SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Who enjoys a relaxing day with a .22 (add your favorites)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who enjoys a relaxing day with a .22 (add your favorites) Login/Join 
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted
Had a fun day with the family Saturday.
My sons brought their girlfriends out to the farm property, and we casually plinked at all sorts of tin cans and those little spinner targets.

Had a blast, wife made some great food, what a nice day.

No "tactical" anything, just good old fashioned .22's.

L/R,
Mossberg 144 LS-A, 1960-69 mfg. With a Vortex 4-12
Remington 581, topped with an old Weaver 2.5-7
Remington 514 (single shot) 1951 mfg
Winchester 67A, (single shot) 1950's to 1960's mfg
Henry 20" Octagon Frontier model
Ruger 10/22. This one I put together as a very lightweight little rifle for the ladies. Primary Arms dot, Hogue stock and a lightweight sleeved barrel.

Please add your favorite .22's you enjoy....

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
A Browning BAR-22 (not the SA-22). This was only in production from 1977-1985.

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
22’s actually take up most of my shooting time. Between bullseye pistol competition,steel challenge and nrl22 I shoot probably 10x as much 22 as center fire.
I tend to like old classic steel and wood rifles.
Right now my interest is running a supressor finally and with nrl22 won’t want to ding up blue and wood with all the positions and barricades so have a simple savage mark II for that.
I have been having fun with a horribly ugly rough condition Winchester 1906 that shoots much better than it should considering it’s condition. 22’s are simple fun, and despite being involved in lots of different competition with them try not to spoil the fun by taking it too seriously

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
CZ 452 w/ Wolf Gold ammo...absolute tack driver

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bolt action .22 stamped "Sears and Roebucks." No idea what it's supposed to be modeled after or which major manufacturer made it but it's a fun small caliber rifle to shoot. The sights are slightly off so it shoots 1-1.5" to the left at 25 yards.

I use it primarily for first time shooters so they can get acquainted with how a gun works, trigger control, etc. It's great when they put a nice group together but are disappointed that they pushed all the shots left. That's when I explain the sight issue and compliment them on their discipline and urge to use a little Kentucky windage.

That rifle is also great for a friendly shooting competition where we share the rifle. After I win a couple I let them know about the sights then the competition really begins.

My other .22 is a MP-15 22. Great gun but eats ammo way too quickly and has a 4.5-14x scope so everything is easy to see at .22 distances. I prefer the bolt action just because it's a little more challenging and I won't run through $20 of ammo in 10 minutes.

Posts: 797 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin Golden 39A Lever, Ruger 10/22, Marlin stainless semi auto(can't remember the model), Browning Lever and an M&P.
Browning lever is my favorite. Older rifle, dark wood and short lever throw.
Been a while since I've had any of them out.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
CZ 452 w/ Wolf Gold ammo...absolute tack driver

Love CZs. Great pic, thanks for sharing it.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I prefer the bolt action just because it's a little more challenging and I won't run through $20 of ammo in 10 minutes.

There's something really fun about a bolt action .22..

Your post reminded me of some good times when I started dating my wife and would hang out with her brother and father-in-law on his property (never grew up around rifles as a kid, fixed that after moving out to the country) shooting shotgun hulls and just shooting the shit. Thanks for that.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Those are some pretty .22's GCE61.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
A BAR in 22lr. ? Who knew. Now I really want one. I love my Browning 22s. I have a BL 22 and the take down and just love the scale. Not a big caliber so not an over large firearm.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
A BAR in 22lr. ? Who knew. Now I really want one. I love my Browning 22s. I have a BL 22 and the take down and just love the scale. Not a big caliber so not an over large firearm.

Around the same time they also made a pump rifle version. It's called the Browning BPR-22 and came in .22LR and .22Mag. I've got one in LR and it's a nice shooter. I'll try to take a pic or two.

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Over here in UK I have seven .22 rifles, four bolt-action, two Martini-action and a single semi-auto that my dad bought back in 1930. They don't all get used at once, and we have no farm to invite people over to have a shoot-n-picnic, but we have a great deal of fun on a gun club guest day, when I usually bring three or four out for an airing.

Posts: 11313 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Look at the wood on some of those oldies. Even the cheapos had fantastic walnut back then.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1863 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Around the same time they also made a pump rifle version. It's called the Browning BPR-22 and came in .22LR and .22Mag

I've seen that model but not shot one. I have a Taurus model 62 pump 22lr that is like the old Winchester 62 except with a really ugly safety on the top of the receiver. It's still moderately cool .

And fiasconva is right.Many old rifles , even 22s intended for the bargain market are built well with good stocks.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I finally bought a Ruger 22/45 to give this one some rest, but if I want a relaxing day of plinking the Woodsman still gets the call.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles, OP! I love a nice older .22, particularly bolt and lever actions. Sometimes it's fun to go out and just work on basic marksmanship without having to worry about noise and recoil, plink some cans with the kids, or my guilty pleasure confession as a reloader...not have to worry about recovering all your brass!

Personally, I have a Marlin problem. Here are a few of mine:

Glenfield Model 70

Model 56 Levermatic

Marlin 25 and Glenfield 25

And my favorite, Model 39a. The pic is from when I first got it...scope and bases are gone now, holes plugged, and iron sights repaired.

I also enjoy a good .22 handgun.

Posts: 8528 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Look at the wood on some of those oldies. Even the cheapos had fantastic walnut back then.

Thanks, the 4 from the left I’ve stripped and refinished using oils and stain from Paul at Slippery Dicks Wax.

They were all in various stages of “beat to crap” and each had the original factory finishes of brown syrup type shellac.
I steamed up the dents and each was a winter project.
The REM 514 was the biggest surprise of how nice the wood grain was as I stripped the old stuff off.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I thought maybe they had been refinished but the wood is still beautiful and if it were not that high quality you may not have bothered. They look good.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1863 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Currently I have a M&P15-22 and a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite. My favorite .22 of all time, however, was a CZ bolt action, what they call a "Training Rifle." I could shoot the whiskers off gnats with it.

Posts: 27920 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I was going to take a picture of my Browning BPR-22, but decided on a family pic of all my .22 long guns:

From left to right:
3 Marlin 39As (1 each from 40s, 50s & 60s)
Winchester 94-22
Browning BPR-22
Marlin 20A that was re-barrelled with a Win 67A barrel
Remington 572 FieldMaster
Remington 552 SpeedMaster
Ruger 10-22 (with original walnut stock)
LakeField Mark II (these became the Savage Mark II)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: clang,

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post