SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    Ruger 10/22 magazine questions.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Ruger 10/22 magazine questions. Login/Join 
Member
Picture of ruger357
posted
I’ve had 1022s for many years and have the 25 round Butler Creek and factory mags. I’m looking for something that has more then the 10 roundcapacity but it’s not banana clip style. Even the Ruger factory 15 round magazine seems twice as long as it should be. Have any of you found any other high-capacity magazines that work that aren’t so obtrusive? Or in the alternative, what 10 round magazine couplers have you guys used that work well? I see there’s a high tower and alangator coupler that couples two factory 10 round mags together bottom to bottom. Anyone have any experience with those?


-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
 
Posts: 8476 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I believe the banana shape is a consequence of the shape of the 22LR and not a stylistic choice.


_____________________________________________
Proverbs 3:31 "Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways."
 
Posts: 9558 | Location: Great Basin | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The "banana" shape is dictated by the cartridge. CZ 452/457 15-round magazines:



Take 15 or 25 or whatever .22LR cartridges and put them on a table side by side with the noses and rims touching, as they would be in a magazine. They will form a curve like that of the magazine. This is why the 7.62x39 cartridge in the AK, with its extreme body taper, needs a "banana clip" while the straighter 5.45x39, or our 5.56x45, needs much less curvature.
 
Posts: 32061 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Historically correct. There are modern .22 pistol magazines in the 20+ capacity size that get around that by managing to fit them as double stack single feed. The M&P 22X does this, and I believe the Taurus TX22 does as well, probably some others.

That said, I haven't seen it in a 10/22 magazine yet. I wouldn't mind it, I'm building out a couple of Chargers and want to go deep in mags but the 25rd mags seem absurdly oversized to me and factory magazine prices are frankly kind of stupid for what they are. Would be neat to see someone come out with a better, higher capacity magazine for them for reasonable.


______________________________________________
"If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”

Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
 
Posts: 19281 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I could probably use a few more 10/22 mags, 10-25 rounds.
 
Posts: 7553 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
It’s not so much the banana shape that bothers me. It’s the length. A 10 round magazine fits flush in the gun but a 15 round magazine sticks out 3 inches and a 25 round magazine sticks out four or 5 inches. I know we’re switching from a rotary style to stacked magazine with a traditional follower but I was hoping there was something that gave you 15 or 20 rounds that only stuck out a little bit from the Gun.

Looks like a factory 10 round magazine coupler is going to be the answer. Anybody have any recommendations or experience with those?


-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
 
Posts: 8476 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 383stroker
posted Hide Post
I have a half dozen or more of the alangator Tri-mag connectors, They work fine and are solid, just have to take them out and turn them every ten rounds. work best for me shooting off a bench. also have 16 BX25s and a couple of the aluminum 25 rounders that were made years ago.
 
Posts: 1099 | Location: East of the DFW Metromess | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have and have used the couplers for two mags and three mags. they work as advertised, however, they also will get in the way of your grip on the gun in certain instances. I stopped using them in favor of the 15 and 25 round mags. if you would like to try them out at no expense just shoot me an email with your name and address and I will send them to you free. If you don't like them then give them to someone else because I'm never going to use them again.
my email is in my profile.
 
Posts: 272 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Historically correct. There are modern .22 pistol magazines in the 20+ capacity size that get around that by managing to fit them as double stack single feed. The M&P 22X does this, and I believe the Taurus TX22 does as well, probably some others.

That said, I haven't seen it in a 10/22 magazine yet. I wouldn't mind it, I'm building out a couple of Chargers and want to go deep in mags but the 25rd mags seem absurdly oversized to me and factory magazine prices are frankly kind of stupid for what they are. Would be neat to see someone come out with a better, higher capacity magazine for them for reasonable.


And traditionally handgun magazines when seated diverge from the chambler closer to or further from the shooter?


_____________________________________________
Proverbs 3:31 "Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways."
 
Posts: 9558 | Location: Great Basin | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ltz400:
I have and have used the couplers for two mags and three mags. they work as advertised, however, they also will get in the way of your grip on the gun in certain instances. I stopped using them in favor of the 15 and 25 round mags. if you would like to try them out at no expense just shoot me an email with your name and address and I will send them to you free. If you don't like them then give them to someone else because I'm never going to use them again.
my email is in my profile.


I appreciate that.


-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
 
Posts: 8476 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Tandemkross sells a double 10-round magazine, fixed coupler. Ram-Line used to make a 20-round magazine that was much shorter than the Ruger BX-25. Still curved though.
 
Posts: 756 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Shout out to Itz400. He send a double and 2 triple couplers to me jiffy quick for no charge. I like both but prefer the triples. Thank you sir!!!


-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
 
Posts: 8476 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    Ruger 10/22 magazine questions.

© SIGforum 2026