SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Shotgun show and tell
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun show and tell Login/Join 
posted
I'd be interested in what you are using for slugs and the shot guns you use.

.12, .20 or .410 gauge.

Thanks in advance

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54598 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot slugs, they require more precision for Skeet than I am capable of. However do enjoy shooting Skeet so I thought I'd post pics of my Skeet guns.

First is my 20 gauge, on the left and the 12 gauge on the right.

Then there is the 410/28 gauge Combo gun.

Yeah, I do like my Beretta's but my 1992 Browning Citori is still my favorite for 12 gauge events. I'll also note that the 28 gauge has become a real favorite, it hits right where I'm looking and the weight and balance allows me to shoot 8 rounds of Skeet without feeling at all tired at the end. IMO anyone who enjoys shooting a shotgun should treat themselves to a 28 gauge, because they are just so darned enjoyable to shoot and surprisingly effective.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I don't have the fancy grades many members here have.

My 1957 Belgian Browning Superposed Grade 1 (Field) (28" barrels modified over improved chokes can not be used with steel shot. I have #4 and #7½ lead shot loads for it.
My Mossberg 500 Talo Watchdog-2 has an 18½" cylinder choke barrel which I feed with primarily #1 buck defense loads although I also have some #00 and a small handful of slugs on hand.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16181 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang those O/Us are making me want to to get the BT100 or 28ga Lighting out for a early start!

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I don't have the fancy grades many members here have.

My 1957 Belgian Browning Superposed Grade 1 (Field) (28" barrels modified over improved chokes can not be used with steel shot. I have #4 and #7½ lead shot loads for it.
My Mossberg 500 Talo Watchdog-2 has an 18½" cylinder choke barrel which I feed with primarily #1 buck defense loads although I also have some #00 and a small handful of slugs on hand.

Smile
Picked up a very nice 1958 Superposed in the same barrel length and chokes a while back. I love the craftsmanship. Big fan of Browning shotguns. Smile

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2750 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ooh but if you have a picture I'd love to see it. A superposed is on my short list.

As far as slugs, buckshot, defense, this would be the shotgun I reach for. It was actually my first gun, a Christmas gift when I was 13. It has a 21" barrel and I replaced OEM with TruGlo rifle sights. I have a rifled choke tube for shooting sabot slugs but I don't know if I've ever really used it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’m using the Lyman 525 slug for 12 ga in a mossberg maverick with a cylinder bore riot barrel. Using 22 grains of Unique and a roll crimp I can put them on a 8” circle at 25 yds all day long. This load also prints well in my single shot NEF shotgun.

I made some brass shells for my 410 and just got a mold for slugs but haven’t made any yet….I’ll probably use 10 grains of unique and work up from there.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Beretta 1301TLE. After a shoulder injury from a off road motorcycle crash, I can't pump my other manual shotguns without discomfort. Decided it's time to get an autoloader! Was between this and a Benelli M4. Held both and the lighter weight and cheaper cost won me over. Stock is a 12" Hogue Overmold (which is 1" shorter than OEM, and 5/8 shorter than Magpul on shortest). I use this stock on all my shotguns because I'm short with short arms. This model does not have the screw in choke.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

Ooh but if you have a picture I'd love to see it. A superposed is on my short list.

Here ya go. Big Grin
The gold plating on the trigger is heavily worn.
And yes, the LOP and handling is perfect for me.

quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:
Smile
Picked up a very nice 1958 Superposed in the same barrel length and chokes a while back. I love the craftsmanship. Big fan of Browning shotguns. Smile

I did some minor refinishing on mine after picking it up in Nov 1997 from Jack First Inc. Believe I was told they got it with a lot of weapons from a gun shop that was closing. It was in the manager's office with a few other weapons and not out on the floor yet.

You have pictures of yours you could post?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16181 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
No superposed but I do have a number of Brownings. Here are my "favorites." L to R 1965 Light Twenty, 1967 Sweet Sixteen, 1966 Light Twelve. The 20 and 12 are real cherries. The 16 is my shooter.

