SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Winchester Model 94 Sling Mount
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 94 Sling Mount Login/Join 
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted
This is on a 1948 Model 94. I have seen variations of this mount, but never one that the sling swivel tightens down against the bag tube or one that goes completely around the mag tube.

Can anyone shed light on the vintage of this set of sling swivels?

Thanks

Swivels in question.

Model 94 from 1948 in 30-30 and it's older brother an 1873 from 1891 in 38-40.

Posts: 2026 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will take a guess and say this is not a stand alone swivel, but is a custom magazine tube with a permanently mounted swivel. If not a mag tube, then some enterprising and talented gunsmith built and brazed or soldered the swivel to the tube.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Soldered barrel band sling mounts were pretty common on custom rifles in the '20s and '30s so wouldn't be too surprising if they were still floating around in the late 40s. That's what it looks like to me. By the 60s and 70s, the half moon clamp on ones were more common and much easier to install and remove.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I will take a guess and say this is not a stand alone swivel, but is a custom magazine tube with a permanently mounted swivel. If not a mag tube, then some enterprising and talented gunsmith built and brazed or soldered the swivel to the tube.

It's the original mag tube as far as I can tell. It is not brazed or soldered on. If you loosen the swivel stud, threaded to the mag tube device, it will turn freely.

quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Soldered barrel band sling mounts were pretty common on custom rifles in the '20s and '30s so wouldn't be too surprising if they were still floating around in the late 40s. That's what it looks like to me. By the 60s and 70s, the half moon clamp on ones were more common and much easier to install and remove.

Again, not soldered on.

This is a conundrum.

Posts: 2026 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
may want to surf thru one of the winchester collector books if you have access,

not sure where the appropriate forum is for older wincehsters to ask,

I picked up a pile of lever guns in 2 big estatea last year, and one estate had a small box full of similar looking swivels (one wood screw or coarse treaded, and another machine screw, but longer than what you posted for the front,

not a one of the winchesters I have left have that tube feature,

wondering if it was a catalog item??

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post