SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    55X lubricants
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

55X lubricants Login/Join 
Picture of Malysh
posted
The Swiss issue cleaning kits with 2 tubes of grease.

I'm curious if the soldiers actually use grease as a lubricant for their STGW 90s, or do they use a lubricating oil?

I've used LSA (aka Breakfree) as a lubricant for decades and it's always been fine. I don't rely on LSA as a cleaning solvent, though.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Posts: 418 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the grease provided in the cleaning kits that the current-production guns ship with. It's Italian-made "special anti-gall white grease for guns and chokes". I haven't had any trouble out of it. I'd imagine the grease provided to Swiss soldiers in their kits is what SiG recommends. Whatever soldiers actually end up doing may not be advisable.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
I have a mint 55X cleaning kit that I've never used for my 551-2 SP. It's about 15 years old

Posts: 418 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
I have a tube of Lucas white lithium grease that I've used on my ArmaLite AR-10B.

I will look at that cleaning kit again but I seem to remember the grease tubes had some variety of black grease in them.

* I looked at my 15+ year old cleaning kit. At that
time both grease tubes had black grease in them.
They're still full.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Malysh,

SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
The lube provided in this containers is called “Automatenfett”. It´s lithium grease mixed with Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2). It´s the standard CLP of the Swiss Armed Forces and used in all of their automatic weapons.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
The lube provided in this containers is called “Automatenfett”. It´s lithium grease mixed with Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2). It´s the standard CLP of the Swiss Armed Forces and used in all of their automatic weapons.

That sounds quite a bit like the old USAF grease.

I wonder if the USAF got the idea from the swiss.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally I use ALG Go Juice for lube on all firearms: handguns, SMGs, rifles, semiautos and fullautos, including all of my Swiss 55x. Go Juice stays in place very well, doesn’t gum up, is non-toxic, and it cuts carbon amazingly well.

quote:
Originally posted by OTD:

The Swiss grease is commercially available as Aeroshell. This same grease used on the AR15 barrel nut and upper receiver threads during barrel install.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post