SIGforum
Mossberg 940 convert

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/1700099494

September 22, 2022, 12:04 PM
Dave Bean
Mossberg 940 convert
So I am interested in getting a shotgun for home defense and waterfowl. But instead of getting two separate models, can I just get one and then change barrels for the other task? I am leaning towards getting the Pro model and the barrel for the Waterfowl. It will remain in the bedroom and I'll change to the waterfowl barrel for those few days I go hunting.
September 22, 2022, 12:21 PM
CPD SIG
Why not?!?!

I've got an 870 with 2 different barrels.
20in for the home defense / riot gun
28in for clays.

Yes, I get odd looks when I pull out a blacked out Remmington 870, sling, SureFire light mount and a side saddle at the Trap & Skeet club. Not much different I'd assume if I'd use it for duck.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy
September 22, 2022, 12:46 PM
kkina
That's what I do with my 500. Toggle between the 18.5" and 28" bbls. Sure, it looks a little tacti-kuhl at the trap range, but so whatsky.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
September 22, 2022, 05:20 PM
Dave Bean
Well, it's not the looks that would concern me, the 500/590 and 870's has the ability to change barrels.
My concern was.. if there was anything technical that would prevent me from doing it. I know... most things in the shotgun world are static/boring but the 940 is a newer model... you never know.
September 23, 2022, 01:12 PM
CPD SIG
Nope, switch the barrel out, and you're good to go.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy
September 23, 2022, 01:27 PM
kkina
Yep, the ol' barrel switch is a breeze. Funny you should ask now, as that's what I've been doing the last couple weeks. Yesterday did the 40-yard tin can range with the 18.5" barrel, next week will try the 28".

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
September 24, 2022, 06:11 PM
kkina
Ready for anything...

500 BBLs - 1 by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
September 27, 2022, 02:03 PM
Loswsmith
While I don't want to rain on any parades, the 500/590s are pump action and the 940 is semi automatic. I can see there are both barrel types available (hunting and tactical), there's more involved in getting the barrel off on the 940. But it's do-able and as long as you address capacity issues relevant to your state's hunting laws (if you get the hi-capacity tube version).

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi
September 30, 2022, 02:27 PM
LS1 GTO
I have a 930SPX. A kind person here gifted me a 28" barrel. Now i have something for both home defense and the field.

Barrel swapping is just as simple as my Remington 870.

Also did an OR3GUN field kit. Can cycle through 950fps target loads and 1300fps field loads. No problem. No hiccups.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime