SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig M400
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig M400 Login/Join 
posted
I never seem to hear much good or bad about Sig M400s, How do you rate them?

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Can't remember anything bad about them on here.

Weird reading about a Sig product without a bizarre name like Rattler or something like that. Just simple, M400.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15302 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
Our dept. got about 15 of them about 18 months ago. We are happy with them. No issues, we have cans on them.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one, it's my one and only AR platform rifle. Bought it around the start of Obummer's second term when there was a lull in the "panic". Haven't had a single issue with it over a few thousand rounds at least, and I shoot mostly steel case Russian ammo. Did put a heavy buffer in it but the BCG, recoil spring, and fire control stuff is all stock. Goes bang every time and is probably more accurate than I am so I'm happy.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It's an AR. Not much different than any other AR, which is probably why they don't get much press. They're good rifles, a buddy has had one for years and is very happy with it. I've gotten to handle a few and was happy with how they were put together. I also tore one apart and re-assembled it a bunch of times in an armorer course. A little heavy on the ambidextrous stuff for my taste, but I guess that's just how things are these days...it's not truly tacticool unless it's got a bunch of extra oversized levers and buttons to catch on stuff and get in the way.

The only real problem I've had is getting my hands on them. We're supposed to be getting some of them in for work...ordered them back in January. Still waiting.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might be one Sig that you'll always be able to get parts for?

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one in FDE. I got it in 2016 before the election because I had managed to not get an AR since I started shooting (again) in 2011. I dropped in a Geiselle basic optimized trigger and added an ACOG 3.5x fixed optic (that I got for a super-good price) and that's it. I've probably put 3-4k problem-free rounds through it. Oh wait, I did have to replace the gas rings on the bolt when the accuracy was going to hell, and that did the trick.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the M400 guns are quite nice. I like ambi controls, as I have done some practice scenarios where they certainly came in handy. The scenarios were not ones that excluded the use of my primary firing hand, but rather ones that had me reloading and fixing malfunctions while trying to utilize a small piece of cover.

I think the M400 walks all over a Springfield Saint, and most other DI guns in it's price bracket.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dig mine, and used it as a patrol rifle while gainfully employed. It's just a no-frills rifle that runs.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The M400 quality is on par with the Colt 6920 rifles. At least, it's on a par with what Colt used to put out. I don't know what they're doing these days, but I wouldn't want a new Colt.

A few years back, a member posted a side by side comparison- M400 and a Colt 6920. Call it a toss-up.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
For the price, it's a very good gun. Honestly, the Tread rebranding of the M400 means they come with a good ecosystem of accessories (rails, etc.) if you're into one-stop shopping (which a lot of new folks are). Coupled with a built-in QD attachment point on the lower receiver, that's some good bang for the buck.

The only gripe I would have is that I don't like the way SIG executes its ambi mag controls (speaking from owning an MCX and an MPX). The ambi mag catch is excessively large and too close to the bolt release.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had an M400 for several years. As some have said, it is a solid M4 platform and is well built. I have had no reliability problems with it. From the factory, it had a very bad trigger: gritty and very heavy pull. I replaced it with a Geissele which was a vast improvement. I also put a Leupold 1.5x4 Firedot scope on it. I agree with some comments that I could have done without some of the ambi controls. Overall it has been trouble-free and compares favorably with my Colt 6920 which was manufactured about 5 years ago.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find the prolific distaste for ambi controls interesting. I think it's a logical progression in rifle design. I have had more trouble out of contemporary oversized charging handles, than I have had out of ambi controls, and you don't often hear anyone complain about charging handles.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I find the prolific distaste for ambi controls interesting. I think it's a logical progression in rifle design. I have had more trouble out of contemporary oversized charging handles, than I have had out of ambi controls, and you don't often hear anyone complain about charging handles.

For me I guess it's personal preference. I came up with standard controls, trained to operate the rifle with either hand, and it's just second nature to me now. When I pick up a rifle that has the oversized or ambi controls, I end up feeling stuff I don't expect to be there (the oversized bolt release is the worst for this), and I end up having to divert my attention and look at the rifle to make sure I'm pressing the correct controls. It's more complicated and makes me slower. Ambi safeties suck because the right-side lever hits my hand when it rotates while I have my trigger finger indexed against the side of the receiver. The oversized levers and buttons are also just inviting more stuff to get bumped or hang up on all the crap hanging off the front of my plate carrier.

