SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What do we like for scar 17 / sr25 / 7.62 chest rigs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for scar 17 / sr25 / 7.62 chest rigs? Login/Join 
Picture of pepsiblue
posted
The Haley Strategic Heavy model looks good, are there better options? Being able to attach it to a plate carrier is a bonus!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2494 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
SKD,

there was another that I have interest in but cannot find it. I thought it was Okanagan and was built in the USA and was pretty affordable. Cannot seem to find right not. Some one will tell us. I probably do not have the name right.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19156 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
This maybe?
https://olongapooutfitters.com...ear/762-grab-and-go/

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2494 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is the one.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19156 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I really like that, and considered getting one. If I cannot find something suitable in a chest rig, I might go that route.

Arc.
___

posted Hide Post
That would probably annoy me, all the weight on my neck like that. Unless you wore it like a bandoleer, and used the waist strap for more stability.

Posts: 2130 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
That would probably annoy me, all the weight on my neck like that. Unless you wore it like a bandoleer, and used the waist strap for more stability.

The Olongapo Grab and Go rigs are not chest rigs. The strap goes diagonally across your torso, from the shoulder on one side to your waist on the other side, and then the waist strap goes around you to keep it from flopping around.

They do tend to conflict a bit with standard 2 point tactical slings, though... You'll usually want them to hang down on your support hand side for easier reloading and clearing of your handgun holster, but that then means both the bandoleer/grab rig and your rifle sling are hanging from your strong side shoulder across your torso.

It's better than not having it, and I used a similar rig for years as an active shooter response kit, but just understand that such a setup with dual weight hanging on your strong side shoulder tends to wear on that shoulder/trap/neck after a while.

Chest rigs are more comfortable and better suited for lengthy wear, at the price of being (generally) larger/bulkier and taking a bit longer to don than just slinging on a grab-and-go-style cross-body rig.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. OP said chest rigs, so I thought that's how folks were implying that be worn.

Posts: 2130 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:
The Haley Strategic Heavy model looks good, are there better options? Being able to attach it to a plate carrier is a bonus!

Too bulky, IMO. I prefer the Haley D3 Micro with the 7.62 mag inserts. Only two mags, but much slimmer in profile and easily attaches to my JPC 2.0.

I'm not jumping out of planes, so I don't feel the need for the bungee retention.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Only two mags, but much slimmer in profile and easily attaches to my JPC 2.0.

I'm not jumping out of planes, so I don't feel the need for the bungee retention.

I am a fan of retention. I practice all my reloads from retention. I have seen friends without retention lose mags. A mag can be lost as a result of something far less extreme than airborne operations.

Two mags is better than no mags, but two mags definitely ain't much; especially in a the .308 context. I like to have no less than four mags on my AR15 minimalist rig; I could see three being arguable though. So, assuming everyone is using standard-capacity mags, you're talking 60 rounds of .308 vs double that in 5.56. But now I am getting into the caliber debate weeds, which isn't the point. Load-out all depends on the role you intend to fill, and the circumstance(s) you're planning for.

posted Hide Post
All in the interest of learning how others deal with stuff. I have tried the Olongapo and also a chest rig identical to the Haley. But seriously I'm lost on why one would want either. When I go for serious I am grabbing my plate carrier and those have molle/pal and mag pouches on them. When I'm running and gunning for fun I prefer the mags on my belt as its way faster for me than a chest rig and the Olongapo is not even in the running for that use. FWIW

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10991 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ATS Tactical makes a 7.62 modular chest harness and a Split front 7.62 rig. Link to ATS Chest rigs. I've used their 5.56mm stuff for deployment and classes and it's been excellent quality. I'd give them a look.

Posts: 4579 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
When I go for serious I am grabbing my plate carrier and those have molle/pal and mag pouches on them.

I shared that sentiment until I started doing more with a rucksack. Now I am not sure how I feel about plate carriers. They certainly have their place, but I feel that many of the extreme hypotheticals the average Joe may be subjected to will likely require toting some stuff over a distance; especially if he's in a rural area. Wearing a plate carrier with a pack sucks. It makes sense to have a slick carrier that can be stowed in the ruck, but then you're back to the idea of a chest rig. I have also contemplated the load-carriage setups often seen across the pond, where most equipment is stowed in a low-riding LBE. Obviously it's all dictated by your circumstances. I am of the opinion that we often imagine our circumstances being a certain way that suits how we'd like our equipment to work, when the reality may have you scrambling to figure out new ways to carry your stuff.