SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    QD Sockets and Sling Swivels question..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

QD Sockets and Sling Swivels question.. Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Been looking at slinging my Scorpion carbine. The sling will be a Vickers sling and I like the idea of the push button qd Vickers. The Scorpion already has a qd mount on the rear of the folding stock. I can buy a Parker Mountain qd mount for the front that mounts on the receiver next to the existing sling attachment. Or a M-Lok mount I can put a little more forward on the hand guard.

The Parker Mountain mount has a choice of 360 degree or locking. What is the preferred set up with a two point sling? 360 degree rotation or fixed mounts when using qd swivels? New to the slinging game so I may not be using some of the correct terminology.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
I prefer the locking versions on QD mounts so the sling doesn't get all twisted up.

Posts: 2679 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m499:
I prefer the locking versions on QD mounts so the sling doesn't get all twisted up.

Yep.
If the sling is stay on the rifle I use the locking ones.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Locking by far.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents!

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Definitely locking (most commonly referred to as "limited rotation").

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Limited, however I have given thought to going back to sling loops. They make less noise, cost less, and won’t fail.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Definitely locking (most commonly referred to as "limited rotation").

These are what I have on mine, scavenged of a Magpul for my Vickers, allows maybe 45* rotation +/- a bit.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer rotation limiting QD sockets, MAG540 QD sling swivel in front, MAG543 QD sling swivel rear, and padded Vickers sling.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I but an Airborne Arms Stinger Rail on my Scorpion. It has built in QD sockets. I think it looks the best of all Scorpion rails and it is very very solid. The hole at the front allows you to get your thumb around the top for a C-clamp grip.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although somewhat of a drift, I’ll take this opportunity to bitch at Magpul for not offering their QD mount sockets in a limited rotation version. I’ve searched to find something like that for a long time and found many similar complaints, but no sign that Magpul or any aftermarket manufacturer will take advantage of selling a product that’s in demand.

If you know of something that I’m not aware of that will replace the Magpul socket on their stocks, please let us know.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
The hole at the front allows you to get your thumb around the top for a C-clamp grip.

You can already do that with the stock handguard... That's what I do on my Scorpion. Thumb rides on the slanted upper section of the factory polymer handguard, in front of the front sight and charging handles but behind the light and muzzle.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
If you know of something that I’m not aware of that will replace the Magpul socket on their stocks, please let us know.

It's not specifically a replacement for the Magpul socket, but this can be added to any Magpul stock that has a sling slot and used instead of the Magpul socket:

https://www.impactweaponscompo...-sling-mount-n-slot/

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
this can be added to any Magpul stock that has a sling slot and used instead of the Magpul socket:

Ooh: That looks like worth trying. I like the Magpul stocks with the storage compartment and the sling slot isn't located just where I'd like, but I will definitely have to try this thing.

Thank you.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
this can be added to any Magpul stock that has a sling slot and used instead of the Magpul socket:

Ooh: That looks like worth trying. I like the Magpul stocks with the storage compartment and the sling slot isn't located just where I'd like, but I will definitely have to try this thing.

Thank you.

BCM's socket is eight position non rotational.

Link

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There are any number of sockets that attach to rails or slots, but none that I know of that are direct replacements for the existing sockets on Magpul stocks.

I installed a Grovtec socket in one stock by drilling and tapping, but it isn’t in the ideal location and was a bit of a chore, and I don’t really want to do that again.

6.4/93.6

— Plato