SIGforum
So, how many pmags does one really need?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/1770004484

August 23, 2021, 09:15 PM
parabellum
So, how many pmags does one really need?
Well, I've got lots of PMags, Lancers and Okay USGI magazines. A small number of D&H USGI mags (formerly Labelle). Some others- FN steel magazines, and Beretta 70/90 mags (also steel). Oh, and a few of those 30/45 round Thermolds. Remember those? Big Grin

I've got 5 Okays loaded with 28 rounds each of M193, in a bandolier. A Lancer 30 rounder loaded with 28 rounds, locked in the AR I keep handy. Two more loaded 30 round Lancers and one loaded Lancer 20 rounder I keep in the bag the rifle is stored in. If nearly 250 rounds loaded into mags is not enough in the short term for emergency use, hoo boy, what the heck.

Regarding spring fatigue, I don't think you have anything to worry about with keeping them loaded longterm, assuming the magazines (and therefore the magazine springs) come from a quality manufacturer. Properly tempered magazine springs wear out from repeated cycles of compression/decompression, not from longterm compression.

August 23, 2021, 09:22 PM
p08
I have about 100 Gen 2 Pmags. All new in bag. Waiting to sell them during the next panic.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.
August 23, 2021, 09:29 PM
parabellum
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
Waiting to sell them during the next panic.
Just keep that stuff to yourself, please.

I don't care for people seizing upon market panic. I think it's unethical. And you should not be mentioning you have these for sale outside of Classifieds.
August 23, 2021, 09:31 PM
bustabuddy
I will put one in every grandkid's Christmas stocking. The first year I did it my Earth Mother-type daughter took it away from the toddler and handed it back to me. Her husband immediately said, "hey wait, I will keep it for her until she gets older". Never really had any use for the boy before that moment. Now we hunt together.
August 23, 2021, 09:39 PM
parabellum
Big Grin

Whereabouts in East Texas, if you don't mind me asking?
August 23, 2021, 09:50 PM
Chowser
Our Pmags at work were spares on vests without the cap and they all split. I’ve switched us to Lancer mags.

Not minority enough!
August 23, 2021, 09:56 PM
parabellum
Yeah, if you keep the cover on them, they're fine, but I don't like having to be so careful with these magazines. Lancers are great.

The one thing where I've found 30 round Pmags to excel is when you couple two mags together with Magpul's maglink. That's a good solid setup and the Magpul magazine cover is perfect for the offside magazine. No binding, no misfeeds.

Lancer sells a coupler. I bought two but I won't use them. The couplers feel flimsy and they bind the magazine follower unless you apply just the right amount of pressure to the coupler screw. No thank you. Not worth it.
August 23, 2021, 09:58 PM
Pale Horse
When I left active duty service I had obtained a bunch of USGI AR mags and Beretta 92 mags. I would have turned them in, but I lost my gortex raincoat and the supply weenies made me buy a new one for $200ish, so I kept the extra mags. Because fuck them.

I honestly have no clue how many magazines I own for those guns, but it’s not enough. I don’t think you can ever have too many.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014
August 23, 2021, 10:29 PM
DrWho
For all my magazines for all firearms I have 955
August 23, 2021, 10:37 PM
Pittwm
quote:
Originally posted by DrWho:

You won the internet today! lol

Murray State University, my son just graduated from there.
August 23, 2021, 10:52 PM
parabellum
Not a thousand? What kind of slack shit is that, man?
August 23, 2021, 10:52 PM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by DrWho:

This man just became my role model.

August 23, 2021, 11:40 PM
bolo4tom
not a big fan of the PMags but I do have 225 of the 30 rnd USGI mags and 35 of the 20 rounders
August 24, 2021, 12:26 AM
Bisleyblackhawk
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Wait until you start buying a half dozen because you "don't have that color yet" (OD green got me).

For me it was the transparent red ones from Lancer Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet
August 24, 2021, 12:31 AM
parabellum
Yeah, I saw those just the other day. They've got purple ones, too.
August 24, 2021, 12:34 AM
DrWho
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Not a thousand? What kind of slack shit is that, man?

Well I have 10 HK 30rd to be delivered Wednesday so I am still working on it. Some of my mags were purchased back to the 60s.
August 24, 2021, 09:43 AM
patw
I used to buy the Magpul mags quite often when I could find them in stores on the cheap and occasionally would buy them in 10 packs over the years. I have all 3 generations and a few colors, and they all seem to work well. I think I only have about 70 now, which I think will last me a long time and probably even outlast me.
August 24, 2021, 10:04 AM
KSGM
I don't have nearly as many mags as some of y'all! Very impressive stockpiles here. I have enough that I don't ever feel the need to buy another. That's totally subjective though, so doesn't mean much. I'll have to count my AR mags now, out of curiosity.

Edit: 67 AR mags. More than I thought, actually. I certainly agree with "you can't have too many", but I am not investing in any anytime soon.

One thing that's really burned my toast over the past eighteen months or so is my Sig 55X magazines breaking. I have had four go down on me, all due to cracking around the feed lips. Sucks big-time, especially considering how much they cost to replace right now. Granted, the ones I have had break have all been ones I got second-hand, so who knows how much use they've seen. I am certainly guilty of leaving them loaded though, and have tried to avoid doing so, since I have experienced the breakages.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,
August 24, 2021, 10:16 AM
bubbatime
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I agree with you on everything but the spring set myth.

Spring set is not a myth.

A loaded magazine that's been sitting for a while, loaded, will have a shorter spring than a brand new never used spring.

Its called permanent spring set.

Some magazine brands use different qualities of spring steal, and a properly designed magazine spring will last a long time.

Some springs wear out sooner than others. Some magazine springs could be used for decades. Others, might last 3 years.

For instance, my old Ruger LCP first gen, has very weak, anemic magazine springs. They barely last 3 years before they are choking. I have to order new mag springs from Ruger about every 3 years. I have 20 year old AR15 mags with lots of use on them that still have plenty of life left on the spring.

To say there is no such thing as spring set, is a fallacy.

August 24, 2021, 01:21 PM
Sig209
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I agree with you on everything but the spring set myth.

Some magazine brands use different qualities of spring steal, and a properly designed magazine spring will last a long time.

Some springs wear out sooner than others. Some magazine springs could be used for decades. Others, might last 3 years.

i agree and that is the proverbial 'X Factor'. you just don't know.

so I'm with Para. I keep some loaded. Most not loaded. I'm not planning an incursion into the Korengal.

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.