SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Review of the SAI Optics 1-6×24mm low power variable scope and the Wilson Combat “Protector S” carbine. ** Third range report first post. **
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Review of the SAI Optics 1-6×24mm low power variable scope and the Wilson Combat “Protector S” carbine. ** Third range report first post. ** Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As an indication of how much I like the SAI 6 scope, I acquired another to use with the Wilson Combat upper in 300 Blackout I got to use on the Protector S lower. The second scope has the 7.62 bullet drop reticle and although I’m still not a fan of BDC reticles, I figured it would be a little closer to the calibration necessary for the 300 BLK than my earlier 5.56 sight.

One thing I must mention: Earlier I posted that the 1× setting provides a true no-magnification image, and that’s what I believed to be true after initial use of the original scope. Recently, though, I saw a presentation by a Leupold company representative who discussed the effect of changing the diopter setting for reticle focus. He said that changing the setting can result in a magnified image, and that if a true no-magnification view was necessary, the setting should not be changed.

Because of my deteriorating eyesight I did change the diopter setting to sharpen the reticle, and after seeing the discussion about how that could increase the image magnification I went back and conducted a careful test. The result? Sure enough, at the current diopter setting there is slight magnification of the viewing image at the 1× power setting. Based on the Leupold guy’s comments I believe that will be true of all low power scopes having a 1× magnification setting, but it’s something to be aware of.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post