SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Blowback operation and suppression?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blowback operation and suppression? Login/Join 
posted
Have a Springfield Victor 9mm carbine. Blow back operated bolt.
Dirty but have had zero issues with it.

Anything to be aware of if I put a suppressor on it, relating to reliability?

Posts: 1695 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, just gets dirtier and you’ll feel a little more recoil. I’ve got a CZ Scorpion and 9mm Tavor SAR, both blowback operated, and reliability suppressed has been fine with both.

Posts: 3421 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
It's going to get dirtier for sure - and you will sure see every direction possible for smoke to come out of it when you fire it.... LOL

Posts: 2059 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
It’ll likely increase the recoil too. The increased backpressure on MY Scorpion felt more jarring when I had an obsidian 45 mounted.

Posts: 2066 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Shouldn’t be any less reliable. Blowback actions are generally among the more reliable. I did notice more felt recoil with my Scorpion after suppressing it. I installed a stronger recoil spring but have yet to shoot it since making that change. As mentioned, it will get dirtier, and very quickly. I like to smear a very thin layer of grease all over the internals, makes for an easier cleanup.

Posts: 17704 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A suppressor reduces recoil with my Wilson Combat PCC -- a 9mm blowback. The can does increase carbon fouling, but it has no effect on cycling reliability.

Posts: 8033 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post