SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    BCM has a weird business model (nothing in stock)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BCM has a weird business model (nothing in stock) Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
Have nothing in stock for consumers to buy= PROFIT???????

Seems like 90 percent of their inventory has been out of stock for some time.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37143 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
I signed up for email notifications on several .300 bk upper receiver groups months ago and have not received a single notification. Business must be good for somebody. Local FFLs have them in stock most of the time.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4844 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
They're in stock, but then, they tend to go fast. So, it looks like they're always OOS. Pretty sure they are profitable.

Q

Posts: 27166 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
They're in stock, but then, they tend to go fast. So, it looks like they're always OOS. Pretty sure they are profitable.

In the past, whenever I would set up a email notification, I would receive an email when they were in stock. You had to move fast to complete your order. When I say move fast, I mean having your order placed within a few minutes of receiving the email. In the case of the .300 bk receiver groups, I have not had a single notification in months. I believe dealers are buying them as fast as they make them and online orders are taking a back seat.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4844 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Yes, either way (consumers or dealers), my point is they are making profits. Jones' statement seems to imply they are not, because they almost always have "nothing in stock".

Q

Posts: 27166 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Hint; US Gov contracts keep the lights on at BCM, not consumer sales.

Posts: 3131 | Location: Loudoun VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried places like Brownells? They have quite a bit of BCM products in stock.

Posts: 4 | Registered: January 21, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have heard it speculated that BCM's involvement with the Springfield Saint could be partially to blame.

Posts: 2394 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
BCM's involvement with the Springfield Saint could be partially to blame.

Can you provide a little detail?

-- George Orwell

posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I cannot; like I said: it's speculative. At the time of the Saint's release, it was reported that BCM was involved with the rifle's production. In what capacity and to what extent I do not know. Since then, I have spoken with folks (not industry insiders) who speculated that their involvement with he Saint may be a contributing factor to the diminished presence of their rifles. It makes enough sense to be a possibility.

Posts: 2394 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Seems they are highly sought after, scaling production would likely come at a cost of QC.

I’m okay with waiting, you never hear someone complain about BCM, and generally they are my go to for most items AR related.

I doubt they are purposefully remaining OOS. But like I said, I’m good with their current capacity.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6507 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^^ Yes, either way (consumers or dealers), my point is they are making profits. Jones' statement seems to imply they are not, because they almost always have "nothing in stock".

Having a few items in stock every so often and selling out quickly is out of stock. If a restaurant has food for 20 minutes only every few months, or you can buy shakes this week and burgers next month, well, it’s the BCM business model.

And as far as “retailers” go, I’ve had BCM parts on order since first of December. They can’t seem to get things from distributors either.

BCM used to be easy to deal with and had a lot in stock. Not so much today.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37143 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they also tend to favor their dealers, which is respectable.

Posts: 5190 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

Sounds like another LMT.

Too bad. Built their business on regular consumers then piss' on them for contracts.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19524 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What contracts do they have?

posted Hide Post
BCM makes some good stuff but getting it is another. They do tend to sell out quick,whatever the reason-small amount of particular product,etc.. The upper I bought from them years ago was fantastic and was shipped fast. I really liked the Vltor charging handle design they carried.

Posts: 6993 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
I believe the shortages on their website are a direct result of FFL dealers buying them for retail sales. I purchased several BCM Rifles years ago and at that time, none of the gun stores in this area carried them. Even most online retailers didn't carry them. That is not the case now. "nothing in stock" is a by-product of their success. It sucks for those who wish to purchase directly from BCM.

Making a good product at a good price has been a great business model.

-- George Orwell

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Just got an email from Primary Arms indicating that all their BCM stuff is on sale today. Made me think of this thread...may be worth a look if you're still shopping.

Posts: 8965 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post