And then this little doll. Remington 1100 Sporting .410.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I'm an unrepentant Perazzi guy. Most frequently, I'm shooting sporting clays with my MX8 12 gauge. If I feel like using a 20, I'll go with my MX20-8 SC3 Grade gun. I've also got an SC3 Grade two barrel Skeet set that I'll never get rid of. For those times when I feel like using a semi-auto, I like Beretta's A400 system. An "Extrema" is my "goto" turkey hunting gun and for defensive purposes (slugs), I have a 1301 Comp that works well.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
For slugs I generally use either Remington or Winchester 2 3/4" 1 oz 12ga rifled slugs. I don't think there's much difference between brands when it comes to slugs. I have a couple boxes of sabot slugs but haven't really played with them very much. The guns are either an 18" cylinder bore 870 or an old 21" rifle-sighted cylinder bore 1100.

For trap shooting I have a 26" RemChoke barrel that I can put on the 1100.

The one I keep by the bed at night is the 870 loaded with Federal 2 3/4" Flite-Control 00 buckshot.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of shotguns, as I inherited a bunch from my father-in-law, although I had a fairly good heap of my own.

For slugs, I use a pump - a FN pump in name, although it is really a Winchester 1300 which I used in 3-gun. I sometimes shoot a slug though a Beretta 390, too, but more just for funsies.

The gun I shoot most is a Beretta O/U that was made for sporting clays, and I shoot it at a lot of clays, but I also shoot it at doves and have even shot ducks with it. There are a couple of Brownings of various vintages, a Remington 1100, a Miroku (think Citori), and even an old Ithaca.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

Here ya go. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:
Smile

I did some minor refinishing on mine after picking it up in Nov 1997 from Jack First Inc. Believe I was told they got it with a lot of weapons from a gun shop that was closing. It was in the manager's office with a few other weapons and not out on the floor yet.

You have pictures of yours you could post?

Bought it from a gentleman from ND through an add I saw on line. We spoke about how his Dad had bought and carried it hunting with him. I asked many questions and he was quite helpful and even took it to a gunsmith to have it evaluated. Turned out to be better than I anticipated. It came with a Browning hard case. Beautiful gun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: got2hav1,

Posts: 2750 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here ya go. Big Grin

That is almost just like one I got from my father-in-law. Mine has the same semi-pistol grip, and is the same grade. I think mine is 26", though. Same modified and improved cylinder chokes - as many of those guns were. Mine would be about that same age - mid to late '50s.

It is a beautiful gun, but my Beretta fits me better. The LOP is longer, and I prefer the full pistol grip, and the longer barrels. Most importantly, the Beretta has more cast off than the Browning, and that helps it fit me much better. It is all about fit with shotguns.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
got2hav1,
Would have loved to get that case with mine. And your trigger looks pristine with its gold plating. Fantastic score you made!

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Bald1, thank you. Obviously buying it sight unseen I was thrilled with the condition. I had just bought a 1960 model, and when I got it I was disappointed. Sold that one and bought the '58. Browning shotguns fit me well. I shot a Browning Lightnin Sporting Clays model for years on the clay course. Close to 30K rounds without a hiccup. Don't shoot much anymore (shoulder injuries) though I did take the '58 out a couple of times.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
As an aside the barrels on mine looked great. Word was an elderly gent had owned it before the gunshop that had it picked it up in an estate deal. That was before Jack First bought all of that shop's inventory.
My local 'smith speculated it was carried a lot in the field but not shot much given the condition of the barrels, bluing, stock and trigger finishes before I touched things up. I originally considered having the trigger re-plated but ended up passing. Regardless I remain very pleased with my 1997 acquisition. And sadly I don't get to shoot it much these days either got2hav1.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
And for bendable. Sorry about the thread drift.

Checked and I have exactly ONE 12ga slug on hand: a 1 ounce Brenneke KO Slug.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Brownings typically have no or very little cast. My FIL, who is left eye dominant and shoots left handed, just bought a 28 ga Citori Lightning Grade II for just that reason. Sweet gun.

I feel like Citori 12's are hard kickers but their sub gauges are not. I have a 20 that I love.