SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig M400 Tread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig M400 Tread Login/Join 
posted
Went and ordered a Sig M400 Tread Snakebite from Midway. So far I like it. Added backup iron sights and a front grip. Will add a red dot soon. Who else has one and how do you like it?

I have been where you fear to be
I have seen what you fear to see
I have done what you fear to do
All these things I have done for you.

Posts: 16 | Location: Fairhope, Alabama | Registered: December 28, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Don't own one, but I do have an M400 LE version for work, and I tore apart a Tread and put it back together a whole bunch of times in an armorer's class.

It's an AR. Sig uses decent parts, and they are well put together, but at the end of the day it's just another AR.

I'm not a fan of the oversized and ambi controls. They're unnecessary, have a tendency to get bumped on things when the rifle is slung, and the ambi safety control hits my finger when it's indexed along the side of the receiver. I'm used to standard Mil-Spec AR controls, and can operate them by feel. The extra mag release button on the left side and oversized slide catch lever make extra things for my finger to find that I'm not expecting, and it overcomplicates things and slows me down.

I do like the furniture on our work rifles. The stock and grip are ergonomic and comfortable, as is the oversized trigger guard. The m-lock handguard is sturdy and lightweight...much better than the blocky thing they put on the original Tread.

I also like how Sig integrated QD sockets into their lower receiver. It's a nice touch and provides options that you wouldn't otherwise have.

The trigger on mine, for a Mil-Spec single-stage trigger, is spectacular. There was some variance in the batch that we got, and I had the benefit of being able to try them all and take my pick, but none of them were bad, and several were very good.

We haven't used them very hard yet, so I can't speak to long-term durability, but so far so good. Worst case, it's an AR, so if something breaks, it should be easy to source parts for and fix it.

Accuracy is quite good...it's a patrol rifle, not a bench rifle, but so long as you do your part it'll put them where you point it.

One final nitpick...I don't care for the parkerization they used on the BCG. It's rough and difficult to clean, and it has almost a "sticky" texture to it that clings to every bit of lint it can pull off of your patches or cotton swabs. It's not had a negative affect in function at all, but as somebody who likes a clean gun, I much prefer a smooth, slick finish.

Posts: 8540 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My one and only AR is a Sig M400 from 4-5 years ago. I replaced the stock trigger (meh) with Geissele ACT = much better. Yes, the parkerization looks great but IS almost sticky and hard to clean. I've got a 3.5x ACOG on it and am pleased with it.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an original Tread rifle and found that the handguard could shift around on the barrel nut.

The special size rail to add a front sight was never in stock at the Sig Store so I never got to see how much the zero would shift, but it would be pretty bad based on the handguard shifting. The fit was very loose and the two small clamp screws had to pinch the gap closed by a lot to get it to tighten up.

I like the lower because I am left handed and it has good ambi features. The rest of it was OK but not appreciably better than other options at a similar price.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post