SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope or red dot on 10/22?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope or red dot on 10/22? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I have a 10/22 and a Charger with the evil folding stock. Need an optic for them, should I go with a red dot or a cheap scope? It's just for plinking and range use. Don't want to spend too much money.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and the distance you like to shoot is? for what? at what?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
My experience with 22's is I found the red dot to be more useful at ranges out to 100 yards. My problem with magnified optics is paralax issues give me POA\POI shifts when I'm shooting under 100 yards.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with a red dot on my Charger. Accurate enough.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As mentioned it depends on what you want to do with it. Bargain tin can plinker? Red dot is fine. For more precision a magnifying scope is preferred

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I braced my Charger and put a Sig Romeo5 on it. Great little plinker! Now, I'm looking to make it quieter with a Mask.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Bargain tin can plinker? Red dot is fine. For more precision a magnifying scope is preferred

Nonmagnifying illuminated dot reticle sights are best for fast target engagements at close distances when we might be shooting from unconventional positions and/or when the rifle might not be held for shooting just as it should and we want to minimize (though not eliminate) potential parallax problems.* In other words, if the 10/22 might be used in dim or reduced light for fast close quarters situations such as room clearing then a typical red dot sight would be better.

On the other hand if the rifle will be used when it can be mounted to a proper firing position and fired more leisurely under normal lighting conditions, and there is a desire for more precision and accuracy with sometimes small targets, then a conventional magnifying scope with traditional reticle is better. I have scopes like that on my 10/22 and on two 77/22 rifles and am perfectly content with them. One drill is to set up 10 bowling pins at various distances and time myself shooting them in the “head” with the bolt action gun. I never feel handicapped by not having anything other than a traditional scopesight. Although I’m not a hunter any longer, it’s good practice with a sight and gun of the types that I would use if I were.

Sights with large, coarse reticles can become frustrating to use when we move beyond soda cans at 25 yards and want more challenge, even with a garden variety 10/22.

* The Aimpoint sights I’m familiar with do exhibit parallax shifts at close enough distances, although not as much as most magnifying sights. Also, parallax is an issue only if the shooter’s eye is not centered directly in line with the axis of the sight; hence, proper shooting positions help prevent any problems. In addition, some sights intended for rimfire rifle use have factory parallax settings adjusted closer than those intended for longer ranges.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
scope

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Red dot. I have a variable scope on a 22 rifle and didn't like it at all. It wasn't fun and wasn't as fast to acquire as the red dot I replaced it with.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
I have both. A Primary Arms red dot on a 10/22 Takedown and a Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32 on a 10/22 Sporter Deluxe.

I recommend a red dot for your intended useage.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a red dot on my 10/22 charger

Posts: 1177 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I have an old leupold 3x9x40 VXII on one and a Sig Romeo 5 on my take-down. One is for short distance hunting of small game and survival purposes, the other is for longer distances...mostly range plinking, but it's deadly for rabbits out to 100 yards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 383stroker
posted Hide Post
Like others have said, It'll depend on what your primary use will be.

I have 5 1022's. 4 rifles and 1 charger. 3 of the rifles have scopes on them because they are primarily for precision shooting. the 1 with the red dot on it is for plinking and quick target acquisition, I had it out this last weekend to try out my new Binary trigger that I just installed in it. The steel plate at 40 yards was fairly easy to keep the red dot on it while firing in binary mode and BX 25 mags. I could have never kept a scopes crosshairs on the plate as easy as the reddot was to.

My Charger currently has a scope on it and was one of the first to come out with the one piece laminated stock, When I can find the current stock that lets a brace be attached I will be changing the stock out and removing the scope for a red dot sight.

Posts: 1041 | Location: East of the DFW Metromess | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot squirrels with mine all the time with the CCI Quiet 22 segmented HPs. My 10/22 has a Nikon Rimfire 3-9 on it and one of the BX triggers. The squirrels don’t have a chance.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I’d say it depends on your eyes and what you are looking to achieve ... itty bitty groupe at 100, you’ll need a scope but if you can see it and all that matters is that you hit it, a red dot should be fine.

My eyes suck, so if I want to hit it at 25 yards, a red dot is fine but if I want do more, like hit the middle at 25yarde, then I need a scope ... I did have red dot on my Charger, but recently decided I wanted more and I had a 1-4 Bushnell not doing anything so now the red dot is feeling lonely.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post