SIGforum
Rifles you used to think were goofy and now find yourself wanting
September 10, 2026, 03:33 PM
fritzRifles you used to think were goofy and now find yourself wanting
My Wilson Combat Glock-pattern AR9 suppresses well. No issues from the start, no tweaking required. It's been flawless -- no cycling issues with multiple types of ammo, trigger is what I expect from Wilson, Glock mags work, ergos work, rails work. Recoil is minimal, allowing for rapid follow up shots. Accuracy is outstanding out to 200 yards. I don't hear of such performance from any type of PCC. I expect only the same from JP's 9mm AR. If I didn't have a flawless PCC from Wilson, JP would be high on my list.
As for 10/22s -- I've shot them quite a few times. Decent rifles, really. However I don't care much for the standard Ruger models -- the ergos are lacking. Now the Kidd and Volquartsen upgraded models/components make me think about a 10/22, but I doubt I'll go down that path. I have an 18" JP AR-22 upper for precision shooting and a 9" Nordic Components AR-22 upper for plinking -- which keeps them in the AR family for ergos, trigger, rails, and optics.
September 10, 2026, 08:49 PM
IndianaBoyquote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
The appealing thing to me about the JP offering is the AR15 ergonomics. Just my personal preference. The MP5SD certainly has the cool factor and is for sure the original GOAT.
I shot a couple of MP5s many years ago. The owners were well-to-do and had boatloads of guns. I was excited to try them, and there definitely is a cool factor for their history. At the time of their introduction, they were definitely ahead of other manufacturers. But I thought that shooting them didn't match their reputations. Sure, they cycled smoothly. IMO accuracy, ergonomics, and trigger were all wanting.
Jump to the present day, and I am unimpressed by the practical function of an MP5 in the current market. AR 9mm platforms have taken the 9mm subgun / PCC to a much higher level. Ergonomics, accessory options, and accuracy of a quality AR9 is beyond the MP5's capabilities. Honestly, if someone gave me an MP5, I'd immediately sell it and invest the money in something I really wanted.
Same. I have a CMMG Banshee equipped with an FRT and I don't know if it is because I have an early one with perfect headspace or because of some other voodoo. But mine doesn't eat ejector springs. It just runs and runs. I was nonplussed with my MP5 experience. Just really heavy and awkward for what it is.
September 11, 2026, 12:10 AM
ruger357AR15. Who needs a black plastic rifle that shoots a .22 caliber bullet? I probably have 15 now and they are my go to rifle.
-----------------------------------------
Roll Tide!
Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
September 11, 2026, 02:45 PM
sigspecopsI always thought the Manlicher stocked rifles looked cool. I was kind of disappointed to find out that they may not be all that accurate, but I still want one.
No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
September 11, 2026, 04:20 PM
RogueJSKWhile the added stock contact means its theoretically less accurate than it could otherwise be, mine's still accurate enough for hunting purposes. ~2 MOA with quality hunting ammo.
With its 1-4x scope it's plenty capable out to a couple hundred yards, and I don't plan to (nor usually have the opportunity) to take shots on game further than that anyway. Most of my shots are well short of that.
Not every rifle has to be a sub-MOA tackdriver capable of shooting cloverleafs out to 1000 yards.
Keep in mind that the minimum accuracy standard for USGI military rifles in the mid 20th century was 5 MOA, with most factory fresh rifles being capable of ~3 MOA.
Even with a 2-3 MOA rifle, the limiting factor in practical accuracy is often the shooter's skill not the mechanical accuracy limitation of the gun.
September 11, 2026, 07:53 PM
ibandaquote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
AR15. Who needs a black plastic rifle that shoots a .22 caliber bullet? I probably have 15 now and they are my go to rifle.
Growing up as a deer hunter I used to think, "who wants to shoot a rifle with a little pissant 55 grain bullet?" Well, I got over that and started building ARs for fun and the collection keep growing.
"The left can't applaud me because their hands are in other people's pockets." - Javier Milei
September 13, 2026, 01:51 PM
fiasconvaRemington Nylon 66's. Had a buddy that got one when we were in high school. We teased him about his plastic rifle when squirrel hunting one day and he got pissed off, left and never went hunting with us again. I'd love to have one of those now.
"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra September 13, 2026, 08:09 PM
ridewvWhen I was young, in addition to not liking lever rifles I never cared for full stock or mannlicher rifles. Now 40 years later this might be my favorite .22.
No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.
September 21, 2026, 09:58 PM
CitadelSIG 510. When I first handled one thought it was the ugliest thing I ever saw. Now having grown up and knowing better, you can't touch one for under 6 Grand. Magazines are unobtanium.
October 03, 2026, 08:38 PM
Vaftocrquote:
Originally posted by 12131:
[QUOTE]Rifles you used to think were goofy and now find yourself wanting
I used to think the AR22s were silly. I bought one on a whim, that should be a boat anchor…Savage Arms Precision 64. Jamomatic. The few shots it did get off felt great though, so I did some research and along came my Tippmann. This thing is an absolute pleasure. It’s quiet and accurate. I put 300 rounds through it today. I’m not sure why I frowned on the AR22s in the past but I’m now a fan.