SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR Noob; please help me select 300 AAC AR15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR Noob; please help me select 300 AAC AR15 Login/Join 
Picture of aileron
posted
Background: I know nothing, absolutely nothing about an AR. Never fired one, never taken one apart. Currently own only bolt and lever action rifles. Not sure what I'll do with it, but all the cool kids have one Big Grin

I'd like to buy a complete AR, not build one since I know *nothing*. Don't ask me why I want 300 Blackout, just do, ... have access to an almost unlimited supply of almost free ammo in 300 AAC. Budget is $1,500 max, $1,200 would be better.

That said, in the right rifle and right magazines, will 300 AAC run reliably? I realize it's the internet, but be gentle...

aileron

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
That said, in the right rifle and right magazines, will 300 AC run reliably?

Yes. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
300 Blockout in an AR platform.
Unlimited ammo.
Short barrel or standard 16” barrel.
Pistol carbine which allows a short barrel.
Suppressed or not suppressed.

My 2 cents- short barrel pistol with a brace is the way to go. Avoid the tax stamp- you get a SBR.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
https://www.gunsamerica.com/97...tol-02-128-19153.htm

I love 300 blk. I find it much more versatile that 556. It’s my favorite AR caliber. There are no issues with 300 blk running reliable in an AR. You’ll be GTG.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I built mine to exactly how I wanted, but after building others in the past I had the experience to know what I wanted. I didn't keep a tally, but I think it was around $1000 and I'd like to think it's a pretty solid setup and could be made much cheaper without really losing any function.

My choice for a $1000ish would be a BCM 9" pistol. Might have to buy a BCM pistol lower and pair it with a 9" 300 upper, which is just a matter of buying them and clicking them together.

Here's mine built on CMT receivers, BCM mlok rail, Ballistic Advantage 8.3" barrel, Forward Controls, Battle Arms, Q, LaRue, Geissele, KAC, Magpul parts, and topped with an Aimpoint H1. Going to be a fun blaster once my suppressor gets out of jail.

https://i.imgur.com/dUHtR1b.jpg

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
quote:

My choice for a $1000ish would be a BCM 9" pistol. Might have to buy a BCM pistol lower and pair it with a 9" 300 upper, which is just a matter of buying them and clicking them together.

This is basically what I did. No range report yet, but I love the gun. Fit and finish is great and excellent balance.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
IMHO the best niche for the 300 blackout is in an SBR or pistol with a silencer shooting subsonic ammo.

So I would go that route, 8 or 9 inch barrel, lightweight can like an Omega. That might blow your budget but at least get on that will suppress nicely down the road.

SBA3 pistol brace is very nice.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Complete guns... there are several great makers in your price range. Some that come to mind in no particular order:

BCM
Sons of Liberty Gun Works
Aero Precision
Barrett
Sig

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
Background: I know nothing, absolutely nothing about an AR. Never fired one, never taken one apart. Currently own only bolt and lever action rifles. Not sure what I'll do with it

This point should be considered first. Otherwise it's akin to going to a car dealer and stating you want to buy a car with a 4-cylinder engine. "What kind of car?" Dunno, but I have a free supply of gasoline....

What kind of ammo do you have available? Subsonic and/or supersonic? Bullet type -- FMJ, expanding tip, hollow point, copper, ballistic tip?

What will you use the AR for? Home defense, plinking, target shooting, hunting, targets of paper, targets of steel?

How and where do you intend to shoot? Indoor range, outdoor public range, private land?

What kind of distances do you intend to shoot? Near, far, in-between? Some kind of yardage expectations would help.

Do you intend to shoot suppressed?

Do you intend to use iron sights, red dot, low powered scope, high powered scope?

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Good point Fritz.

It doesn't matter how cheap your ammo is. If you buy a 300 blackout and expect to, say, shoot long range, you are going to be very disappointed.

They are a solid 200-300 yard option with supersonic ammo. Less than that with subsonics but very quiet with a silencer.

Not a bad option for home defense. General range fun, etc. Workable for a short range carbine match/carbine class.

You need to be very aware of the danger of possibly accidentally chambering a round of 300 Blackout in a 223 upper if you ever acquire an additional AR. Possible kaboomtown.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Thanks; yes I should have provided more information:
• Ammo is Barnes VOR-TX 110g supersonic
• Outdoor range, max 200 yards.
• I might try to hunt with it, but have decades with my old German made Weatherby Mk V
• Home Defense. Things aren't getting too crazy here - yet - but my brother in Portland OR tells me of some crazy shit there. I need something better than my Ruger 77, Weatherby, FNH SLP shotty, and Mossberg Nightstick.
• General plinking in the back yard. A can would be in the future, but I can shoot behind our house without one.

aileron

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I built a 10.5" pistol in 300 BLK with the KAK blade brace. Open sights, 2-300 yd steel is a kick in the pants. Suppressed subs and supers are just that much more enjoyable. The Radical Firearms barrel was a sale item, very cheap and accuracy is really impressive. My first was a 16" carbine gas, SS barrel upper from Hardened Arms. Stupid accurate at 100 yds with supers, subs were a challenge due the carbine gas port size and location. I hand load, so the Ruger American Ranch rifle was next. This little rifle allows one to shoot nearly any bullet/load combo you can make or buy very well Smile

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
• Ammo is Barnes VOR-TX 110g supersonic
• Outdoor range, max 200 yards.
• I might try to hunt with it
• Home Defense.
• General plinking in the back yard.

Barnes 110 is good ammo. It's one of the few rounds that is truly 1 MOA (or a touch better) in my SBR. And I don't mean just one set of 3 shots at 100, cherry picked from a bunch shotgun-like-patterns. I got sub-moa performance out to 370 yards -- the furthest I tested 300blk for accuracy at my range. This is $1.30 per round ammo on the market, so you've got a good thing going with the free ammo.

The VOR-TX ammo is supposed to be a good hunting round. In soft soil I found the front of the bullet opens up into nice petals, the main body of the bullet remains intact, and the bullet shows good penetration.

It's not a great bullet on steel targets. It produces a small pin prick impact on steel, and even with white-painted steel the impact isn't all that visible compared to lead bullets.

You can go with either a shorter barrel (8-12") or a longer one (16"). Under 16" and you'll be either a pistol or an SBR. A pistol is easier to take across state lines, an SBR requires an NFA tax stamp -- and a long wait. A 16" barrel will give you more muzzle velocity, which will be good for hunting. A shorter barrel will be quite loud with supersonic ammo, just sayin'.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post