SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sporting clays semi-auto in the $1k range. Thinking Beretta 391. Any other suggestions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sporting clays semi-auto in the $1k range. Thinking Beretta 391. Any other suggestions? Login/Join 
A man of few words
posted
I'm wanting to get back into sporting clays. My use will be casual shooting with friends maybe once a month. Quite a while back I had a Benelli Supersport that fit me well, but from what I've seen so far prices of those have gone absolutely nuts. It was a nice gun, but I don't think that it's worth what they are going for now. The 391 looks like a solid gun, and still seems to have its share of fans over the 400 series.

I like semi-auto and I can up the budget, but I would prefer to keep this in the $1k range. Anything else in that range that deserves a look?

UPDATE: Bought a 391 Urika 2 Gold Sport!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bryanZ06,

Posts: 1010 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
I have a Beretta 391 and it is a great gun. I bought it used for like $700-$750 around 2007. It sits in the safe more than I shoot it, but it is a wonderfully made piece. If I had to do it over again I would opt for a 20ga over a 12ga. I'm a big guy, but I love the lines of a trim 20ga semiauto. They just swing faster and are more nimble. The Benelli Montefeltro is also a wonderfully built shotgun. At the time I had my options to buy either one and chose the Beretta just because it had a prettier wood pattern.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO the Beretta 391 is the most successful semi auto for clays. No other other auto has the same feel or utility. The 391 shoots a variety of loads -- powder charge and shot weight -- without drama. Its recoil also feels softer than the lighter Benellis.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
IMO the Beretta 391 is the most successful semi auto for clays. No other other auto has the same feel or utility. The 391 shoots a variety of loads -- powder charge and shot weight -- without drama. Its recoil also feels softer than the lighter Benellis.

Agreed. 391 is by far the best choice.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
I pulled the trigger on an AL391 Urika 2 Gold Sport 12ga/28”. Hoping to get it to the range shortly after it gets here!

Posts: 1010 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You made a good choice. I own a synthetic version. You will like it.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot an AL391 Teknys Gold Target on a number of occasions. I liked it very much. I think you'll be happy with your acquisition.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryanZ06:
I pulled the trigger on an AL391 Urika 2 Gold Sport 12ga/28”. Hoping to get it to the range shortly after it gets here!

There are two or three good videos on YouTube detailing the disassembly/cleaning/reassembly of the Beretta AL391. You'll find them useful when it's time to field strip, or if you just want a better idea of how it's put together.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Definitely can’t go wrong with a Beretta shotgun.I started the clay sports with a lowly Beretta A300 semiauto 12 gauge. Never had a hiccup and very soft shooting.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post