SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Can't decide between two scopes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't decide between two scopes Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
I have a limited budget and have narrowed it down to the Sig Tango 4 6-24X50 30MM and the Athlon Helos 6-24X56 34MM.

The Sig is made in the Philippines (big plus) but only has a 5 year warranty on the electronics. I also already have mounts for it

Athlon has really good reviews but its made in china (but what isn't now days). It has an unlimited warranty and HQ is local. So if ever needed I can swing by and drop it off.

What do you guys think?

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can’t help you on those two particular scopes, but what I learned over the years is a lower power quality scope will beat a higher power lower quality scope every time. If price is a concern, I would go with a lower power quality scope, or save until you can get the glass you want Wink.

Posts: 1100 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig's milling reticles suck. Their DEV-L reticles are decent. Athlon's reticles are decent.

I've looked through both scopes -- the glass is pretty clear and bright. Turret feel is decent.

Sig's website states that their scope has a fixed parallax of 100 yards. That eliminates the scope from being useful.

I've directly spoken to 2 guys with Athlon scopes -- one is a local shooter and friend, the other was in my squad in a steel match. Both said their Athlon scope's elevation adjustment failed -- one in a match, the other during practice. That eliminates the scope from my use in steel matches.

I would not consider buying either scope. YMMV

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I agree with what has been said by both. I do not have the feedback Fritz has on them but I totally believe him.

I do not know what the scopes you are considering cost. I am guessing in the $800-$1000 range?
I would buy a used scope. Maybe look at the bushnell tactical line. Maybe look at the Swfa site. Post a wtb add in the classifieds. Don't spend good money on junk.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For affordable scopes with the best reticle designs, Primary Arms is the standout. Look at their GLx line (Phily) and possible the PLx line (Japan).

Seriously. They are shooters and design scopes accordingly. The irony is the Euro and Japanese scopes are designed by people who aren't allowed to shoot much.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
For affordable scopes with the best reticle designs, Primary Arms is the standout. Look at their GLx line (Phily) and possible the PLx line (Japan).

Seriously. They are shooters and design scopes accordingly. The irony is the Euro and Japanese scopes are designed by people who aren't allowed to shoot much.

I don't get dealer pricing with them

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have a couple Athlon scopes. One is mounted to a 15"barrel.22LR Savage Striker handgun, the other is on a 308 rifle. I chose the scope for the .22LR because of the close parallax ability. The one on the 308 is basically a trial period scope until something better comes along and I figure out what scope specs will work best on that rifle.
Like so many things now, there are different generations of the Athlon scopes. The newest generation ( I believe is GEN 2) has improved features.Make sure when you shop you are buying the most current model.
No problems with either scope. Actually, not a bad scope for the right price.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I've directly spoken to 2 guys with Athlon scopes

Thanks for those comments.
Based on the reviews I’d seen I was thinking of an Athlon scope myself due, as I recall, to its close focusing ability. Unfortunately most reviews of scopes consist of, “I just got this scope. I can see through it and turning the adjustment knobs moves the reticle.” There usually isn’t a lot of information about how they perform over the long run, and therefore it’s good to hear from the voices of experience.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
lifetime warranty,

had an Osprey brand scope on a rifle I bought,

scope had been rode hard and put up wet,

went to the Osprey website, and mailed the scope in,
got a similar scope back , no questions, no drama, a few weeks later

had a similar condition scope from a chinese company (Vector Optics, IIRC) that had a lifetime warranty as well,

only that lifetime was apparently the lifetime of the scope, they did not offer me a replacement or something similar, just $100 off any scope I wanted,

so be careful of those lifetime warranties,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
would skip the Made in China stuff if at all possible

we all gotta stop buying that shit if we can (I'm not trying to be overly preachy as I buy China crap from time to time also...)

I have a Sig 1-6X LPVO and its good for what I paid. (different model)

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
would skip the Made in China stuff if at all possible

I completely agree. But sometimes that is easier said than done.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have experience with Trijicon Tenmile line of scopes? I was really wanting a FFP but these are made in Japan and I can get them for under $900.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
No, but a quality company so I would have little concern if the scope had the specs I wanted.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I missed the part where it was said what the ranges used would be, and what target.

