SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    True 1- 6 or 8x optics
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

True 1- 6 or 8x optics Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
How do the Swarovski scopes hold up the Scar?
The bulk of my shooting will be at the range standing or sitting....

If it's true that Scars are hard on optics, it likely occurs in two ways -- upper receiver flex during recoil and forward recoil pulse of the BCG. Receiver flex is probably best mitigated by a beefy steel one-piece scope mount, with an integrated recoil lug. Forward recoil pulses are well known in springer air rifles, which are well known to destroy scopes not rated for this type of recoil. Contact your possible scope manufacturers for confirmation that a given scope is rated for springer rifles.

If you are shooting from a bench at a square range, there's no reason to have a LPV scope. Get some magnification so you can hit the distant targets.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at either the Steiner P4XI or the T5XI, I just like the open view with just a red dot in the center, are there any of the brands mentioned previously between 579 and 1500 dollars that have something similar?Mostly used for hog hunting. wouldn't mind a 1-6 if it fits the price..

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Vortex PST Gen2 1-6x24 and the Razor Gen2 1-6x24 both hav very uncluttered reticles with a red dot in the middle - there are some MOA / MIL hashmarks but it's very uncluttered and 'clean'.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
I've been looking at either the Steiner P4XI or the T5XI, I just like the open view with just a red dot in the center, are there any of the brands mentioned previously between 579 and 1500 dollars that have something similar?Mostly used for hog hunting. wouldn't mind a 1-6 if it fits the price..

Leupold VXR Patrol, VX-5, VX-6 are available with simple Firedot crosshair reticles if holdovers are not needed. The FOV on the patrol is a bit limited but it’s very light.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:

I have both a Razor and a T5Xi. I like them both with a slight edge to the Razor. If you shop around you can find a used T5Xi for closer to $800. That is about what I paid for mine. I wouldn't pay $1500 for one.

Visually the Steiner and Razor are quite similar. The T5Xi will work with night vision, if that is important to you. The Razor illumination on setting 1 is too bright for NV.

Build quality on the Razor is higher. Much better turrets.

If EuroOptic still has the Pre-E versions of the Razor for under $900... do that.

P4Xi is outstanding for the price. Great glass and light weight. If they had been on the market when I bought my Razor I would probably still be using the Steiner. Now I am spoiled and there are a lot of guns I would sell before I parted with my Razor.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having owned a Razor 1-6 (briefly) and still having a PST Gen 2, I honestly don't think the Razor is worth the price for the vast majority of users.

I found the Razor underwhelming for the price, but I know I am a huge exception to the standard rule.

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Having owned a Razor 1-6 (briefly) and still having a PST Gen 2, I honestly don't think the Razor is worth the price for the vast majority of users.

I found the Razor underwhelming for the price, but I know I am a huge exception to the standard rule.

At what price though? I paid $1k with a Geissele mount for a like-new Razor (non-E). Not all that much more than buying the PST and mount new.

My only complaint so far is the weight.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I haven't had a chance to get behind a PST Gen2 1-6 on a rifle. I have a 3-15 and I am quite impressed.

The amount of bumps, drops, bangs, heat, rain, etc that I have been through with my Razor with it working perfectly every time all the time has just left me... happy. I don't know how many dump barrels that rifle has been dropped in. I am not saying that it is the only scope worth owning, not at all. But it is a very good one among a growing market of other very good options.

Sunnier days:

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:

At what price though? I paid $1k with a Geissele mount for a like-new Razor (non-E). Not all that much more than buying the PST and mount new.

I was an early adopter. I think I paid $1400 shipped for mine with a Vortex branded ADM Recon-X.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
quote:

Mine was a Razor - E for $1250. I didn't like the fact the top reticle line illuminates at high settings, granted you aren't supposed to see it outside / bright situations, but it just left me unimpressed as the FOV / everything else was comparable to the PST.

The PST I bought was $600 vs the Razor for $1250. Sure the Razor may be more durable and have brighter illum, but the PST is still daylight bright (probably why I went right to max illum on the Razor and was like WTF is with this thing, why is the top line completely lit up?). It seems durable enough and I just moved it to my SCAR 17, so we'll see how it does.

Returned the Razor and went to the NX8 for $1500. That $250 extra really seemed worth it when comparing the two, but they aren't exactly apples to oranges optics, I understand, with different design goals.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sure the Razor may be more durable and have brighter illum, but the PST is still daylight bright (probably why I went right to max illum on the Razor and was like WTF is with this thing, why is the top line completely lit up?).

