SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any 22lr ar upper experience?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any 22lr ar upper experience? Login/Join 
Picture of Greymann
posted
I want to get a 22lr upper for my youngest grandson. I don't want a conversion. I had one years ago and was not impressed. Not very accurate.

I was planning on buying a Nordic 22lr upper.
Does anyone have any experience with these?

I saw another from Bear Creek, but mixed reviews.

I'm trying to save a little on ammo. These boys burn through a lot 5.56.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Posts: 1600 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I built my own with a CMMG dedicated .22LR barrel (1:16 twist) and bolt. Don't remember what upper receiver I used...probably an Anderson. That thing runs flawlessly...I've been amazed how reliable it is for being a semi-auto. I actually sold off several other .22s after I got it because it's that much better that I never shot the others anymore.

Posts: 8797 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While Nordic components among a few others have a good reputation, it seems to me lots of the upper and magazine combinations are cobbled together with varying degrees of finickiness

For myself I simply went with the S&W 15/22.

Posts: 3322 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
I have a TacSol dedicated 22LR upper that's been great. Lots o' fun! Smile

Posts: 2685 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I bought a Chiappa M4-22 upper on a Black Friday sale for the ridiculous price of $139. Yes, the upper is made of a black polymer material. And I needed to lightly sand down the section that mates to the lower to take the pressure off the front pivot. But it runs great with the two Black Dog mags it came with and it's a real hoot at the range. Something to consider if you're on a budget.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2551 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are not opposed to buying a complete 22 AR, have a look at Tippmann Arms' M4-22 Rifles. They are supposed to be amazingly good quality guns.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
I was planning on buying a Nordic 22lr upper.
Does anyone have any experience with these?

I have a 9" barrel Nordic 22lr upper. It's a decent upper and a whole lot of fun to shoot. I also have a JP 18" 22lr upper, which is in a different class of accuracy. I highly recommend a dedicated 22lr upper, rather than a conversion.

Understand that it may take some break in time for the upper to function well -- this depends on how the chambers were cut. Both my Nordic and my JP have tight chambers, meaning there are a few light strikes and failures to extract at first. This can be mitigated by keeping the chambers clean.

John Paul (who owns JP Rifles) also stated that a drop of oil on the first top round of every few magazines helps with some types of ammo. The wax on some types of 22lr ammo builds up in the chamber as more and more rounds are fired. This occasional drop of oil cuts through the wax, allowing the rounds to fully seat in the chamber. Again, this issue is more likely to occur with a tight chamber -- the type of chamber that favors better ammo, and that produces better accuracy.

Posts: 7929 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a complete upper from here and have fun. I have two of them and have NEVER had a jam period. They are boringly reliable with the Black Dog mags.

The barrel, and bolt assembly are made for them by CMMG.

https://www.righttobear.com/se...&tab=products&page=1

Posts: 1112 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A gazillion years ago I bought a complete upper from Fulton Armory. With black dog magazines it works great.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 538 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's my 9" Nordic upper on an SBR lower, with a TBAC suppressor. With Wolf ammo it produces 1.5 MOA accuracy at 50-75 yards, from a stable prone position -- but I haven't shot it farther than that.

Most of my practice with the Nordic has been off-hand, on the move, at multiple targets. I developed of couple of training areas from erosion gullies on our property. This gully is maybe 100 yards long... I recall there are 30 of the yellow t-posts throughout its length to support steel targets.

I set targets on 5 positions in the lower third and plinked away with the Nordic 22lr AR15 upper. 100 rounds didn't last very long. I took this picture from a low kneeling position, below a branch -- all 5 targets are in view. When standing and walking up the ravine, only 2 or 3 targets are visible from some positions, more from others.

Posts: 7929 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I used a M261 kit in an A1 to practice off hand indoors years ago,
using the 10 round mags you insert in a standard mag, without any issues, and it was accrate enough

I have an upper I bought from Zanders years ago , don;t recall the maker, and it sits on a plastic lower, and has been dead reliable,

my favorite tho is a M&P-15-22. that works like a charm

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10464 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post