Hunting or precision paper, for example. A minimum 4 or 6 power says it's mostly beyond 200m and 24 power seems to be beyond 500m. If it's antelope then the better quality glass would do over the long run. Precision shooting then in 2-3 years its outdated anyway in the upper tier brackets.

I've been on a mission from the Maker to proclaim Truth about Guns and it boils down to working from what range? what target? usually sorts out all the decisions. In my circumstances a cheap red dot does fine for hunting - rarely a shot out to 125m and budget friendly - but that may have no resemblance to what the OP is doing, and without knowing, the internet will usually just recommend what posters own - not what fits.

One thing I have noted from optics makers these days is a race to high powered scopes, yet they get installed on short range guns. I found that even a 3x9 on a deer rifle at 45 yards, cranked down low, still gets you fur in the eyepiece and it's hard to tell which end you are aiming at - especially when they are trotting and won't stop. On the other hand 24x may not be good enough at 25m trying to zero a military target for qualification. After all, it's brag time.

I probably wont buy another red dot and a scope for me won't go 2x at the most. OP? What range what target sorts it all out.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Walker, I have a Trijicon 1-8x28 AccuPower which I believe they renamed to Credo. I got mine from B&H Photo at a great price a couple years ago.

It has been rock solid!

If the Tenmile line is similar, I wouldnt hesitate to get another Trijicon scope.

Buy once cry once with glass!

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
Does anyone have experience with Trijicon Tenmile line of scopes? I was really wanting a FFP but these are made in Japan and I can get them for under $900.

I bought one a while back, still waiting to mount it. (rings might be here today?) So other than playing with it a few times, I can't give any real feedback. Seems nice, I'm not crazy about the reticle in the one I have, but it'll work. The model I have has capped turrets, which since I don't plan on doing much knob twisting should be fine. So the best I can say is "so far so good", but without shooting it, that's not very far. lol

Went with it mostly BECAUSE I could get it at a better price, BECAUSE it's made in Japan, because it's a brand I trust, because any other Trijicon scopes I've looked through looked pretty decent glass wise. More than good enough for what I will do with it. And honestly I don't know if it will get used enough to spend any more. I hope it gets used enough to justify what I did. lmao

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

Went with it mostly BECAUSE I could get it at a better price, BECAUSE it's made in Japan, because it's a brand I trust, because any other Trijicon scopes I've looked through looked pretty decent glass wise. More than good enough for what I will do with it. And honestly I don't know if it will get used enough to spend any more. I hope it gets used enough to justify what I did. lmao

That is pretty much word for word what I came up with for this scope. Only negative is that it's a second focal plane. I thought I wanted first. But the more I think about it I probably won't notice the difference

Which reticle and magnification did you get?

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:
I missed the part where it was said what the ranges used would be, and what target.

Hunting or precision paper, for example. A minimum 4 or 6 power says it's mostly beyond 200m and 24 power seems to be beyond 500m. If it's antelope then the better quality glass would do over the long run. Precision shooting then in 2-3 years its outdated anyway in the upper tier brackets.

I've been on a mission from the Maker to proclaim Truth about Guns and it boils down to working from what range? what target? usually sorts out all the decisions. In my circumstances a cheap red dot does fine for hunting - rarely a shot out to 125m and budget friendly - but that may have no resemblance to what the OP is doing, and without knowing, the internet will usually just recommend what posters own - not what fits.

One thing I have noted from optics makers these days is a race to high powered scopes, yet they get installed on short range guns. I found that even a 3x9 on a deer rifle at 45 yards, cranked down low, still gets you fur in the eyepiece and it's hard to tell which end you are aiming at - especially when they are trotting and won't stop. On the other hand 24x may not be good enough at 25m trying to zero a military target for qualification. After all, it's brag time.

I probably wont buy another red dot and a scope for me won't go 2x at the most. OP? What range what target sorts it all out.

Roll Eyes

Have you taken your meds today?

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is pretty much word for word what I came up with for this scope. Only negative is that it's a second focal plane. I thought I wanted first. But the more I think about it I probably won't notice the difference

Which reticle and magnification did you get?

I chose the one I did because of the limited options I had, this one came closest to what I was after. SFP didn't concern me what so ever because what I'm going to do with / how I'm going to use it, it's pretty much irrelevant. It's the Tenmile HX 6-24x50
https://www.trijicon.com/produ...s/tmhx2450-c-3000004 (and no I did NOT pay their posted retail price) Smile

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post