SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scout rifles - Ruger, Savage etc. - what do you think?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scout rifles - Ruger, Savage etc. - what do you think? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I've kind of got the scout rifle bug (in .308), but I haven't been able to actually handle one. I'm kind of thinking Ruger for the Mauser action. but I kind of like the Savage as well.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on these rifles.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
More monies but I have always loved the Steyr Scout the most!

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd like to hear your thoughts on these rifles.
Two thoughts on the category:
1. Solution looking for a problem.
2. Everything a scout rifle can do an AR15 or AR10 can do better.

The only time I came close to purchasing one was when I lived in Can-eh-duh. It took me 10 months to get the PAL and it was just the basic PAL allowing items not restricted or prohibited (e.g. 18.5" or longer barreled bolt action rifles and shotguns) since the next level of license was supposed to take an additional 6 months. I came close to buying a scout rifle to have a SD gun instead of 24" hunting rifle and 28" hunting shotgun.

As far as the two rifles you listed:
  • Neither makes Cooper's 7.0 lb weight restriction. If you want to get there on a budget Ruger makes a short barreled American at 6 lbs and Howa's is exactly 7 lbs. If you can increase your budget the Steyr is 6.6. lbs.
  • If there is a chance of deer hunting in one of the states that went from shotgun only to straight walled cartridge then 450 bushmaster makes sense

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23638 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I have a Ruger GSR in .308 (Model 6830) with the shorter barrel and synthetic stock. GREAT gun! I have a Burris 2-7 Scout scope on it and she rocks. Tons of fun, and in a compact, lightweight hard hitting package. The Colonel would be proud.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 989 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Delta-3
    posted Hide Post
    I have the Ruger GSR in 308 & one in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both have been outstanding rifles! They have been very accurate & dependable.

6.5CM

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 720 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
    I have a Ruger GSR in .308 (Model 6830) with the shorter barrel and synthetic stock. GREAT gun! I have a Burris 2-7 Scout scope on it and she rocks. Tons of fun, and in a compact, lightweight hard hitting package. The Colonel would be proud.

I have the same gun and scope but in green wood. I second everything you said. Swap it with some magpul 10 rd mags and you can load it with mag in gun or swap mags. Makes for a great truck gun riding around the ranch.

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 496 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Leemur
    posted Hide Post
    My cousin’s son used his .308 Ruger scout rifle once and never gave it back. He’s been mass murdering deer with it in central NC for the last two seasons. I haven’t heard him make so much as a negative peep about it.

Posts: 13826 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Delta-3
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I have a Burris 2-7 Scout scope on it and she rocks. Tons of fun, and in a compact, lightweight hard hitting package.

Exactly! That's a Burris 2-7x on my 6.5CM. I've gone through a few scout scopes & the Burris is by far the best all around.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 720 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Age Quod Agis
    Picture of ArtieS
    posted Hide Post
    I have a Springfield M1A Scout Squad and I love it. At 8.8 pounds it doesn't make Cooper's weight restriction, but neither do AR pattern .308 guns.

I have a Vortex 2-7 scout scope on it and it's a great field gun.

Pic Posted!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12915 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    "Member"
    Picture of cas
    posted Hide Post
    The thing I like most about the scout setup is being able to wrap my hand around the action at the center of balance and carry it one handed.

I have a Styer and I'm torn. I always say, I love the back half of the rifle. The front half doesn't do much for me, so I resent paying so much extra for it.

Posts: 21337 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 4x5:
    I've kind of got the scout rifle bug (in .308), but I haven't been able to actually handle one.

You should handle one first. Better yet, use one in the manner you intend shoot down the road.

I'm not thrilled about scout-type rifles. Sure, they're lighter and shorter than traditional rifles. Therefore, they have a place in hunting. But I don't like the scope-forward setup and I don't like scout-type scopes.

Posts: 7990 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Freethinker
    Picture of sigfreund
    posted Hide Post
    If you’re seeking a lightweight, quick-handling rifle for something like hunting (and I can see the appeal in many situations), there are countless good options that don’t have “scout” in their model names. I don’t have too much experience with such guns, but if I were interested, I’d choose it on the basis of cartridge, barrel length, type of sight, its smooth reliable operation, and intended use.

