SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The importance of leveling the gun for long distance shooting.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The importance of leveling the gun for long distance shooting. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
This thread included a little discussion about the importance of leveling a rifle for long distance shooting, but that wasn’t its primary focus, so I’m starting one dedicated to the issue as something that may be of interest to some of the membership. (I don’t intend it to be a matter of debate, and therefore I won’t; the facts can speak for themselves.)

I was prompted by this video that does a good job of explaining why rifle cant matters at long distances and even includes a couple of live fire demonstrations of the phenomenon. There have also been more scientific discussions of the matter that can be found by appropriate Internet searches.

In short, however, canting (tilting) the rifle so that the scope sight reticle and center of the bore aren’t in the same vertical line with respect to gravity can cause the bullet to deviate left or right from where it would impact if things were lined up correctly. As I pointed out in the other thread, that won’t necessarily matter in all situations, but as a student of shooting and ballistics it’s something that interests me, and may interest others.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Guns & Ammo TV had a short video on this a few months back and it kind of surprised me that they showed it in that I'd never seen anything on it before.

I was aware of it, though, as I've been a varmint hunter for a long time and discovered the problem for myself.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308 with a Swarovski scope for a very reasonable price from a local classifieds. I only looked at it briefly to make sure it hadn't been abused and that the trigger felt okay. The scope was clear but I didn't look at it too closely, as I had determined in advance that Swarovski would honor the warranty.

When I looked at it a few days later to show my brother, I noticed how badly canted the scope had been mounted. I suspect that this may have been a reason for the sale, as the seller had mentioned hunting on pipelines at medium to long range.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post