SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    MPX Optic Question--- Optic Purchased-----
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MPX Optic Question--- Optic Purchased----- Login/Join 
Banned
posted
Is anyone using an RMR (Trijicon) Optic on their MPX.?? With a QD mount, it meets the upper limit of my budget.
It would be part of a home defense system. Also, I am somewhat enthralled with the Sig Romeo line of optics, even though there are batteries involved.

In the classifieds, there is an Aimpoint H1 with a LaRue QD mount that is really priced right.

Thanks in advance for your help. Oh, everything is based on selling some stuff so there is not a lot of rush.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrmn50,

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not used the rmr, i do have an mro on my mpx, and romeo 5 on my kriss vector. The price of the romeo 5 makes it a no brainer vs the mro

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
In a nutshell, you are saying that the Romeo5 is pretty much the same as the MRO??
it sounds reasonable, I am just making certain.

BTW, thanks.

posted Hide Post
no, I am saying that for the 200ish of the romeo, you will not see a big enough benifit for the 500ish for the mro.

The value of the romeo 5 is hard to beat.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thanks,

posted Hide Post
I tried an RMR in the same ADM mount that dwd1985 likes and I really didn't like it. This was on a full size MPX. I find I really like a bigger eyebox and converted it to run an MRO which has been completely satisfactory. mrmn50 if you are considering an RMR do not get a non battery one. Trust me that you will find it unsatisfactory for any serious use. Whenever anyone defines the use as defense in nature I always say get an aimpoint. The ACO will be less money than an RMR generally and way better at what you intend to do with it. Myself I would not consider Sig optics as viable in a true defensive gun.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
why is that, about the Sig optics?? Is it just a short time in the market??

posted Hide Post
Yes, no track record is probably the best description overall. And at the moment there isn't anyone using them seriously that might give you confidence they have a handle on the situation. And for me personally I've seen way too many of them break at matches.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
I use an RMR in an ADM QD Mount. I love it, it’s the perfect sized optic for a tiny, compact weapon like my MPX-K

I have my MPX SBR set up the same way. Ive been happy with it.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is recreational shooting, and or home defense i see no reason to drop like amounts on a top of the line optic. I have been well served my mine. If you compete that may be a different story. Maybe.

posted Hide Post
Well if I was using a gun for home defense I sure as heck (not my original choice of word) want the optic to run reliably. That's definitely a maybe and probably worse for any sig optic. If you drop $2K on an MPX spending a couple of hundred bucks above the unproven new choice should be a no brainer. I would look at the opposite way to your comment. I'm happy to try new stuff on my competition gun, the downside is nill. My score is bad so what. I want my home defense stuff to be as reliable as possible.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Well if I was using a gun for home defense I sure as heck (not my original choice of word) want the optic to run reliably. That's definitely a maybe and probably worse for any sig optic. If you drop $2K on an MPX spending a couple of hundred bucks above the unproven new choice should be a no brainer. I would look at the opposite way to your comment. I'm happy to try new stuff on my competition gun, the downside is nill. My score is bad so what. I want my home defense stuff to be as reliable as possible.

Well, having a brain, I can see that you are right and I need to rethink my position. I appreciate your input.

posted Hide Post
I have the original optic on my 556r, and the Romeo 5. Neither has given me any issue. Now I don't toss the rifles in a barrel when done shooting. I treat my firearms with respect. I have a lot of rounds down the 556R, with only battery changes. The new Romeo is holding up as well. As a matter of fact, I have yet to read of any Romeo 5 failures.

I get where you are coming from HRCJon, the question was what optics would work. RMR or others. While I also run a MRO on my MPX, Vs my Romeo I do not see the value in the price difference. The romeo is easier to use, comes with two bases, and a cover for half if not less than half as much.

If you toss your guns around, i can see spending the $ money on an mro, t1/h1 . If not given my history with sig optics, yes even the old models from the 556 era. I have had excelent service and never had one fail. I can not say the same for simillary priced vortex.

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I put an aimpoint micro on mine.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1524 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I seem, for now, to have it narrowed down to an MRO with a Scalaraworks 1/3 cowitness base. it is right at the top of my budget.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
I seem, for now, to have it narrowed down to an MRO with a Scalaraworks 1/3 cowitness base. it is right at the top of my budget.

Don't forget to buy covers for the mro, id does not come with any sort.

Banned
posted Hide Post
Thanks, DS, for the info. I will surely get a Flashkill. Hopefully, someone makes an overcoat for it.

Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I've got the SIG optic on mine, no issues so far. But then I built it as an experimental piece and have others to fill the HD role until I consider it proven.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
I've got the SIG optic on mine, no issues so far. But then I built it as an experimental piece and have others to fill the HD role until I consider it proven.

You built your own MPX?? or is that an M4 or whatever.?? I am getting that you are testing the Sig Optic out before you begin to use it for HD.
How will you know it is ready to replace what you are using now for HD.??

Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:

You built your own MPX?? or is that an M4 or whatever.?? I am getting that you are testing the Sig Optic out before you begin to use it for HD.
How will you know it is ready to replace what you are using now for HD.??

No, not a parts build, strictly speaking. SIG doesn't offer an 8" MPX with the collapsible brace. I slapped a brace and the Romeo optic on an 8" pistol and have been playing with it. Fun factor: 11 of 10. Optic is good to go, reliability of the 8" pistol, not so much.

Optic has been continuously on since I purchased it in November. When I'm convinced the pistol is reliable (1k+ rounds with no failures) I'll replace the battery in the optic and continue to train and monitor.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post