SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    So, how many pmags does one really need?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, how many pmags does one really need? Login/Join 
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted
Every time the dims would do something that pissed me off, I'd buy two or three. I'm up to 60 30-rounders and 2 20-rounders. Of course, they're all loaded. Trying to decide if I should purchase more.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5291 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
honestly, I don't have any,

but I do have a shload of GI mags, (not sure of the number, but I do recall that I can get 32 20rounders in a 50 cal can,, and I have a couple cans full, + more in cabinets and bags

some loaded, most not,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
Of course, they're all loaded.
I hope you have the magazine cover on those mags, to take pressure off the feed lips. Aluminum mags, steel mags, and hybrid mags with metal feed lips (like the Lancer) are not susceptible to feed lip spreading when loaded longterm, but, in my experience, PMags are. You can avoid this by keeping the cover on the mags until you are ready to use them.

A PMag locked into a rifle does not have any pressure on the feed lips, so, you can keep one in your rifle forever.

My preference is for USGI (specifically, the Okay mags) and Lancers.

Posts: 107226 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’m good on P-mags. I think I’ve got a dozen or so. I don’t think one can own too many USGI mags. The D&H Palmetto mags are a good value.

Posts: 17043 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You can avoid this by keeping the cover on the mags until you are ready to use them.

I agree with this. I have witnessed a PMAG with tired feed lips just spit rounds out when shaken only somewhat vigorously.

I prefer USGI mags as well.

Posts: 2075 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have a case of 100 BMC/D&H USGI mags I bought early in 2020 when the State of Virginia was trying to pass mag bans. Pmags are fine but zero use for them as they don't fit all my guns.

Posts: 3062 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That’s my other issue. My one “expensive” 5.56 rifle is an FS2000 and it won’t do PMAGS without permanent modification to the gun that I’m not willing to do. Lowest common denominator is a USGI mag for it, and the AR’s.

Posts: 17043 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I hope you have the magazine cover on those mags, to take pressure off the feed lips. Aluminum mags, steel mags, and hybrid mags with metal feed lips (like the Lancer) are not susceptible to feed lip spreading when loaded longterm, but, in my experience, PMags are. You can avoid this by keeping the cover on the mags until you are ready to use them.

A PMag locked into a rifle does not have any pressure on the feed lips, so, you can keep one in your rifle forever.

Thank you, Para, for that valuable information.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5291 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Wait until you start buying a half dozen because you "don't have that color yet" (OD green got me).

OTOH, in my experience it doesn't hurt to have more than a couple of 20-rounders on hand. The dang things make life easier on the bench, and they can make a rifle a lot handier where that's more valuable to you than having an another ten rounds on tap.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Lifetime supply for myself, family, and some for friends and neighbors.

Posts: 9942 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
1994-2004 assault weapons ban taught me a lesson I will never soon repeat. Buy it cheap, stack it deep, in the good times.

No need to store your mags full. In fact, I recommend the opposite. It DOES put wear and tear on your spring, and in the case of polymer mags, your feed lips (spreading).

You'll never need 100 mags unless going to war. Don't load 100 mags. Maybe load 5-10 for around the house and range.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I with Bubba in that keeping 5-10 loaded and the rest unloaded. We have two boys that load like you have never seen. As far as the number of pmags go...probably around 50ish...never really counted. I do have a plethora of HK maritime mags that I really like but they dont stay loaded. And know I didnt pay anywhere near full price so I could be sitting on a gold mine if the right customer came along. Smile

Posts: 583 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I know I've got a good sized box full of pmags and another full of Lancers. That doesn't count a drawer full I can't find space for and about 10 that are loaded with Gold Dots. They are hard to resist buying.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6985 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
1994-2004 assault weapons ban taught me a lesson I will never soon repeat. Buy it cheap, stack it deep, in the good times.

No need to store your mags full. In fact, I recommend the opposite. It DOES put wear and tear on your spring, and in the case of polymer mags, your feed lips (spreading).

You'll never need 100 mags unless going to war. Don't load 100 mags. Maybe load 5-10 for around the house and range.

I completely agree.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2313 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks, I learned something today!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

I agree with you on everything but the spring set myth. I would not keep PMAGs loaded because of the feed lips, as para stated, but I would have no concern with the springs.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17238 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trying to decide if I should purchase more.

The number of mags is your choice. What is a treasure for some, might be woefully inadequate for others.

I have more pmags (and other brands) than I will ever need or use. It was part of a panic buying frenzy that hit many gun owners in Colorado, when magazine capacity laws went into effect. We were allowed to grandfather ownership of anything prior to the date the law went into effect.

I suspect I have around 20 AR mags in some level of active use, with the rest sitting in their original packaging in storage boxes. Of these 20, probably 10 see the most consistent use. After some 25k rounds fired in ARs, IIRC I've thrown away only 3 pmags. A 20 round Gen 3 that double fed a handful of times, and two 30 round Gen 2s that didn't drop from from the mag well. I have way more magazines than I will ever retire due to malfunctions during my life.

I only keep a couple of mags loaded -- the rest are empty. I store my ammo in original boxes, managed in larger boxes, in basement storage racks. Even with the all the AR magazines I own, I have more ammo than magazine capacity.

My ARs tend to like certain types of ammo, but each rifle's barrel has its own quirks when it comes to accuracy. I match ammo to rifle for a given day of shooting -- whether it be training or competition. Furthermore, I've tested ammo enough to know that different manufacturing lots for a given ammo type can perform differently. Thus, I don't mix ammo lots, unless I'm very comfortable that changing lots won't affect accuracy or muzzle velocity. Of course this is all done for high accuracy at distances of hundreds of yards. Close in shooting doesn't require this.

I don't see a reason to have 1800 rounds in magazines.

Posts: 7845 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I am somewhat inexperienced with AR mags so this problem with P Mags is new to me.

Posts: 580 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
1994-2004 assault weapons ban taught me a lesson I will never soon repeat

This is me also. If you have to actually think about it and question it, you don't have anywhere near enough. Me personally because Pmags don't run well in lots of stuff I use GI mags for the vast majority of my supply.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I have more mags than I need yes.

But I continue to buy more. They take up little space and it may sound dumb but I want my kids and grandkids to have plenty as well.

If for nothing else than maybe they can make a decent buck or two during another temporary or permanent ban.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6236 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post