SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    CMP Rack Grade arrived today. Stock must be low this one is a bit rough
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CMP Rack Grade arrived today. Stock must be low this one is a bit rough Login/Join 
Picture of redlickranch
posted
Decided to pick up another Garand from the CMP. Rack grades are still selling for $650 and the last one I got was really nice with a small crack in the handguard, but ME and TE were 2+.

Got one today and the stock looks fine. Barrel has a bunch of rust, but the inside looks to be good. I plan on cleaning up the stock and then working on the barrel rust. As long as it shoots good i'll be happy.

Pics....

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Well, its been buried in the sands of Iwo Jima for 70+ years, sooo ... not so bad.

Bet it will look good and shoot well when you get it finished.

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For rust removal Evapo-Rust is the best thing I've come across so far. Haven't tried it on any firearms, yet, but it works great on tools, battery trays (steel), etc.

From my experience, it will remove the rust and crud from whatever I put in the solution but leaves the paint/original finish as-is.

https://www.evapo-rust.com/

or you could sent to Tim Shufflin at Shuff's Parkerizing:

https://shuffsparkerizing.com/

Tim has done a few Garands and Carbines for me and I bought, and still enjoy, one of his Mini-Gs a number of years ago.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I'll check out evapo rust. I was kicking around some High Heat spray paint. Smile

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best rust renewal I've ever seen is Rust Bluing and your halfway there already. All you have to do is boil that stripped receiver and barrel. It will probably take 4 to 6 40 minute boils with light brushing between boils but once finished you will not believe the improvement. I once knocked a wood rasp off my bench into a pile of sawdust and had a bit of seepage during a heavy thunderstorm to dampen things up. Got busy and forgot about that pile and when I cleaned it up about a year later that rasp looked like a ball of rust with a handle. Knocked the handle off, bushed wat I could of the sawdust off and boiled it 3 times and I now have a new looking wood rasp with a high quality bluing job.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Most of the current batch of CMP Garands came from the Phillippines, where they were subjected to tropical conditions and poor maintenance.

Compared to the significantly better condition of earlier large batches from places like Denmark, Italy, and Greece, where they were treated better.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post