SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    NIGHTFORCE eye relief?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NIGHTFORCE eye relief? Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I recently added a couple rifles to the safe.
I have Burris, Nikon, Leupold,Bushnell,and few lesser brands on my rifles and handguns now.
For the two new guns, a Mark V 257 Weatherby and a Weatherby Mark V in 30/06 I considered trying Nightforce optics from there SHV line.
Neither of these rifles will probably ever go on a hunt, they are destined for range use and enjoyment.
In my research of different brands the Nightforce seems to have less eye relief than the other brands, is this conservative rating by the manufacturer, or is there really less eye relief than the other major brands in the same price point.
As much as I would like to try the Nightforce brand I might have to go with a leupold or my current favorite the Burris XTR because of this issue.

Posts: 4618 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never noticed any eye relief issues with my 3 NXS models. I've certainly never been hit by the scope.

Posts: 8953 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an nxs and had a SHV, I never noticed any eye relief issues but moved on from the SHV scope in favor of one from SWFA and couldn’t be happier with the switch.

I really didn’t like the MOAR reticle or the capped turrets on that sort of a scope.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not a direct answer, but something that everyone who uses magnified optics should be aware of and understand about the interconnected elements of magnification, eye relief, and field of view:

Optical Triangle

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47393 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I have heard about less forgiving eye boxes but no complaints about eye relief. I would think that would t be an issue in a range gun. What magnification are you interested in? I’m not impressed with the Low power nightforce. First Focal Plane reticles in low power scopes seem useless to me.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I have heard about less forgiving eye boxes but no complaints about eye relief. I would think that would t be an issue in a range gun. What magnification are you interested in? I’m not impressed with the Low power nightforce. First Focal Plane reticles in low power scopes seem useless to me.

Looking at the,
3-10 x 42 for the 30/06
4-14 x 50 (or 56) for the 257 Weatherby Mag.

Posts: 4618 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:

Looking at the,
3-10 x 42 for the 30/06

The SHV 3-10 is what I had, seemed big and heavy for a set and forget scope. The 4-14 with the f1 turret should be pretty cool, that scope on a 257wby would make a killer setup for antelope.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most Nightforce scopes have eye relief in the 3.5" to 3.75" ballpark. The SHV F1 4-14x is an exception, with 3.15" of eye relief.

The Burris XTR line is pretty much 3.5" to 4.25" across the board.

I've shot magnum caliber rifles (50 BMG, 338LM, 300 Norma, 300 WM) with the 3.5" eye relief of S&B PMII scopes and never had any issues. IMO if 3.5" relief is an issue, then almost certainly the shooter's technique is the problem -- usually because the shooter doesn't have the buttstock placed firmly in the shoulder pocket or clavicle.

Weight of a scope makes absolutely no difference for a rifle that will only be transported between the back of an SUV and the firing line of a range.

I have Nightforce scopes from the ATACR, NXS sfp, NXS ffp, NXS compact, and SHV lines. I have two 4-14x SHV ffp scopes -- the glass is really quite clear, especially for a scope in this price range. SHV scopes are a great addition to the NF line.

"As much as I would like to try the Nightforce brand I might have to go with a leupold or my current favorite the Burris XTR"

Burris sponsors a few precision/steel/tactical matches each year. Their rep is a great shooter and he brings a number of their scopes to matches to fondle and sometimes use on demo rifles. I generally like the feel of the Burris scopes.

- If you're comfy with the Burris XTR line,
- If Burris XTR does what you want it to do,
- If you've looked at other scope brand side by side against Burris and these other brands don't do something that Burris already does,
- Then there's no reason to buy another brand of scope "just because".

Stick with what works for you and what you know -- As long as you're certain a switch doesn't improve your utility.

Posts: 7865 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:IMO if 3.5" relief is an issue, then almost certainly the shooter's technique is the problem -- usually because the shooter doesn't have the buttstock placed firmly in the shoulder pocket or clavicle.

I agree with you about technique being a factor. I'd also add that mounting a scope too far forward will get you hit. It sounds counterintuitive, but guys with their scopes too far forward tend to "lean in" to get a full image instead of keeping their head more upright. That "lean" gets your eyebrow even farther ahead of your eyeball and you get smacked.

Posts: 8953 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I have 6 Nightforce scopes never had a problem with inadequate eye relief.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never had an issue with any of the eight NF scopes I have. And one is on a 50.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Looking at the,
3-10 x 42 for the 30/06

I have a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 on my Sako A7 in .30-06.
And I mounted a SHV 3-10x42 on my buddies Tikka T3 Stainless in .270.

I've shot both rifles extensively and both of those scopes have a very forgiving eye box and good eye relief. They are pretty similar in this regard with the NXS just having slightly better glass and some additional features. If the SHV fits your budget I think it's a great choice.

I also have a SHV 4-14x50 F1. I previously had it mounted on a Sako 85 Finnlight in 300WM. On that rifle the combination of: limited ring mounting options, light weight, shorter eye relief, and sharp recoil, led to a few instances where I did get some scope/eye contact when in some awkward shooting positions.

I now have the same scope mounted on a Sako A7 Long Range in 300WM. It's a much heavier rifle with much lighter recoil, with better ring/mount options, and the scope is now perfect fit. No issues at all with it being too close.

I have a few other NF scopes on other rifles and they have all been excellent.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post