SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Aimpoint CompM2 site question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aimpoint CompM2 site question Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I have mounted on an AR but wonder about sighting it in. The rifle has the FSB and when the dot is on it is above the front site base a good bit. What is the the normal way to have this situated?

Also, does the Aimpoint work like a conventional scope with elevation adj. on the top and widage on the side? 1/4moa at 100yds?

Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quick way to bore site a red dot is to cowitness it in your irons. Then shoot it to verify.

The clicks are 1/2 MOA.

Here's the field manual in case you didn't receive a copy:

Kinda interesting that they show different mountings for right and left handed shooters! :-)

https://www.aimpoint.com/filea...ickRef_ENG_LoRes.pdf

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thank you djp, that was exactly the info I was looking for. Really appreciate it.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that manual. I never had one and I never suspected that the sight was designed to be rotated over for left-handed shooters. That’s obviously to get the battery compartment out of the way of their nondominant eye when aiming with both eyes open. Very useful information.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
What mount did you end up getting for it? I believe the factory M2 mount is a co-witness mount (QRP), but if you ended up with a QRP2 (Aimpoint PRO), I think that is a lower 1/3rd height mount and would put your dot above the FSP a bit. If you have the latter, you could remove the riser between the ring mount and the lower section to co-witness.

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It still "co-witnesses" whether it is lower 1/3rd or not. Co-witness just means that you can line up your irons through the optic window (anywhere).

An "absolute" co-witness means when the dot is in the center of the optic, the irons are as well. A lower 1/3rd has the irons lined up in the bottom part of the window so they are less intrusive when using only the dot with a more head's up shooting position. If/when you line up the irons in a lower 1/3rd co-witness, the dot will not be above the front sight if it is properly zeroed. It will be in the lower 1/3rd of the window along with the irons.

If it doesn't co-witness that means when you line up the irons you can't see through the window, the solid part of the sight base is in the way.

A classic example would be just about any handgun with standard height sights and an optic. The standard irons aren't tall enough to get any sight picture, it's blocked by the optic base so you have to use "suppressor" height sights.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:

Kinda interesting that they show different mountings for right and left handed shooters! :-)

I checked on Aimpoint PRO and it wasn't talked about. I wonder?

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yucaipa:

I don’t have a PRO, but I just checked my CompML3 and the adjustments are marked for both orientations, e.g., L / UP and R / UP. (I obviously never paid attention to the manual, because I just checked and the left hand orientation is shown there as well.)

Now that I think on it, if the sight can be rotated, there’s no reason why it wouldn’t work like that. The CompM5, though, cannot be rotated, and therefore it wouldn’t be possible with that model.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by yucaipa:

I don’t have a PRO, but I just checked my CompML3 and the adjustments are marked for both orientations, e.g., L / UP and R / UP. (I obviously never paid attention to the manual, because I just checked and the left hand orientation is shown there as well.)

Now that I think on it, if the sight can be rotated, there’s no reason why it wouldn’t work like that. The CompM5, though, cannot be rotated, and therefore it wouldn’t be possible with that model.

Thanks, good to know. For us LHS'ers

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KHolm:
What mount did you end up getting for it? I believe the factory M2 mount is a co-witness mount (QRP), but if you ended up with a QRP2 (Aimpoint PRO), I think that is a lower 1/3rd height mount and would put your dot above the FSP a bit. If you have the latter, you could remove the riser between the ring mount and the lower section to co-witness.

I have a LaRue M68 CCO on this one. I have adjusted the elevation on it to where the dot is just above the FSB. So i am thinking that is about perfect. I will shoot it soon to confirm.

I have another M2 and have a QRP2 on the way for it. Hoping it will work equally well.

Thanks for all the info guys. It has been helpful.