SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Dating Colt AR by SN
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dating Colt AR by SN Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have access to a way to date an AR Colt LE SN by its SN? If so, I will email a SN.

Picking it up locally today.

Robert

Posts: 2560 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Neither of my 6920's show up when I put the SN in.
It does say it's not a comprehensive list.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Mine doesn't show up either.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Mine don't show up, either. I tried 3 different S/Ns...nothing.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My SN of the 6920 did not pop up either. Does anyone know off hand the phone number? I think this is a 6920 and owner added the quad rail; but it could be a 6940 w factory quad rail. The rail is not marked. I got this Friday. Robert

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LD6yDQwQfts3f3mRA

Posts: 2560 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
The Colt site actually worked on my 2011 6920.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6218 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
tscheimer that's definitely not a 6940. the previous owner added cheap aftermarket pieces. first thing id do is remove the grip on the mag well and see how its actually marked from Colt. probably gonna be a standard 6920.

eta I bought the 6940 from you a few years back

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I have him sending me the original parts! I took off the cheap magwell plastic, laser and red dot, so far. Yes, I sold you a nice one!

Here it is:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/78fFJJNL4N5gkAj47

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tschiemer,

MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
Worked for me.
SP29xxx
Year of Manufacture 1973 Model AR-15 SPORTER

This message has been edited. Last edited by: D_Steve,

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
It’s my understanding that the barrel is date stamped under the handguard.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
tschiemer, that's gonna be a newer production 6920..probably in the last 3-4 years. surefire giveaway is the markings are not old school Colt rollmarks. is there a cagecode near the selector?

No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tschiemer:
My SN of the 6920 did not pop up either. Does anyone know off hand the phone number? I think this is a 6920 and owner added the quad rail; but it could be a 6940 w factory quad rail. The rail is not marked. I got this Friday. Robert

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LD6yDQwQfts3f3mRA

The LE6940 is a single piece upper thru the end of the rail, not an add-on. The bottom rail slides open for maintenance. If yours has a separate quadrail that is removable It is not 6940.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
first huge giveaway too the 6940 has the fold down front sight. here is my two for comparison

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
the Colt serial number service works for most Colts until the 80's, the some models go wonky,

Biggerhammer.net has a list as well
http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
You can call colt they will confirm the details of your gun from the factory and provide you a letterhead with the info. I believe there is a charge though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nickelsig229,

First In Last Out

Posts: 4791 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post