SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    So I channeled my inner Stargate SG1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I channeled my inner Stargate SG1 Login/Join 
posted
So I was dead set on buying a new Stealth Arms Platypus but decided to shoot my CZ Shadow 2 SA with a Holosun 407 just to make sure I wanted the Platypus. I came to the conclusion the CZ does everything the Platypus does. That left me with cash to burn and along came my buddy to help me spend it.

I was able to get this gun along with 250rds of ammo at a price I could not pass up. I had one of these years ago and hated it with the ring sight. I should have kept it as they bring crazy money now. Anyway, this one shoots like a dream and is quite accurate at 50yds with the red dot mounted on a HBI mount. The mount puts the red dot at the perfect height for a great cheek weld.

My plan is to use this as a compact truck gun. It’s light, compact and 50rds of FN VMax on tap is nothing to sneeze at. It’s no AR15, but I doubt anyone here would stand still and let me shoot them with it.

My dog could not resist getting into the shot.

5rds 50yds FN 40gr VMax

Posts: 1139 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I wondered how an SBR would do on small game.

Posts: 10050 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nice. my sample of 1 seems to be pretty accurate. thanks to more 5.7 guns coming to market, ammo is not too terrible. I believe Hornady is even making a critical defense/FTX round for the caliber now. its good times again for the ps90 and other 5.7 guns.
SBR'd mine and have a rugged occulus on it. it suppresses pretty well for a supersonic round. the mags take time to load though.. Razz

Posts: 781 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I've always wanted one, but I must have an SBR'd version. Local shops want $2300 for one SBR'd there. While the non-NFA versions can be obtained for <$1500. Just doesn't sit right with me. FN needs to offer factory SBRs so it can split the difference. Very cool.

Posts: 2070 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one years ago and never got a chance to shoot it and wound up selling it due to an unexpected med. bill soon after getting it. A few months ago, I had the opportunity to buy another and jumped at the chance. They a lot of fun to shoot and very accurate. The recoil is minimal and oddly enough, the FN Five-Seven pistol has even less felt recoil. Ammo is not as crazily priced as it once was. I have found, 50 rounds now costs about the same as factory loaded .38 ammo. My biggest issue with it, is the barrel to sight height with the standard rail.

Posts: 7111 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I must have an SBR'd version

I surely don't get what you are complaining about.
Buy gun, buy tax stamp, shorten barrel. Done.
Don't want to fool with the FN barrel cut and someone cutting it, cmmg and done. I don't think FN can get it in the country as an SBR. I'm not sure what's in the $2300 price but not a chance FN would do that for less, but you surely can.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11201 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I bought one years ago and never got a chance to shoot it and wound up selling it due to an unexpected med. bill soon after getting it. A few months ago, I had the opportunity to buy another and jumped at the chance. They a lot of fun to shoot and very accurate. The recoil is minimal and oddly enough, the FN Five-Seven pistol has even less felt recoil. Ammo is not as crazily priced as it once was. I have found, 50 rounds now costs about the same as factory loaded .38 ammo. My biggest issue with it, is the barrel to sight height with the standard rail.

This solves the height over bore issue. I went with the Aimpoint micro foot print to use most of the micro red dots on the market. It puts the optic at the perfect cheek weld level.

With a 50yd zero, I’m about 3” low at 7-25 yds.

https://hbindustries.net/store...category/fn-herstal/

Posts: 1139 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I surely don't get what you are complaining about.

It's not difficult to understand.
1) I don't want to buy a project gun.

2) I'm not interested in buying, from my perspective, a ludicrously overpriced conversion.

If the price of the converted was $1.8k-1.9k, I wouldn't have mentioned. I'd be showing off pictures.

Once again, cool gun usncorpsman.

Posts: 2070 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Congrats, UNSCorpsman! When you're ready to, putting a Form 1 on it takes it from an interesting novelty gun to something that's ear-to-ear grins every time you pick it up. If you SBR it, you'll wonder why you didn't just do it right off the bat, seriously. Those original ring sights go for stupid prices. The original manufacturer still makes the second generation version, but under a different name. I forget the details, but they can be ordered still. Personally, I think you're right, and a decent red dot is better. I have the spiritual successor to the ring sight on mine with a PA 1x Microprism on the HBI mount. I need to get their QD and scout mount eventually and finish this thing off right. Suppressed, this is one of my very favorite guns.

