SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Quality lowers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality lowers Login/Join 
posted
Simple question: I'm looking for high quality lower for 223 and for 308. Recommendations appreciated.

Posts: 2540 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
My last two were ‘Spikes’, worked out fine, 223.

It seems there’s a fair amount of relabeling going on, a few make them, then many etch their name on them.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I have both Spike's & Anderson lowers - all have the integrated trigger guard and to be honest my Andersons actually have cleaner roll marks and the finish was better even though they cost half of the Spike's. Some of the other lower brands: Mega, Aero have some features like an adjustment "screw" that tightens the upper & lower fit, ambi controls, using a screw instead of a standard roll pin for the bolt catch.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used Aero Precision on my last two 223/5.56 builds and have been more than pleased.

I also have a matched factory Gray Spikes stripped upper/lower waiting for a build. It looks good also.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Regardless of the brand, check magazine fit before building.

I had an Aero lower that was tight as hell with PMAGs and straight 20rd aluminum mags. To the point you couldn't use them.

AP made it right, but it would have saved some time and frustration if I had checked earlier.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Spikes and had a couple Anderson lowers. The Anderson lowers were both out of spec in a few areas-bolt catch area was too small,grip screw threads weren't threaded all the way up,( the other was barely threaded) and the bolt catch pin hole was drilled uneven/canted. I am handy enough to fix the issues with the Anderson lowers but right now I would pay a little more for a quality lower in order to bypass any issues. Spikes,RRA, Sig (if you can find them), are the ones I would start a build on.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Aero Precision lower receiver and it's very nice. I have five Anderson Manufacturering lower receivers and all perfect. I have four Rock River Arms lower receivers and they too are in spec., I have an old forged Olympic Arms lower receiver and a cast Essential Arms lower.

The Olympic Arms has a slightly tight magazine well, that doesn't play well with some MagPul magazines, as in they just don't fall out, but a small shake and the magazines clear fine.

I have never had a problem with my Anderson Manufacturering lower receivers, and I have a couple of friends that have a couple of them and likewise, but I know that there are reported problems, so there's that.

My Aero Precision lower receiver was probably the best bang for the buck, I picked it up for $65.00. it is very well made and finished. So I'm happy with that.

That said, they are all pretty much the same if they are in spec., and better known lowers will most likely be in spec., though I have seen even top end one get out the door with problems.

All my Anderson Manufacturering lower receivers we're bought locally and I looked them over well before I purchased them. I was so confident in one of my Anderson Manufacturering lower receivers that I SBR'ed it.

As for AR 10 lowers, well. I can't say, I have never delved into that platform. I would like to have an AR 10 one day, but I have never really been serious about it, so I have never looked into what's out there.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Do not discount PSA.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've had no problem with Spikes either. The 308 came as a set and they are extremely tight.

The 308's receivers aren't standardized yet like the AR15, so whatever company you go with for that lower, be sure and get their upper receiver too. At one time I had 4 different brands and none would interchange.

My SOT prefers YHM and Novesky but for a budget build likes Anderson ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
For simple forged lowers, Aero Precision, then Anderson if you cannot afford Aero.

I prefer the fit and finish on Aeros, and I like how they include the tensioning screw for the back receiver lug.

Also, it would seem that Aero Precision makes the least expensive full-ambi lower, if full-Ambi controls are a consideration.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
All of my New Frontier Armory lowers are good. I had one, years ago, that had a sloppy magazine well. They have since changed how they have them finish machined. They swapped out the sloppy one, no questions asked.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
My Mega forged lower is my favorite but I don't know if you can still get them anymore.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uncertain of your definition of "high quality" and your budget.

IMO a matched upper and lower helps to make an AR-15 more accurate, but this isn't absolutely necessary. I have good uppers and lowers of different brands -- swapping them among each other doesn't affect accuracy or cycling. This probably means that the manufacturing tolerances are very tight among the units.

As stated in an earlier post here, AR-10 uppers and lowers really should be of the same brand. You may be able to mix upper/lower brands and have an accurate and functioning AR-10, or maybe not.

My AR-15 lowers are Wilson Combat, SI Defense, and Rock River. My AR-10 lower is Black Rain. And no, these lowers are not cheap. I recommend determining your budget before buying lowers -- not only for the lowers themselves, but the entire rifles.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
As others have said, aero and anderson are both good choices. I have had great results with palmetto state armory as well.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motoboy:
I have used Aero Precision on my last two 223/5.56 builds and have been more than pleased.

same. $60 for an Aero.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
My first couple lowers were Spikes, last few I have bought were Aero both have been great. I wish I had bought more Aeros when I found a good deal this last time.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My favorite lowers are my Sun Devils, but in these days of lowers on sale for $45, nobody wants to pay $190 for a lower. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
11 forged Lowers & 1 Billet from different companies and zero issues.
There was some reall garbage put out by a few companies during the panic but I've been lucky to not have experienced any of that.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Uncertain of your definition of "high quality" and your budget.

Pistols in the household include S&W 41's, 52, Sig 228, 229, 210, Browning HP, H&K P7's. So I'm not looking to skimp.

The budget can afford quality ... just NOT crying over junk.

Somehow I'm assuming Geissele has some decent triggers --- don't know if this is a bad assumption.

Posts: 2540 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Do not discount PSA.
+1

Myself and a few friends, have had success with PSA products.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post