SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    MRO or ACRO P2??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRO or ACRO P2?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have had an MRO since it’s inception and it is still going strong.
Current rifle build was just going to get another. Though I think I’d like something a touch more compact.
The ACRO in a SCALARWORKS Leap seems like it may fit the bill.
The P2 has seemed to address any issues found with the P1.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
of course finding a P2 at the moment might be an issue.
But on a rifle I have no idea why an acro is a good choice. I wouldn't in any normal circumstance but you don't specify the total circumstances. The P1/P2 benefits simply don't matter here and I find the smaller sights not an advantage on a rifle (I've tried an RMR versus an MRO and its much worse).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Do tell a bit more of your comparison between the MRO and RMR.

Purpose of the rifle is to hit 12” targets mainly under 100 yards but out to 200 on occasion.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
The ACRO P2 on a Scalarworks mount might be OK on a small PDW. I've heard of issues zeroing them on AR's though. Not sure if it was a defective sight or just the height over bore and the ammo (not sure what the chambering was, just that it ran out of zeroing travel).

Otherwise, T2 is better. On a rifle or carbine down to 10.5" I like the Aimpoint Comp M5 best. I like the brightness knob and AAA battery better than the T2. And it's 7075 T5 so it's tougher.

On a fixed front sight base mid length I have an MRO just to try it. Put a spare RMR on a 10.5 fixed front sight base just to try it out. Seems a bit small with lower 1/3 cowitness, iron sight aperture is partially blocked by the base of the RMR.

NOTE: all above are Scalarworks mounts at 1.57" height for lower 1/3 cowitness. Best mounts ever made. And no sticky outy things on the wrong side for a lefty.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK when the great RMR Type 1 to Type 2 upgrade happened I had these type 1's that I didn't want on pistol slides due to the ongoing battery issues of the type 1''s. So I mounted a few of them on rifles to see how I liked it. And I ran them in our fun tactical matches for awhile. What I found was 1.I don't like a bigger dot than 2moa on a rifle (some of that may well be habit and history and type of shooting, but for sure an RMR 07 is too big IMO) 2.I am slower picking up the rmr dot than I am using the two other things I run most of the time (Aimpoint CompM5s and MRO)especially in non traditional firing positions.
The one use that the rmr seemed to work really well was when I mounted it far forward on a CZ58 and I am still running it on that but I am sure I would be happier with a smaller dot.
Not sure if that helps or not as it isn't what you are trying to do and my ACRO experience on a rifle is zero (I'm using it on a handgun with no complaints other than battery life (fixed in the P2), but like the RMR better).
I've been very happy with the MRO, but I don't consider it as tough as an aimpoint so its mostly on fun rifles and not my shtf stuff.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the perspective looks like I’ll be sticking with the MRO.
I guess sometimes when you find something that works it is just best to stick with it in the end.

————————————————

Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
I like them both, but the smaller footprint (from the rear view) of the P2 gives it the nod for me.

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
pcshooter
Granted you have yours on a PCC what would your thoughts be to the ACRO on a 5.56 rifle for use mainly under 100 yards but possibly out to 200 yards hitting 12” plates.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Why would you go for the ACRO over a Micro? I don't really get the pistol optic on a carbine thing; especially an open emitter (in reference to the RMR).

Posts: 2150 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
pcshooter
Granted you have yours on a PCC what would your thoughts be to the ACRO on a 5.56 rifle for use mainly under 100 yards but possibly out to 200 yards hitting 12” plates.

Ahh sorry, I misunderstood the question. The 3.5MOA P2 dot is gonna be pretty chonky at 200yds. I'd slap the MRO on if I was planning on shooting past 100yds.

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Why would you go for the ACRO over a Micro? I don't really get the pistol optic on a carbine thing; especially an open emitter (in reference to the RMR).

Just spitballing after seeing the SCALARWORKS mount but Cost and field of view seems a bit better being square.

Seems like the MRO will be better option.

————————————————