SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    MY AR Lower Buffer detent "hole" is warping
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MY AR Lower Buffer detent "hole" is warping Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted
I went to clean my AR and after cycling the BCG a couple of times the bolt would not close. It took me a few mins of WTF to realize the buffer detent pin was caught in the BCG.

I took it all apart and found this:

Well, I was hoping that Spikes Tactical would see it my way but they say that's not a manufacturers defect.

So who do you guys like for stripped lowers?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No pictures visible. I’ve had no problem with the ST lower that I have. The other stripped lowers I’ve used are Aero Precision, and no problems there either.

Posts: 3325 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that the only thing that could cause that is some part, or combination of parts, being out of spec, allowing the buffer to contact the detent during the firing cycle. Something about the gun wasn't right.

Posts: 2081 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
No pictures visible. I’ve had no problem with the ST lower that I have. The other stripped lowers I’ve used are Aero Precision, and no problems there either.

If you right-click on the pic and open it in a new page, they are visible.

quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Seems to me that the only thing that could cause that is some part, or combination of parts, being out of spec, allowing the buffer to contact the detent during the firing cycle. Something about the gun wasn't right.

BCM upper, Spikes lower and magpul stock.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Why not just get a captured recoil spring system and do away with the buffer detent altogether? You could keep the lower you already have that way.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
BCM upper, Spikes lower and magpul stock.

I wasn't implying you used poor-quality components. That damage doesn't just happen all on it's own; something acted upon that detent, that shouldn't have. I have seen it before, and it was caused by the buffer contacting it. Are there signs of contact on the buffer edges? Are there signs of contact on the inside or aft edge of the channel in the rear of the carrier?

Posts: 2081 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Why not just get a captured recoil spring system and do away with the buffer detent altogether? You could keep the lower you already have that way.

I'm hoping you can help me here as I'm not an expert by any means on the AR platform.

Where do I go to find one? And is that all I need?

quote:
Are there signs of contact on the buffer edges? Are there signs of contact on the inside or aft edge of the channel in the rear of the carrier?

I'll have to look tonight.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shaql,

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
It looks to me that you have caused the problem yourself by not having the buffer retaining pin depressed while installing your receiver extension/buffer tube (whatever you want to call it)... then over tightened the receiver extension/buffer tube to get it to line up rather than depressing the retainer.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
kimberkid may be on to something; I just now looked at the pictures, and that's certainly possible.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:

I'm hoping you can help me here as I'm not an expert by any means on the AR platform.

JP Rifles Silent Captured Springs --> https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8777 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
kimberkid may be on to something; I just now looked at the pictures, and that's certainly possible.

Probably so but it's been years since I put it together and have no recollection of not following the instructions. Doesn't mean I didn't do it wrong....

quote:
JP Rifles Silent Captured Springs --> https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

Thanks!

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
^This right here. That’ll fix you up right quick. Best part is no spring bounce back noise.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:

quote:
Are there signs of contact on the buffer edges? Are there signs of contact on the inside or aft edge of the channel in the rear of the carrier?

I'll have to look tonight.

Nothing special as far as I can tell. But something beat the hell out of the pin:

https://drive.google.com/file/...hMR/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/...8Wc/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/...-N5/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/...zYu/view?usp=sharing

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
If the carrier isn't pushing the buffer back when the upper is closed the buffer pounds the crap out of the retaining pin.
Buffer will look like this.

Either the JP spring or a Law Folder will fix that up.
But you have to check the folder to make sure it doesn't eat the pin before you shoot it.
That's what chewed up two of my buffers, had to make a shim for the adapter.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I was wondering from the pics if perhaps the hole was drilled too far forward and that caused the issue. It's awfully close to those threads compared to what I recall.

I have a spare JP enterprises captured spring I'm not using if you want a little better deal.

Posts: 3062 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I was wondering from the pics if perhaps the hole was drilled too far forward and that caused the issue. It's awfully close to those threads compared to what I recall.

I have a spare JP enterprises captured spring I'm not using if you want a little better deal.

That's what I was hoping ST would say but they don't agree.

That's very nice of you but unfortunately I ordered one earlier in the day. Thank you though!

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I once had an issue getting a rifle to open. It was a Sun Devil billet lower and an Alexander Arms 50 Beowulf upper.

When I finally got it open, the buffer came popping out. The retained "pin" was gone. Actually I found it inside the buffer tube at the bottom. The hole it goes in was kind of oblong, stretched out, forward. I took a punch and hammer and tapped it back closer to round. Put everything back together.

WHY it did this I couldn't say, it never did it again. Not in several hundred more 50B rounds, or the thousands of 5.56 rounds after that upper was sold.

Posts: 21049 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post