None of this stuff is the end of the world, and with time and practice I could probably get used to them, but why? They don't do anything for me that I can't do with my regular mil-spec stuff, they're more complicated, and IMO just get in the way. It doesn't bother me in the least if somebody else wants them or benefits from them in some way (I get it, we weren't all born right-handed)...by all means do what you want with your own rifle. I just wish companies would quit this trend of shoving this stuff down our throats as standard equipment from the factory.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
For me I guess it's personal preference. I came up with standard controls...
Ambi safeties suck because the right-side lever hits my hand when it rotates while I have my trigger finger indexed against the side of the receiver. The oversized levers and buttons are also just inviting more stuff to get bumped or hang up on all the crap hanging off the front of my plate carrier...
They don't do anything for me that I can't do with my regular mil-spec stuff, they're more complicated, and IMO just get in the way...
I just wish companies would quit this trend of shoving this stuff down our throats as standard equipment from the factory.

I think we're actually more-or-less on the same page. I learned how to shoot with a mil-spec rifle as well, and for the most part, I keep my guns in a traditional configuration. I have had ambi controls come in handy on enough occasions that I prefer to have them, and have run into those same circumstances without them after the fact, which served to reinforce their usefulness for me. What I realized I ought to clarify is the fact that I don't use them unless a specific situation arises that necessitates their use. I don't use them to "enhance" my regular manipulations in any way. They are a "rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" feature for me.

The ambi safety is actually a piece I do use pretty regularly because I became accustomed to using the knuckle on the index finger of my firing hand to re-engage the safety, after shooting Sig 55X guns as much as I have. I now find that method more comfortable. As far as the other controls go, I use a Norgon-style mag release, which has little impact on existing layout and feel, and a Badger "enhanced" bolt catch (not ambi), as it protrudes just a little bit more than normal on the bottom, to clear the slightly more protruding Norgon, and gives me a bit larger paddle on the top, which I appreciate (I know we differ on that). I have never had a problem with any of these interfering with my kit. Oversized charging handles are a different story, and I don't care for them because of that. I grind down the outboard lever on my ambi safeties, to mitigate the interference you mentioned.
In conclusion, I agree with you. Someone who is practiced with regular controls likely won't have their shooting experience improved by ambi controls. I don't actually make a habit of using mine, but they're there to help me in rare situations that highlight their usefulness. My ambi safety usage is a side effect of practicing a lot on two different rifles, and only comes into play when re-engaging the safety, so I wouldn't be severely handicapped if you gave me a rifle without it.
I don't think the industry is shoving it down our throats by any means. Most guns don't have them. I do think that the only way to do them right is to design a receiver around them, and not add them after the fact. Especially with the bolt catch and release controls (the main reason I don't pursue those controls on my guns). I guess one could argue that it sucks if a manufacturer only offers rifles with them, and not without, but that's pretty rare, I think.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy with mine. I have an enhanced, with the Magpul stock parts, and it has been perfect, and has never had a malfunction. I find it to be very accurate, as well.

Some people complain that they are not "mil spec" which is fine by me. Mil spec requires a chrome barrel, and the older M400 barrels are nitride rather than chrome, which I prefer.

Newer M400 class guns appear to have stainless barrels, which is kind of nice at the pricepoint.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think we're actually more-or-less on the same page.

Agreed. And some of my frustration is probably enhanced by having to work with what my department gives me (and the limited options that the LE distributors offer them). At the end of the day I'm glad we went with the SIG as the M400 is a solid rifle and should fulfill our needs for years (provided they actually get them to us at some point). We also looked at the MCX which is truly an excellent rifle (albeit a bit heavy), but double the money and overkill for what we need on the road.

posted Hide Post
I got one back in 2014. Couldn't be happier. Little upgrades like the extra support for the extractor, the tension lock in the lower, and mine came with a great trigger.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Achievement Unlocked
Picture of SIGnul 9
posted Hide Post
I've had an M400 for a while now and have nothing bad to say about it. Stock internals and never had an issue. Finish has held up well.

This is one of the few signals that can't be caught or blocked; when a process is sent SIGKILL, it never runs again. This is signal 9, as in the ever-popular kill -9

Posts: 1050 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: August 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was given this PM400 years ago and SBRd it. No complaints.

Posts: 67 | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post