SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    With Geissele out as an option, who’s the next standard in triggers?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

With Geissele out as an option, who’s the next standard in triggers? Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Wanna put a new trigger in my SBR, always used ALG triggers before as they were a good compromise between cost and function, but if I wanted an SSA style trigger who would be comparable?

Larue?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6253 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post
Big "Yes" for Larue. Very well made trigger that breaks "like a glass rod".

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I have a Centurion Arms AST and a Ruger Elite 452.

The Ruger is a bit lighter than the AST.
Both are about $95.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: powermad,

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geissele, ALG, LaRue in the short list for 2-stage triggers.
Wilson Combat makes a very good 1-stage trigger.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Any love for Hiperfire?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The Ruger one is $130 or so, not $95
Comes with a dummy grip to dry fire but I swear I seen just the trigger being sold.
I got mine with the rifle.
The rack rifle I was looking at had a horrible mil spec trigger and I assumed they all had it.
I was pretty happy the first time I dry fired it, didn't have to buy a trigger after all.

The trigger is about the only thing I can afford from Centurion and I'm surprised that the trigger is priced below quite a few others at $93.
I just ordered another before they went OOS again, two left.

Both have smooth rounded shoes like my BCM PNT trigger.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
LaRue MBT trigger is in all my AR's currently.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have a flat La rue and it’s pretty nice.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Ruger MPR came with Rugers upgraded trigger which I really liked. It was far and away better than the mil spec that came on my LMT several years ago.

I bought a Black Rain Ordnance Fallout AR-10 around the holidays that came with a mil spec trigger that also was terrible. A LaRue trigger fixed that up for only about $100, a great value IMHO.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
"Standard" is milspec. Tier 1 target tactical isn't "standard." Not trying to be a word nazi but it does confuse things when high end parts are discussed as if they are the base line normal.

My best triggers - for the money - are the Anderson kits with stainless trigger and sear. It's probably MIM, MIM has been out since the 90's or earlier when S&W used MIM on the 3Gens for LEO duty use. Better trigger than the ground up bits made on machines, no parting lines, no tool marks and smooth. It was a step up back then and frequently compared to a gunsmith finished kit which was considered the "standard" but which wasn't. Not at all, it was the way they wrote the articles and posts making it seem how "normal" it was.

This is how forums get to be the way they are - it's been going in since before 2000. A few thousand guys all posting about what they consider the norm but which is actually high end. There is a certain amount of brag thread about it, like casually asking who else wears a $6,000 Euro watch.

I have one standard trigger in an AR - a DPMS - a bit gritty and cruchy, and frankly the worst I've used in a AR or M16. BUT - that lower had a trigger travel adjustment screw to shorten the takeup, and that alone makes it work ok. If it doesn't reset over all the grinder marks, you never feel it. Decent trigger after I adjusted it, better than milspec.

No doubt high end trigger makers come up with some great products, keep in mind they do exactly the same, limit travel and make the actual sear release the feature. It's up to the individual how much to pay - but they aren't "standard." And a standard trigger with some finesse can be a good one with no stoning at all.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
If I could not afford a Geissele SSA-E the LaRue MBT would be my choice.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:
"Standard" is milspec. Tier 1 target tactical isn't "standard." Not trying to be a word nazi but it does confuse things when high end parts are discussed as if they are the base line normal.

My best triggers - for the money - are the Anderson kits with stainless trigger and sear. It's probably MIM, MIM has been out since the 90's or earlier when S&W used MIM on the 3Gens for LEO duty use. Better trigger than the ground up bits made on machines, no parting lines, no tool marks and smooth. It was a step up back then and frequently compared to a gunsmith finished kit which was considered the "standard" but which wasn't. Not at all, it was the way they wrote the articles and posts making it seem how "normal" it was.

This is how forums get to be the way they are - it's been going in since before 2000. A few thousand guys all posting about what they consider the norm but which is actually high end. There is a certain amount of brag thread about it, like casually asking who else wears a $6,000 Euro watch.

I have one standard trigger in an AR - a DPMS - a bit gritty and cruchy, and frankly the worst I've used in a AR or M16. BUT - that lower had a trigger travel adjustment screw to shorten the takeup, and that alone makes it work ok. If it doesn't reset over all the grinder marks, you never feel it. Decent trigger after I adjusted it, better than milspec.

No doubt high end trigger makers come up with some great products, keep in mind they do exactly the same, limit travel and make the actual sear release the feature. It's up to the individual how much to pay - but they aren't "standard." And a standard trigger with some finesse can be a good one with no stoning at all.

Toros, I didn’t ask about standard triggers, I asked who is “the standard” when it comes to SSA level triggers lol. “Who is the next standard” Smile

Posts: 6253 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May I ask why Geissele is out as an option? I use their trigger in all my ARs and was curious to see why they're not being considered as they're excellent triggers.

To answer your question I would have to go with the Larue MBT. I have a couple friends and family members who got Larue AR-15s and all of them came with that trigger installed and I would say it's pretty damn close to my Geisseles for a fraction of the cost.

Posts: 790 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, I have always used ALG ACT, so I’ve supported the Geissele family and would never say their triggers aren’t top notch.

My decision not to purchase their products is only due to their recent handling of certain situations as a company, nothing to do with the quality of their offerings. All my previously purchased items were well worth the price, that was 8-10 years ago.

posted Hide Post
Fair enough, I'm out of the loop with regard to a lot of news and updates about firearms and accessories. I bought Geissele triggers back when he first started and they were priced reasonably. Then he blew up and started charging $200+ a trigger.

Posts: 790 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Toros, I didn’t ask about standard triggers, I asked who is “the standard” when it comes to SSA level triggers lol. “Who is the next standard” Smile

You and you facts aren’t welcome here.

I think he simply has a quota of preachy, non-relevant posts each day, and you just won the Toros lotto. Smile

Sorta on topic, I picked up a CMC single stage CCT “Combat” trigger to try as a sorta alternative to the SSA-E ($120 cheaper) and so far not bad.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use CMC drop-ins on my M&P 15-22'a because they are cheap at Primary Arms ($100 on sale) and CMC makes special pins that fit the wider receiver of the 15-22. Standard pins are too short.

If I had to buy a new trigger today, I would like at Q's "Literally the Best Trigger Ever Made". It's pricey, but it's Q. 2-stage drop in chassis with sear at the end of the hammer.

https://liveqordie.com/literal...ade/#product-details

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Any love for Hiperfire?

Very much here.

I have used JP, Geissele, Larue, CMC, and Hiperfire.

The Hiperfire is my pick for the winner of everything I have used.

Go to their website and see how they have engineered a cam over toggle design that reduces hammer/sear forces while still hitting the primer as hard as a mil spec trigger.

Impressive and smart design, and it shows in how the trigger feels when pulled.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:

No doubt high end trigger makers come up with some great products, keep in mind they do exactly the same, limit travel and make the actual sear release the feature.

Not all of them! There are actually some innovations going on beyond simply refining the interface between hammer and sear and lightening some springs as much as can be gotten away with.

I was introduced to the Hiperfire triggers in a cutaway false lower/trigger demonstrator and the intelligent engineering was immediately apparent.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post