I don't think I have ever used mine on a setting over 8 even outside on a super bright sunny day with snow cover.

I haven't used the PST 1-6 so I can't really say. I am impressed as hell with my 3-15 but that is a completely different animal than the 1-6.

The illumination bleed is a complete non-issue for my purposes. Yes, it definitely will do it if you have it set on 11 indoors. I don't set it to 11 indoors. Razz

I would like to lay hands on a NF. Looks like an awesome little scope.

posted Hide Post
I’m pretty sure the PST Illum spoiled me on the Razor illum. PST needs to be run at 8-10 for daylight illum but only the dot illuminates with zero bleed. Like none, just the dot illuminates and gets brighter, much like a red dot. You get some bloom, but it’s just the dot.

So when I went to 7-11 on the Razor it struck me as a defect, since litterally no one had ever mentioned it and it doesn’t mention it in the manual (but they do tell people the illum knob locks and needs to be pulled out to move).

And since I had been debating long about the Razor vs the NX8, I immediately regretted getting it. But Vortex made it right, checking out the optic and taking it back since it was “working fine”.

The NX8 is great; a little more biased to longer range shooting / lighter weight, with the higher end mag and not as crazy big eye box, but for me it works great and seemed well worth the price of admission. And it’s not at all hard to get behind and use on a 556 rifle.

I may try a Razor again at some point if the PST dies on the SCAR 17, but maybe not. Great thing about the times we live in, tons of great options for the individual user to pick and choose what they need / what things to do.

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
How do the Swarovski scopes hold up the Scar?
The bulk of my shooting will be at the range standing or sitting....

If it's true that Scars are hard on optics, it likely occurs in two ways -- upper receiver flex during recoil and forward recoil pulse of the BCG. Receiver flex is probably best mitigated by a beefy steel one-piece scope mount, with an integrated recoil lug. Forward recoil pulses are well known in springer air rifles, which are well known to destroy scopes not rated for this type of recoil. Contact your possible scope manufacturers for confirmation that a given scope is rated for springer rifles.

If you are shooting from a bench at a square range, there's no reason to have a LPV scope. Get some magnification so you can hit the distant targets.

After reading this thread over and over and thinking what 1-8 to buy,then, what will I actually do with the SCAR, and reading the learned advice offered, I settled on a Swarovski Z8i, 2.3-18 x56 scope. Lots of field of view and plenty of top end for longer range shooting at paper targets. I will use a ADM Delta 30mm mount.
Scope and mount come Friday.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1-6 realm, Kahles seems to be king when comparing weight and glass quality. I have both that and a Razor HD2-E, and I prefer the Kahles K16i enough to pay the premium over the razor.

1-8? I hear good things about the ATACR 1-8 FFP, but I haven't had hands on yet.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm now running the ATACR (that's the question that started this thread). I've used it enough now to say its pretty darn good. The eyebox is pretty sensitive (on a SCAR17), but that's really the only negative. Unfortunately this is my first shot at 1-x so I can't actually compare it to anything else.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used the 1-10 IOR Vadada?

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
IOR Valdada used to be reasonably priced, their glass is very good. Had a scope on a Remington 700 and accidentally backed over the scope/gun, thou it had a slight scratch it didn't lose zero. They are heavy thou. At least 20 or plus years ago.

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
FYI,
Atibal 1-10 is out now. I think it’s a bit much to have a 10x erector.

The FOV has to suffer and the eye relief variation is crazy. Better not have it on a fixed stock.

Atibal 1-10

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ercarr:
Has anyone used the 1-10 IOR Vadada?

No but all IORs tend to be like tanks. I have a 1.5-8x28 and it's a nice scope, uber clear glass, durable as hell. Spent about 1500rds on my SCAR 17, maybe 500rds on my SCAR 16, been dropped a couple of times but still works. Heavy at 26oz with no rings / caps.

But these days I'd go with something else and I think the 1-10x is like the 1-8x was several years ago - currently still 'in work' and likely to be several more years until it would be ready to go, if there is even the demand for such a beast.

Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Looking at the NF NX8 1-8 for my SCAR 17s. I really want to stick with a MOAR reticle thus bypassing the ATACR 1-8 as it only has the mil reticle. (I have an ATACR 5-25F1 with the MOAR reticle and love it so want to stick to it) thoughts? Trying to keep my SCAR lightweight.

Posts: 396 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post