SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    USMC: Are the days of pulling pits at the rifle range coming to an end?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USMC: Are the days of pulling pits at the rifle range coming to an end? Login/Join 
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I never really minded doing it. Especially after bootcamp when I could joke around with my friends.

One of those random memories I have from bootcamp that most people don't get is one of the drill instructors sitting us all down the day before live fire began and reminding us that it was against the Corps values to cheat, but that we were pulling targets for our brothers and if by the time they got to the 500 yard line they were a shot or two away from qualifying we should all remember that we were issued 5.56mm inksticks that could easily put a hole in a piece of paper.

During boot camp is when I most enjoyed being in the pits and I have the same memories of helping a fellow recruit if it was needed. After boot camp I just wanted to be at the firing line sending rounds down range.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Fort Knox Kentucky 1964. We pulled pit duty. Excellent opportunity for a smoke break.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I’m in the foreground with the yellow faced dive watch.
Loved coaching on the range... pull targets not so much.

*** head down, listen for the Crack echo off the target face.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CMP has been using electronic scoring targets at their Talladega range for several years. They are now offering the systems to CMP clubs.

http://thecmp.org/competitions.../cmp-target-systems/

http://www.kongsberg-ts.no/en/index.php?

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
You didn't just pull targets, it gave the DI's plenty of time to screw with you.

I remember having to relace my boots, while my buddy pulled the pits by himself. Marking, changing targets, etc...

I had to restring my fucking boots...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post