SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I'm going to toss this out there, Custom Swedish Mauser
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm going to toss this out there, Custom Swedish Mauser Login/Join 
posted
I have a few swedes in 6.5x55 swede. I love the cartridge. I love my m38. I am contemplating having a custom, or even finding a decent factory rifle that is threaded in 6.5x55 swede.

So, anyone know of any mauser rifle makers?

Anyone know of a off the shelf 6.5x55 swede that is threaded?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I do know that what used to be the cheap way to make a sporting rifle, is now the expensive way. Smile

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ain't nothin cheap anymore.

Sauer has their ceratech in 6.5x55 with an option for a threaded barrel but that is the only one I have found.

I'll keep at it. My preference would be to have one of my existing Mauser actions worked over, rebarreled and set into a new stock.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Up here, lots of guys are using Savage actions to custom build rifles. Might be your best bet to just build your own.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
My preference would be to have one of my existing Mauser actions worked over, rebarreled and set into a new stock.

The problem with doing it that way is it’s like starting with $600 and trading it for $200.

Then putting $1800 to that $200 to build a $500 rifle.

Usually with custom guns, it’s better to be the second or third owner.

Of course we never let commonsense get in the way. Smile

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 557 in 6.5 Swede, nice quality gun. I think they may of stopped making that model, no threaded barrel. I’d think Gunbroker may have some, possibly even NIB.

One should be able to get a barrel threaded.

With a modern rifle in 6.5 Swede, also being a handloader, no reason to get distracted with the Creedmoor.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Mauser rifle makers" as in custom gunsmiths? I know several that can build a beautiful rifle. But "cas" has given an excellent economic overview of the process, especially with a rifle that has plenty of fans in its original military format. (Unless of course you go the "Bubba" route, in which case, in the future, people can look at the gun and think "Someone really effed-up this rifle".)

Or you can just be cool and get a Tikka T3X Varmint.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If the use is VA deer hunting, the 6.5 Swede is in the middle of the ‘sweet spot’.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for a few months. I have yet to see a factory threaded 6.5x55 swede gun. I see them listed, just not on any of the major gun retailers.

I also have number of swedes gifted to me buy a friend. I am considering having one built around one of my actions.

Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
I have a Tikka T3 Hunter in 6/5 Swede. Slick action and shoots 1/2 moa out of the box.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
I have a Tikka T3 Hunter in 6/5 Swede. Slick action and shoots 1/2 moa out of the box.

Factory threaded?

Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:
Originally posted by p08:

Factory threaded?

No, but the only Swede rifles that were threaded are the Calvary models and those are getting pricey. Besides no cock on close action 80-100 year old steel. Won't have to have it drilled and tapped for a scope and most of all won't ruin a collectable gun. Buy the Tikka and have it threaded for much less than what you are thinking of doing.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with the others that suggest something like a CZ or Tikka and having it threaded. A good gunsmith can do that pretty quickly for not much money.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is an option. I'm not opposed to that provided i find one be tween now and next aug.
My current swede pulling deer duty.

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
@OP - it depends what you mean by custom. In my experience, what WE think of as a bespoke rifle is what you would call a custom rifle.

here in UK we have many builders of bespoke rifles in bolt-action and double-rifle format, and covering every calibre known to man. Not only for sporting purposes, game of all kinds, including Big Game, but for every kind of target shooting, too.

However, you are far more likely to find what you want at home in the USA, where there are hundreds of custom builders, from what I've read over the years. If I was rich, I'd be banging on the doors of John Rigby in London to build me a friend for my 1912 Mauser Model B in 7x57 [AKA .275 Rigby.

Prices start at around $20K.

Sights of your choice to add, of course.

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if i were rich... If only.

I'm not finding what I am looking for. It looks like I may have to find a savage, or Remington action and have it made.

If I can find a tikka, that would do. I can have it threaded for a reasonable price.

posted Hide Post
yeah, found a deal on GB.

if you look up Rigby 6.5x55, bargain price of 12,500

:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I’d get a CZ, Tikka or a Howa rather than customize a milsurp.

If you want, search for a barreled action, that would be possibly cheaper.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
DSgrouse,

Not only am I an FFL, and a full time machinist, but I also live in VA. If you are looking for someone to thread a barrel for you, I'd be happy to quote you a price. I have done a few barrels in actions which can be difficult but necessary sometimes. I've cut and threaded a ptr-91 barreled action which was difficult. Here are some pictures of my most recent job, threading a Marlin 336.

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1194 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am keeping my eye out for a suitable rifle.

I will keep you in mind. If you don't mind me asking where are you located.