SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New Nightforce offerings - official release today at NRA
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Nightforce offerings - official release today at NRA Login/Join 
Yama Arashi
Picture of Uriah
posted
These won't be replacing any of my ATACR scopes, but plenty of buzz about these new mag ranges. I'm assuming prices are MAP/MSRP.

Initial reticle offerings will be MOAR and MIL-C

4-32 x 50 F1 - 13.5"- 90 minutes (26.2 MILs) of internal travel - $2150
2.5-20 x 50 F1 - 12" - 110 minutes (32 MILs) of internal travel - $1950

Both scopes:
- 28oz. weight
- ED glass - but from what I'm told it's not *quite* ATACR level
- 10m to infinity parallax
- Digillum illumination - red & green
- Zerostop and Capped windage
- Mag ring moves independently (same with the NX8 1-8x F1 - entire ocular moves on the ATACR 1-8x F1)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Uriah,

Coffee cup ambush

Posts: 4340 | Location: Somewhere North of Here | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Very impressive ranges. The 50mm objective is bigger than I typically want, but I suppose it’s needed at those high mags to gather enough light?

I can’t wait to see the 2.5-20 with my own eyes. That is a reaaaaaly handy optic for a do it all gun. I’m thinking a 12” AR might be kind of nice jack of all trades type gun. Won’t need a spotting scope for most stuff either.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Unless they're MRAD and FFP I have no interest in them. NF is my "go to" choice in optics. But all of my ATACR's are FFP and MRAD.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
Unless they're MRAD and FFP I have no interest in them. NF is my "go to" choice in optics. But all of my ATACR's are FFP and MRAD.
Pretty clearly they are, being marked F1 and Mil-C.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
Pretty clearly they are, being marked F1 and Mil-C.

Not clear at all when the description is "minutes of internal travel."

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yama Arashi
Picture of Uriah
posted Hide Post
Pedantic. The internal travel amount was just quoting verbatim from a verbal description.

The 90 MOA is 26.2 MILs - the 110 MOA is 32 MILs

The initial offerings are all MRAD/First Focal Plane.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Uriah,

Coffee cup ambush

Posts: 4340 | Location: Somewhere North of Here | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
If they offer the 4-32 in a Tremor3 or MIL-XT I will own one. My personal experience is NF is conservative on the internal travel as my 7-35's all have more internal travel than advertised. I wonder if the glass quality and resolution at 32x will be as good as the 7-35? I guess we'll know once they start shipping.

posted Hide Post
I find that most FFP scopes have a reticle that is truly useful over roughly a 3x -- or possibly 4x -- zoom range for elevation and windage holds. My 5x zoom FFP scopes seem more like simple crosshairs at their lowest magnification levels.

Nightforce designed the NX8 and ATACR 1-8x reticles pretty well. They are sort-of two reticles in one, with the boldest lines only coming into play at the lowest magnification settings. It will be interesting to see how NF designs reticles to be used at 20 or 32 power.

Last summer four NF reps competed in the Raton 2-rifle match, with one team using an ATACR 1-8x on the AR-15 and an ATACR 7-35x on the bolt action. A handful of us competitors picked their brains after the match, and had a little time to shoot their rifles.

I asked what was next after the ATACR 1-8x and 7-35x models. As always, the NF reps were pretty coy with their answers. When they asked what I wanted, I said a scope that worked for the AR targets in this 2-gun match. Meaning low magnification & close focusing for the close paper targets (5-10 yards distance, with 2-3" scoring zones), and high magnfication with good windage subtentions for the distant steel targets (350-450 yards distance, 8-10" diameters). Although they felt the ATACR 1-8x worked for this, it was obvious they had something else down the road.

The reps stated that NF now had 4x, 5x, and 8x zoom erector assemblies for both FFP and SFP scopes. So....more things were in the works....

I don't know what the lead time from concept scope to market distribution, but I bet that at the time the NF reps already knew of the higher powered NX8 models.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 2.3 -18 power Swarovski Z8i and added the optional turrets. Mounted it on my Scar 17.
With the illuminated center set at 2.3 power it works well at close range, at 18 power it helps with targets at the 600 yard range (max for my range)
The wide magnification range and the relatively low weight make it a nice combo.

This should be a winner for Nightforce.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I just bought a 2.3 -18 power Swarovski Z8i

That's a great scope with really clear glass.

A big difference between your Z8i and the NF NX8 is the reticle focal plane. Yours is SFP, the NF is FFP. As a result, the NF's reticle design must be significantly different than the ones offered in your Swaro in order to be useful at all magnification levels.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yama Arashi
Picture of Uriah
posted Hide Post
Definitely a bit of a chuckle at the coy comment fritz - they're most certainly tight lipped about anything in the pipeline. The ATACR 1-8 was being used on the ground for a solid 2+ years before the final version was officially released.

I've only had the chance to see these new offerings with the MOAR reticle, and while I assume they have made some slight size modifications with the reticles in relation to the extended mag range, the low end didn't seem that much different to my eye than current 4-16x/5-25x in regard to usability - certainly won't be using the holds when dialed all the way down. As you stated, still simple crosshairs mostly.

Don't have any comparison photos of the reticles from the new offerings, but attaching a few mediocre illuminated shots of the 4-16x MIL-R here for reference, for those that may not have any familiarity. (Along with the 1-8 ATACR reticle and a NF photo)

Coffee cup ambush

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Very impressive ranges. The 50mm objective is bigger than I typically want, but I suppose it’s needed at those high mags to gather enough light?

I have a March 3-24x42 scope. It works fine at 24x, although the eye box is not forgiving at that magnification.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post