When I bought this thing, American Eagle was the only other ammo manufacturer besides FN, which was, and is stupidly overpriced. I recommend against American Eagle. I had the only misfeeds I've ever had with mine two weekends ago. It jammed the projectile into the casemouth on one, and that was after the bullet disappeared completely on another. I have no idea where it went and thought I had a squib stuck in the barrel, but the bore wasn't obstructed, the primer wasn't ignited, and powder was dumped out all over the inside of the action. No earthly clue what happened, but I'm going to unload the rest of that magazine into the trash, it's not worth blowing up an SBR.

Fiocchi Range Dynamics 40gr is reliable, accurate, and has been holding at cheaper than M193 for most of the last year. Fiocchi 62gr subsonic is reliable, only marginally more expensive, and very, very quiet through my Griffin Explorr. I shot it at a shoot with some friends who brought suppressed 9mm SBR's and it was quieter head to head than a B&T APC9SD. It shocked all of us. Is it the most practical gun? No. But it's iconic - a modern classic, nothing looks like or feels like a P90 (including the FS2000, and I say that having had one. It's gone, but this gun is going nowhere). They're accurate, a lot of fun to shoot, and if one had a use case for wanting an insanely compact 50rd PDW, hey.... And yes, the trigger can even be improved with a little work.

quote:
Originally posted by patw:
My biggest issue with it, is the barrel to sight height with the standard rail.

Anymore, it's not too different than how a lot of guys, myself included, have their main AR's set up with 2.25" height optics or more. Really not a big deal, and a complaint that formed back in the absolute cowitness and "nose to charging handle" days. Like the OP said, the HBI optics mount pulls that top rail off and you've got an optic mounted nice and low.

Vgex - $1,228.54, added to cart. Tax stamp for $200, cut the barrel, add the CMMG P90 flash under for $80 and you’re done with an SG1 near-clone for under $1,500. Or, and easier, pick up the CMMG barrel for $210 and the CMMG 1/2x28 thread adapter for $60 and add whatever muzzle device you want, and you’re at $1,697 for a completed SBR.

If FN was going to offer these as a factory SBR, they would have done so by now. Far as I know, the only way to have a PS90 SBR is to roll your own or buy someone else’s, and I think the reason the used SBR’s on the market are so damn expensive is a lot of us bought them when they were at, or close to two grand and don’t totally want to lose our asses competing with how much they’ve dropped since then. It’s why I went ahead and put a stamp on mine: I paid $1,800 for mine as configured in UNScorpsman’s post and tried selling it on and off for years with close to twenty magazines and five hundred rounds of SS198LF in a package deal for right around $1,600 (which was still a major loss overall). I still think that's a stellar deal, considering what magazines cost these days, and I got offers for not much more total than what I linked above. Had one guy agree to meet me at $1,400, ghosted me an hour before the meet, then texted me a picture of a receipt for one he just bought for cheaper to rub it in for whatever reason. So I gave up and put a stamp on it. If my choice is lose nearly half what I paid for it overall, or accept the sunk cost and put a stamp on it and enjoy it, then I opt for the latter. Some guys, I can see needing money some time down the road after a Form 1 and trying to make it back in hopes that handling the completed gun in the form factor it was meant to be being enough to convince a buyer. A shop needing their cut on top of that would probably make a similar gamble, so, $2k+ makes sense to me.

Not wanting to buy a project gun, I can understand, but if you go the CMMG barrel route, this one is super painless. It’s easier than most home gunsmithing jobs I’ve done. You need a thin 15mm crow’s foot wrench, a vice, a drill, some small punches, a hammer, and a cleaning rod. That’s it. Fifteen, maybe twenty minute job. Super, super easy. You’re likely never going to have a shot at a PS90 SBR for cheaper, so complaining about the prices and justifying it by saying you don’t want a project gun when it’s as easy as it is doesn’t make sense to me, either.

Posts: 17717 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post