As for the original “scout” concept as envisioned by Cooper as a military weapon, the most charitable thing I can say about it was that it might have had some relevance to real world applications during the Boer War or perhaps as late as WW I.

When the genuine scouts of the Army’s Studies and Observation Group went scouting in Vietnam 50+ years ago, their primary weapons bore some little resemblance to Cooper’s concept by being short and light, but they were chambered for the 5.56mm cartridge, usually had iron sights, and were capable of full automatic fire. In addition, the scouts carried lots and lots of ammunition, but even then they sometimes ran out. Even when operating in thick jungle, it wasn’t always possible to slip away from skilled, determined pursuers so easily after firing a few quick aimed shots as Cooper imagined.

My most common shooting drill is a “comprehensive skills” course that involves many different stages with rifle and handgun. I usually use an AR for the course, but just to say I can do it, I sometimes shoot the course with a 223 Tikka T3 bolt action rifle and the scopesight set on low power. It’s therefore similar to the scout gun except for caliber and scope location. Does that gun do a little better at 50 yards than an AR with an Aimpoint? Yes, but only slightly, and for everything else—primarily engaging multiple targets quickly near to far—the AR is obviously far better.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47660 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    My swedish mauser carbine with a scout scope set up.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of T.Webb
    posted Hide Post
    While I'm not a fan of the forward sitting optic, I had the Ruger .308 Scout topped with a 1 1/2X% Leopold scope in the traditional scope location.

As I recall, it was a very accurate little rifle.

But alas, I sold it to fund the Steyr which I was sidetracked from buying by something else.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    You're going to feel
    a little pressure...
    posted Hide Post
    I have the Ruger GSR with the synthetic stock. It is significantly lighter than the laminate wood stock.
    I added the XS sights full rail for more scope mounting options. I tried the Leupold 1.5-4 in the traditional location and didn't love it. Wrong balance point and too heavy. I recently switched to the Burris scout scope 2.75 x 20 in the forward position. Much lighter scope and better balance.
    I have yet to put her through her paces but I do like the way it handles in dry practice.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    "Member"
    Picture of cas
    posted Hide Post
    A month ago I came very close to buying an Aimpoint micro to put on my Steyr. Just have a problem with $650 dot sights, especially ones that will probably spend 355 days a year in the safe. Where as my scout scope is paid for and I can hit things with it way out past distance I've got any business shooting things at. Smile

It is tempting though. Wink

Posts: 21337 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bolt Thrower
    Picture of Voshterkoff
    posted Hide Post
    Way too many of the commercially available scout rifles are heavy. There are several lightweight hunting rifles that make a better base for a scout project.

Posts: 10040 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I had a steyr scour at one point but sold it awhile back, apparently mine was fairly desirable because of the bolt knob which was sort of flat and not really a knob but I didn’t know that at the time. Wish I’d held on to it.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ruger357
    posted Hide Post
    I have the ruger and like it. Very accurate. I wish I had the synthetic stock though. The wood is very heavy. Does anyone make a lighter drop in stock in left hand format?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 8009 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I have the Ruger Gunsite in 308 and it's a decent rifle. BTW, I have mine setup as a true Scout Rifle with a Nikon 3-9 power handgun scope mounted to the rail. Accuracy from a cold barrel is quite good but mine has a tendency to string vertically as the barrel heats up. I suspect the cause is the mounting rail for the forward scope mount but I'll be the first to admit that's just a hunch. As for function, the polymer magazines are hands down VASTLY superior than the original issue steel magazines. As for the weight, it really doesn't bother me at all but am used to throwing around a nearly 8 lbs. O/U shotgun every weekend busting clays. In regards to the trigger, it's a nice crisp trigger but some may find it a bit heavy.

As for what it is NOT, that is a super precision rifle, it's a basic brush gun and while you may be able to get sub MOA with a custom tuned hand load you won't ever be using 1/2 inch dots as targets. Good news is that it is a Ruger T-77 so if you want to go whole hog and mount something like a heavy profile Shilen barrel on it that will be easy to do.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post