SIGforum
Question for hunters of large game moving targets (deer, elk, etc.):

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/2690020644

August 25, 2018, 11:36 AM
apprentice
Question for hunters of large game moving targets (deer, elk, etc.):
Personally I've only pulled off two running shots I can remember, and both were at closer range than the OP's poll is asking about.

Trying to think of the odds of getting a rifle to shoulder, picking the spot, putting the crosshairs on the spot, and then having a running animal actually end up there to meet the bullet as planned at 100 yards or more. Pretty freaking long odds in my opinion.

If we are talking about mule deer I'd say forget it. Their bouncing run is both hysterical and effective.

Regardless of prey, I'd think that a swinging lead would tend to give a better estimate of where to send the tiny fast spinny thingy.
August 25, 2018, 05:41 PM
newmexican
I try not to take shots like that, I’d really hate to gut shoot and lose an animal, it happened to me once before and that was more than enough times for me.
August 26, 2018, 06:20 AM
sigfreund
Thanks to everyone who responded. Unlike the question about birds and other aerial targets, I didn’t know what to expect with this one, and the replies were informative.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato