SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    (Video) Emerging optic configuration: Offsetting a 3x Prism, the future is now!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(Video) Emerging optic configuration: Offsetting a 3x Prism, the future is now! Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi, all.

I ran across this video yesterday in my YouTube feed. It's from Jeff Gurwitch, who is retired from U.S. Army Special Forces. It's yet another "new trend", but to me it does make sense if your rifle use case and shooting need is primarily 1x with the occasional need for magnification. It's an interesting setup, and I'll be curious to see how things develop vs LPVOs. The video made me think, which is a good thing. Just sharing for the good of the membership.

Chris

Posts: 2342 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess that could be useful in certain situations like competitions but for the everyday Joe, I don't know, seems to be a bit much. I would prefer an Acog with a top mounted dot sight.

I will say that the Primary Arms 3x Micro Prism I have, is quite impressive. I got it in a trade deal and it is growing on me. It takes a bit of getting used to but is nicely made. I think I still prefer a good dot sight over it though, as for me the dot sight is more practical for my shooting/applications.

Posts: 7105 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I guess that could be useful in certain situations like competitions but for the everyday Joe, I don't know, seems to be a bit much.

Agreed. Very slightly faster than flipping up/down a 3x magnifier, or throwing a lever on a LPVO. But that's likely to be more useful in competition than most real-world situations, where you're unlikely to need to be engaging both near and far targets in split-seconds.

And you can get 95% of the same effect with just a 3x prismatic sight anyway. With a little training, you can learn to utilize a low magnification optic with an illuminated reticle as a collimator sight in CQB. (Bindon Aiming Concept)

Having a magnified optic and a red dot offset from each other makes more sense if you're primarily using a large highly magnified optic, but also still potentially need to be able to use the same rifle in close quarters. Something like a precision rifle with a primary 6-12x scope on top and a secondary offset red dot for shit happens.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post