SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anybody know about Stevens model 67 Series E 12 gauge pump?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody know about Stevens model 67 Series E 12 gauge pump? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
My dad was always a Stephens/savage fan. I saw this on on GB fr. heap so I thre out a low bud and won the darn thing. I don’t know anything about it but the listing said it was made in 1985. Can you still find screw in chokes for it? Reliable? Good quality? Known issues?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 8025 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Morning

My paternal grandfather had a double Stevens 12 gauge with two triggers. According to my dad, he had it when he was young so we are talking about mid 1950s.

There are few weapons in this world that I will not give a try but I have never fired that shotgun. My grandfather even put an extra thick butt pad. (Nor my fathers single shot H+R 12 gauge with a 28inch barrel. Well lets say not again)

I like Stevens weapons and everyone I knew never had a problem. According to my grandfather and dad, they were working man guns.

I have used this choke guide in the past. I have never ordered anything from them but it gives me a starting point.

Carlsons choke tubes:

Search Our Choke Interchange Guide

https://www.choketube.com/gauge/12-gauge/?cs=4086

Posts: 1838 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighthouse Keeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
My dad was always a Stephens/savage fan. I saw this on on GB fr. heap so I thre out a low bud and won the darn thing. I don’t know anything about it but the listing said it was made in 1985. Can you still find screw in chokes for it? Reliable? Good quality? Known issues?

I looked at a 67 in 20 gauge for my daughter a few years ago, but I ended up passing on it. We liked the safety on top like a Mossberg, but ended up going with the latter type, instead.

I seem to recall they're threaded for Winchester-type chokes? You might try one from a Winchester/Browning/Mossberg to check; since they’re pretty common, you might already know someone with one you can compare.

Posts: 843 | Location: America's High-Five | Registered: December 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They are... odd. I had one years ago, a slug gun. Don't know why I bought it, don't know why I sold it thing. lol

Long trigger reach? Strange trigger that you could sort of dry fire. Uncocked you could pull the trigger, it would go back, creak a little (spring noise) and click. Not particularly smooth or fancy by any means. Weren't meant to be. Something about it I liked though and regret selling (though I never would have used it, for the same reason I never should have bought it, too many "better" things for the job.

Posts: 21418 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I just remembered things... at some point I'd seen a Vietnam era photo of a soldier carrying one (or similar model) somewhere. One day I was away, visiting my sister, stopped in a local store I always hit and saw it in the rack and recognized it. "Of cool! I've never seen one in person before!" Like everything else I don't own, I wanted one. It was $150.00 I didn't buy it.

Of course I kept thinking about it. Next time my dad went to visit, I said "go in this store, if they happen to still have this shotgun, buy it! I'll pay you back." And he did, though of course he asked the same thing "It's a nice gun, but what are you going to do with it?" (We had an 870, a 37, 500, A5, 1100 and a whole bunch of break actions we hunted with, so I surely didn't NEED it.) I took it to the range a couple times, may have hunted with it once. But it didn't do anything better than the others did, some things a bit worse, so it became expendable when I needed to fun another great desire a few years later.

Posts: 21418 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick42
posted Hide Post
Call Briley in Houston. I bet they can get you with someone there that knows. If you can't find chokes for it, Briley can make them.

https://www.briley.com/

Posts: 65 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Of course I kept thinking about it. Next time my dad went to visit, I said "go in this store, if they happen to still have this shotgun, buy it! I'll pay you back." And he did, though of course he asked the same thing "It's a nice gun, but what are you going to do with it?" (We had an 870, a 37, 500, A5, 1100 and a whole bunch of break actions we hunted with, so I surely didn't NEED it.) I took it to the range a couple times, may have hunted with it once. But it didn't do anything better than the others did, some things a bit worse, so it became expendable when I needed to fun another great desire a few years later.

I inherited a Stevens-Browning Model 620 in 16ga and asked myself the same question. I brought home a couple boxes of shells along with it, but it's just been sitting. I don't even have room in the safe for it - there's two 870's, a pair of Model 12's, an 1897, a Winchester Model 37, an M1S90, a Fabarm FP6, all in a mix of 12ga and 20ga, and my great-grandfather's Parker SxS 12ga in there. I've got shotguns, and I don't even shoot them anymore. The hell I need a pump 16ga for? Sure, it's nice, but it sure isn't gonna do anything better or different than any of the others.

I looked up the 67E, and it's different from my 620 in a number of ways, so I can't really say much that would be helpful to the OP other than Stevens seems to have made a very solid firearm. It's well-made and the action is buttery smooth. If the 67E is built to a similar standard, it should provide good service for what you'd want it for. If you have an 870 or Mossberg of some stripe, I dunno that it'll do anything better, though.

Posts: 17718 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My grandpa had an older "Springfield" branded 67E that was his "good" shotgun...it was nicer than the break-action single-shots that my dad and uncle got to hunt with. When he died I got it, along with the other guns, because I was the only responsible grandson of-age at the time and living in the US. I shot clays with it a few times, and it was underwhelming...worse than my 870 in pretty much every way. I've since passed it on to my youngest brother, but I kept the break-barrel that dad hunted with and which I put a lot of work into restoring.

It's an interesting old gun. Functional, but IMO an inferior design to something like an 870 or Mossburg 500. It's been quite a few years since I've seen it, but IIRC there were some things about it that were assembled in such a way as to not be user serviceable without taking destructive action, and I didn't care for that. I think it also only had an action bar on one side, which applied the force in an unbalance manner when cycling the gun. Our model was a slug gun and the barrel was not threaded for choke tubes.

If it were not for the family history there would have been little appeal in the design, and I wouldn't buy one.

Posts: 9327 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post