SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Only one rifle…….what optic?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Only one rifle…….what optic? Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Grand Thumb's discussion on the topic.

https://youtu.be/LHgmsq6dSlE

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
If combos count, I'd do a red dot with a flip up. For that budget probably an aimpoint, and I don't know what flip up, I haven't noticed a difference in the 3xs I've used. Vortex maybe?

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:

https://youtu.be/LHgmsq6dSlE

Big fan of Garand Thumbs content! I appreciate the suggestions so far!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
T-Rex has a much more interesting video

https://youtu.be/O8PtvTkxcUw

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:

From the comments:

Philip Farley
2 years ago
If you're being over run by the enemy you can simply turn your magnifier backwards. It will make them further away putting you out of range and allowing more time to prepare.

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
quote:
Originally posted by usncorpsman:
Give the Primary Arms Micro Prism 3x a try. It is 95% of the ACOG at about 1/3 the price. ”.

I just got one and I'm loving it so far. I hot the 5.56 version, and after messing around with it, I may be getting one for my .300aac
blackout.
ARman

Another vote for the PA 3x microprism! Rob Ski swears by them; in fact, he has an AK sight/mount combo for sale in the AKOU store!
Hopefully, others are still testing them and will post reviews soon.

Pete Sheppard
Powder smoke: The smell of FREEDOM!

Posts: 8 | Location: Birmingham AL | Registered: August 13, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Video of Rob's review of the PA 3x microprism https://youtu.be/haBCNYqUOgE

Pete Sheppard
Powder smoke: The smell of FREEDOM!

Posts: 8 | Location: Birmingham AL | Registered: August 13, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took my 3x prism off and replaced it with a Aimpoint Comp M4S and I'm happy.
Its not that the 3x prism was bad but the eye relief was a killer. If you didn't get the correct cheek weld when bringing the rifle up, you had to move around to get a clear field of view. I know it's a matter of training but the Aimpoint is just point and shoot.
YMMV

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
What brand and model of 3x prismatic were you using, joatmonv?

Some prismatics have fairly generous eyeboxes (3-4+ inches), while others are quite restrictive (less than 1.5 inches). What doesn't seem like much of a difference on paper can make a big difference in actual usability. I've also found that some magnified optics with a certain advertised eye relief are actually usable at several inches further out than listed, but not all.

However, unmagnified reflex sights like red dots will always work better when it comes to less than perfect eye alignment, thanks to their unlimited eye relief. But that comes at the cost of zero magnification.

Optics are all about pros and cons. For some setups and some users, the pros of a 3x prismatic outweigh the cons, but not for all.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of doublecorona
posted Hide Post
Europtics has the Vortex Razor Gen II at $1,000. https://www.eurooptic.com/vort...6x24-riflescope.aspx

And the EOTech Vudu 1-6 demo for under $1,000. https://www.eurooptic.com/EOTe...ope-VDU1-6FFSR1.aspx

Deplorable NRA Life Member

Posts: 1050 | Location: Where my mind is not | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
What brand and model of 3x prismatic were you using, joatmonv?

Vortex Spitfire HD Gen2. It's not a bad prism at all and has its merits for sure. Off a bench, I was hitting steel with it at a bit over 300 yards.
Faster target acquisition, not so good.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Check out the reticles. Red donut at 1X, MILrad at 6X.
Also, its heavy.

You can bet it will sink to lake bottom 'scope down when your canoe flips over.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-h...30mm-riflescope.html

SWFA SS HD 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope Details
Matte Black Finish
First Focal Plane Illuminated Donut (Circle/Mil-Scale)
30mm Tube
.10 Mrad, 10 Mils per Rev.
HD Model
Undercover Turrets

The SWFA Sample List has one for $779
I’ve have a couple of their SS scopes for 10+ years. The glass is okay, adjustments are positive & repeatable. Their a decent budget option.
The Sample List is their retired demo’s and all carry factory warranty.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete Sheppard:
Video of Rob's review of the PA 3x microprism https://youtu.be/haBCNYqUOgE

They also have the same microprism in a 1X which is a great reflex sight for those of us with astigmatism or corrective lenses that tend to "smear" a red dot.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:
I appreciate the suggestions so far!

Have you purchased anything yet?

Posts: 7845 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Thanks for checking back!

I have not….. still looking and comparing.I currently have a Razor 1x6 on a Scar 17. I like the scope, other than it’s heavy. I’d also like to bump up to 8x or 10x. My “one rifle” is a 16” MCX with the full length rail, so it’s already a little heavy to start with. In the $1000 price range, I’ve been looking at the offerings from Trijcon and Eotech. Getting a new one is a little over budget, but not much. Picking up a used one is definitely possible. No such luck on a Nightforce. So, I’m still looking and comparing, and saving money, lol…

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly, a dot or 1x prism with a dot will do most things but if you wanted an all-purpose rifle then I would go with a 1-6/8. If you plan on getting older then having magnification on tap helps.

Posts: 3040 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Honestly, a dot or 1x prism with a dot will do most things but if you wanted an all-purpose rifle then I would go with a 1-6/8. If you plan on getting older then having magnification on tap helps.

I have a couple rifles with Aimpoints, and I really enjoy them. I’m already old, and hoping that I get older, lol, which I’d a factor in wanting the magnification. I think it’s a must for “positive identification “, and it’s a huge bonus for target or pest control at distance.

Arc.
___

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The Atibal 1-10x30 looks like a decent scope for the money.
10" long and 21 oz isn't to bad.
https://atibal-optics.com/prod...atibal-x-1-10x35-ffp

Posts: 1469 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I'd have to buy used to keep it under $1k.

Vortex Razor with the JM1 BDC reticle in a Larue SPR-E mount.

I bought a used Razor for $850 a while back and the Larue mount was $225.

Great glass. Durable. Great tracking. Excellent illumination.

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post