SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need help removing front sight on Ruger 10/22 Takedown
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help removing front sight on Ruger 10/22 Takedown Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
I'm going to an Appleseed event in April. I have a 10/22 takedown, ordered and received the Tech-Sight peep rear and M-16 type front blade sight for the rifle.
The problem (as anyone who has done this apparently knows) is that it's a bitch to remove the original front sight from the dovetail.
Brass and steel punches with a pretty heavy hammer, with the end of the barrel held in a vise with plastic jaws, yielded no movement in the dovetail (yes, trying to move from left to right seen from the breech end).

Following advice at this link DIY Prepper , I used a Dremel with a cut-off wheel, cut a relief groove in the front blade portion, down to within <1/16 inch of the bottom of the dovetail.

Again attempted to drift the sight out with a punch, and there is no movement at all.

I've sent an e-mail to the maker of the Tech-Sight who has been very helpful so far.

I have an MGW universal sight pusher, but they don't make a shoe for the 10/22.

Any advice based on actual experience would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I got a nice response back from Eric, owner of Tech Sights. He says I'm doing the right thing, keep cutting away the blade, maybe using a hack saw blade to avoid damaging the barrel dovetail mount.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I used a hacksaw and sawed a notch almost all the way down to the bottom of the original sight. It relieved enough of the tension and allowed me to tap it out with a delrin punch.

I started with a Williams firesight and it was OK. Upgraded to the Tech Sights, they are excellent.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc, you have any luck?

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Hi tigereye, thanks for asking.
Yes, I sawed through the blade, then clamped a small vise-grip to it and gave the pliers a whack.
New front sight post now in place.

You will see in another post I'm considering using an ACOG instead as I have an old one.

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Good deal! Good luck with the ACOG. Smile