SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Concerning Headstamp Publishing's latest book....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concerning Headstamp Publishing's latest book.... Login/Join 
posted
They just announced the first edition of their book on British bullpup rifles - "Thornycroft to SA80".

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
This is one of the books you buy when you own 25 different Lee Enfields, have all three of Skennerton books on Lee Enfields and (nor or) when you missed the opportunity to get related copies of Dugleby, Raw, Ezell and Stevens. Smile It´s nerdy stuff on the highest level but with nice pictures. I´m waiting for my copy since Christmas.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
It´s nerdy stuff on the highest level

Hey... I resemble that remark! Wink

I got in on the Kickstarter from the beginning. My special edition copy arrived last week. It's now sitting happily in the bookcase with all my other small arms reference books, right next to its older French brother, awaiting its turn in the reading list.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Headstamp Publishing is on a roll... They just announced their third book, which is apparently already nearly complete and due out at the end of the year. This one covers the pistols used by the various Chinese factions in the early 20th Century. It's going to be more of a pictorial overview than an in-depth historical text like their first two offerings, due to the dearth of proper Chinese records.

Preorders available through Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/pr...tols-of-the-warlords

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
I like your library. It bears good information for in debth discussions. Mine looks similar in size but is more focussed to handguns.

I dont know if I´m going to get the thrid book of headstamp publications. The topic is highly interesting but I´m a bit concerned about the written content.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OTD,

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got in on the kickstart for the latest one. I figured it’s likely going to be the only reference on the subject, and it is an interesting topic…

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
It´s nerdy stuff on the highest level

Hey... I resemble that remark! Wink

I got in on the Kickstarter from the beginning. My special edition copy arrived last week. It's now sitting happily in the bookcase with all my other small arms reference books, right next to its older French brother, awaiting its turn in the reading list.

I've got most of those,

and Clawson's, Still's and Chinn's works as well,

learned long ago, before you invest or buy a type of firearm, buy the book,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
My copy arrived yesterday and I´m pleasantly surpirsed about the volume of information of its content and the quality of the pictures.

The chapters of early British bullpubs is new. The chapters on the EM series rifles is an extensively updated version of Duglebys book on the same topic. But to be fair, Dugleby did not have the same access to primary sources like Ferguson had as the keeper of the ROF collection.

The thrid part which covers the development from the 4.85mm project to the SA80 and the evolution to the much improved A3 pattern compares to Raws "The last Enfield", except Raw was publihed before the introduction of the L85A3.

It´s a well made book which is recommended to students of post war small arms developed like the NATO trials of the late 40s/early 50s or in the developement of British and Commonwealth infantry rifles.

A little bit of a downisde is the general aprearance of the book. It has this pseudo classy look with lots of unnescessary bling of a "Readers digest special edition".

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The chapters of early British bullpubs is new. The chapters on the EM series rifles is an extensively updated version of Duglebys book on the same topic. But to be fair, Dugleby did not have the same access to primary sources like Ferguson had as the keeper of the ROF collection.

The thrid part which covers the development from the 4.85mm project to the SA80 and the evolution to the much improved A3 pattern compares to Raws "The last Enfield", except Raw was publihed before the introduction of the L85A3.

Cool. I haven't read Dugelby, but I have read Raw/Stephens. I look forward to comparing the two.

quote:
A little bit of a downisde is the general aprearance of the book. It has this pseudo classy look with lots of unnescessary bling of a "Readers digest special edition".

I agree with that. Same with their first book on French rifles.

It's a symptom of the Kickstarter funding process. Seems like every Kickstarter project (not just these books) ends up padding their product with kitschy "stretch goal rewards" that are usually little more than cosmetic fluff, to continue to generate buzz/excitement and entice additional contributions from more backers during the funding period. Makes the backers feel like they're getting more bang for their buck, without requiring much additional effort from the creators. It's kind of a modern twist on the "But wait, there's more! Act now and..." advertising approach.

These are no exception. You end up with a solid book, just with a bunch of unnecessary fluff tacked on as "rewards" for hitting certain milestones (Ex Libris stickers, drink recipes, bookmarks, gold fringe, etc.)

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It would be nice if they'd offer a price break on the Thorneycroft book to buyers of the Chinese pistol book instead, but hey.

Gun Jesus put up a video on YouTool recently where he had a conversation with Maxim Popenker. Popenker's supposed to be putting together a new book on Russian pistols, which intrigues the snot out of me because he's promised it will cover the "superMakarov" through "super9mm" development period. Does anyone know if it's supposed to come through the same source or if it's being published and offered through another source?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Atlant in St.Petersburg is Popenkers publisher in Russia. You might check out their site for information about his books.
The prices show on their site are valid for the domestic market in Russia only. Export prices are much higher. Service is good though.