SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    seeking scout rifle scope
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

seeking scout rifle scope Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted
Generally these are in the style of the Burris EER 2-7x32 size for forward mount.

There's a handful of such from different manufacturers out there.

Prices range from 'under $200 to 'over $2700' from the google search I've done.

My singular experience with 'scout scope' was a Burris years ago. Wondering what comments/advise/tips/warnings/ members here have to help my search for the econo end of the scope market today.

I haven't found a used one yet, seems like there's plenty of NIB to choose from.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing abou the variable power scopes you'll discover the "hard way" is that the eye relief changes with the magnification. As a result you will have to spend some time finding the "sweetest" spot to mount the scope and accept that you may have to shift your eye forward or back a bit at the extremes of the magnification. BTW, I have a Nikon Monarch 2.5-8x28 on my Ruger Gunsite which is where I learned first hand about the eye relief shifting with the magnification.

Truth is that Weaver is the ONLY maker who offers a long eye relief scope at a fixed 4 power which IMO is probably the best option out there for a Scout Scope. It's the Weaver Classic K series EER 4x28 Rifle Scope. BTW, Eye Relief is 8.5-9.5 inches and it's actually a decent little scope. I have one mounted on my Rossi 1892 and am contemplating getting another for the Ruger, because I'm not really happy with the shifting eye relief. Following is a link to this scope at Midway.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...dual-x-reticle-matte

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I have the Leupold 2.5 FXII IER on my 336 and like it a lot. Nice and clear and easy to shoot even with both eyes open.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I agree about the eye relief, VERY critical.
I have EER scopes on my IHMSA pistols ( Nikon,Bushnell Elite).
Its very frustrating to even find the target through the scope when the magnification is turned up, even to say 6X.
This is why I have never embraced the use of the scout type rifle, UNLESS fitted with a very low power scope.

Posts: 4629 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That Weaver 4x is the "classic" scout scope, but it's pretty heavy at close to 1 pound in weight.

If you want a fixed power scout scope, Leupold's fixed 2.5x is a great choice, especially considering it's nearly half the weight of the Weaver 4x (7.5 oz vs. 14.2 oz). Helps keep the scout rifle from being too front-heavy. https://www.leupold.com/scopes...i-scout-ier-2-5x28mm

Leupold also has a lightweight variable power 1-4x scout scope that's only a couple ounces more than their 2.5x (9.3 oz vs 7.5 oz), and still significantly lighter than the Weaver 4x (14.2 oz). But you may have to look around a bit for this one, since it's discontinued. And its main drawback is that it has a shorter eye relief than either of those fixed 4x/2.5x scopes by several inches (~6" vs. ~9"). 6" eye relief is pretty short for a scout scope, so you may not be able to mount it exactly where you want it...
https://www.leupold.com/scopes...28mm-ier-scout-scope

Both of these Leupolds sell for ~$300 online.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yep... as mentioned above, variable scout scopes and pistol scopes present eye relief issues and other annoyances. I've played with scout scope setups on a few guns, the one variable I tried I quickly got rid of. (pistol scopes are the same issue, the zoomed in end works okay from the bench, not so great in the field)

I had a Burris scout scope and sold it because there was something about it I didn't like.... but I can't recall now what that was.
I have one Bushnell 2x pistol scope on one rifle... simple because when I was setting it up I had a spare. The other has a Leopold Scout scope. I'd buy another of the if I ever wanted another scout setup. I can hit things with the 2x a lot farther than I'd have any business shooting at any non inanimate targets.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
appreciate the comments....

BTW, that Marlin looks reallyREALLY nice.....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
"I have one mounted on my Rossi 1892 and am contemplating getting another for the Ruger, because I'm not really happy with the shifting eye relief. Following is a link to this scope at Midway."

Scooter 123 how did you mount the scope on your 1892?

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rossi offers a short rail for their 1892 that mounts using tapped holes hidden under the rear sight. It actually works well with the Weaver scope but the position for the rear optic is right smack dab at the front of the bolt opening, so slip on covers are the ONLY option.

BTW, the 14 ounce weight listed for the Weaver is NOT correct, IIRC it's actually under 8 ounces but it has been a few years since I mounted it so I could be off by an ounce or so.

Sadly I cannot really recommend the Rossi as a rifle needing a scope, accuracy is rather miserable at about 6-8 MOA in spite of free floating the forearm and doing just about any other tweak I could think of including testing a large variety of handloads. Have an actual 1904 vintage Winchester 1892 that a previous owner had re-finished and re-barreled in 357 Magnum with an octagon barrel back when Winchester offered that service that will shoot at 1 MOA with a rear tang peep sight but putting a scope on that rifle is something I would consider butchery. Had hopes the Rossi would make for a decent deer rifle but it's just not accurate enough for anything past 50 yards.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post