An introduction to the AR15

© SIGforum 2022