SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Fell into a great deal on a RPR in 22LR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fell into a great deal on a RPR in 22LR Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted
I didn’t actually buy one but I’ve been wanting an Ruger Precision Rifle in 22LR for a year or bit longer. I was at our local fun show this past weekend and talking to a vender about AK’s and mentioned I had quite a few parts leftover from some DIY builds I’d done a few years ago, so I went home and got them.
Long story short, he brought over another vendor and that vendor bought the parts. Then the new new vender & I started talking about other builds and I told him I also had a tub of leftover HK 91/G3 parts. He introduced me to his boss who was into HK’s and just happened to have a RPR 22LR in inventory and he traded me straight across for my leftover barrels, stocks, hand guards & miscellaneous small parts I’d had under my bench for 10+ years … so we both win!

Unfortunately the weather has been windy & raining so I haven’t been able to shoot it yet, just put the bipod and Leupold 3-9x50 on it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Dang, son... That's a real big scope for a real small caliber. Big Grin

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is this the goldfinger addition?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Oh come on … 3-9 isn’t that big! I’m waiting on a 4-12x40 and I’m just anxious to shoot it.

posted Hide Post
most of the guys I know that play the 'go long' game (300y around here) in .22lr use 15x and up.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
most of the guys I know that play the 'go long' game (300y around here) in .22lr use 15x and up.

I've taken my TacSol X-Ring out to 300 yards. I've got a 4-16 on it. I can usually hit the large gong with bulk ammo 7-8 out of 10 shots. It's fun and super cheap!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8835 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a Precision Rimfire and dig it. Seems very well made and ergonomic. MLOK for a bipod, a milled rail on the receiver, 10/22 mags, and a threaded barrel all help. I think I've got a 4-14x on it and it is fun to shoot at distance.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t mind shooting out to 300 bot our range is built on a fairly steep hill … 100 is level but after that it’s a bit of a trudge, and it always seems muddy!
I’ve got a friend with a farm which is okay for a few months, but shooting over the corn is a bit more challenging!

posted Hide Post
Nice gun. Change that centerfire scope out for a rimfire scope or get a SWFA 10X which will allow you to focus down to 10yds. It will make you life mush easier when it comes to parallax.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think your point is that minimum focus length and there are plenty of great 'centerfire' scopes that can get down to small enough numbers to run on this gun and also provide a high end that works at real range. And I really can't think of any 'rimfire' oriented scopes that have decent high end magnification (min 15x as I stated above), they may exist I've just never heard of one. If you want less than that there are great rimfire choices I normally use the Leupold 3-9 and have several that have done well.

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a 6-24 on my RPR for shooting precision Rimfire matches (125 yard max). Small targets. They are really great bolt guns. You get a lot for little money.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
quote:

I have a 6-24 on my RPR for shooting precision Rimfire matches (125 yard max). Small targets. They are really great bolt guns. You get a lot for little money.

6-24x? More info please!

Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I have a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6x24-50/FFP on my CZ-427 AT-One.

it's a 1-hole shooter when i do my part

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4559 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
I have a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6x24-50/FFP

kimberkid … there is your answer.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have a Athlon 6-24x56 scope on my Savage Striker handgun with a 14" McGowen barrel. The scope has parallax adjustment down to 15 yards.

Posts: 4604 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:

We take our 22s seriously!

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Well, I didn’t like the Leupold 3-9x50 pictured above and listened to comments about an 18 power scope is optimal I sent the 4-12x40 back and ordered a Leupold 6-18x40 which finally arrived today.
The weather was nice on Friday and I put an early BSA 8-32x50 on it, just to try it out. I was shooting Fiocchi 40GR SV and was pleasantly surprised. 4 of the first 5 rounds hit the target in the light green ring at about 4 o’clock and made one hole, the 5th I pulled and it hit the dark green just above the 4. I was kinda thrilled about the 4 but kept reminding myself that it was only 25 yards Roll Eyes still, it’s been a long time since I’d put more than 3 in one hole.

Then two old guys (probably mid 60’s, so they’re my age) came over and kept asking me questions and my concentration fell apart, but I did manage to walk my shots into the red.

Then my wife called and wanted to know where I was and how we we’re going to be late for dinner with friends, but hurried to shoot 5 at the 50 and they sucked, but since we’re all friends here, I figured I’ll survive the roasting Big Grin Hopefully tomorrow or Friday will be better.